is my storage fast enough for my (really huge) project?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

SamBham

is my storage fast enough for my (really huge) project?

PostTue Dec 06, 2022 5:08 am

I produce and edit a live sporting event where we use a variety of different cameras, resolutions, formats, frame rates, etc (see below for full description). The 1st thing we do is sync all the cameras in a timeline (resizing each source into a checkerboard configuration). So, all the cameras are often running at once in the timeline.

I’m switching to Resolve from Premiere and wanted to make sure that my storage drives would not be a source of a logjam. They are NVMe drives via USB-C and read/ write around 1000Mb/s. According to my math given the info from each camera from MediaInfo’s figures, the total bitrate should be 502Mb/s, so well below what we have. But, I wanted to make sure I’m not misunderstanding anything. Am I looking at this correctly?

Thanks for any help and here are the cameras and bitrates:

Sony FS700 3840 × 2160 ProRes HQ 60p – 1748MB/s
BMD Pocket 6k 4096 x 2160 BRAW Q5 60fps – 241MB/s
Canon C300 Mk III 4096 x 2160 60p MXF files – 305MB/s
Panasonic EVA1 4096 x 2160 HEVC – 192MB/s
Canon EOS R 3840 × 2160 24p .MP4 AVC – 465MB/s
Drone 3840 × 2160 AVC 100MB/s
GoPro 11 Black 5312x2988 .MP4 HEVC 60p 120MB/s
GoPro 4 2704x1524 h.264 29.97 45MB/s
GoPro3 2704x1524 h.264 29.97
2 other 8-bit cameras shooting in 1080p24 AVC 65MB/s &
35MB/s
iPhone 13 3840 × 2160 ProRes HQ & HEVC 700MB/s
total = 4016 Mb/s
divide that by 8 (Mb to MB) = 502 MB/s

Andrew Revvo

Re: is my storage fast enough for my (really huge) project?

PostTue Dec 06, 2022 5:59 am

For best results SSD memory may be connected to the motherboard directly or over a PCIe card. It is the fastest way to access memory.

Also make sure that transition effects require to access two files in the overlapped areas, so the bandwidth may be corrected for these cases,

Also rendering to the same device may add additional limits.

Also most SSD have throttling to prevent overheating, so these such high speeds will be degraded if SSD is hot.

SamBham

PostTue Dec 06, 2022 6:36 am

Thanks for the help!! To follow up:

Andrew Revvo wrote:For best results SSD memory may be connected to the motherboard directly or over a PCIe card. It is the fastest way to access memory.

- this I can't do. I'm on an iMac and about to upgrade to an M1 MacBook Pro. It has to be external storage as neither of these have internal storage one can add to. So, it's either a USBC or USB4/ Thunderbolt connection to the drives.

Andrew Revvo wrote: Also rendering to the same device may add additional limits.

Also most SSD have throttling to prevent overheating, so these such high speeds will be degraded if SSD is hot.

- So, it would be better to do something like have one external drive hold the media and another be the drive where files are rendered, right? And yeah, the heat is a concern. I'm not used to working with NVMe drives and hope they'll do ok with things like thermal pads to connect them more directly to their metal enclosures.

Andrew Revvo wrote:Also make sure that transition effects require to access two files in the overlapped areas, so the bandwidth may be corrected for these cases,

- I'm sorry, but I'm a bit lost here. What do you mean by this?

Uli Plank

PostTue Dec 06, 2022 6:52 am

SamBham wrote:So, all the cameras are often running at once in the timeline.

Well, as much as I like my M1 MBP, this might be quite a challenge for such a machine. I'd rather invest into a beefy PC desktop.
The fastest external drive (apart from SSD RAIDs) I found for my Mac is a Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB in an Acasis enclosure. Yes, it has a thermal pad and it gets hot, but I experience no throttling. It can play footage from an Arri LF in RAW at 35 MB per frame @ 24 fps without a hiccup.
Don’t approach DR with your preconceptions from another NLE.
Many features are better, some worse, most are different.

Resolve Studio 18.1.2, MacOS 12.6.2
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM
and
iMac 2017, Radeon 580, 32 GB RAM
Speed Editor

SamBham

PostTue Dec 06, 2022 7:20 am

Thanks for that. I am planning on using proxies for the workflow. Right now I'm trying out ProRes Proxy files in full res for all the clips. It worked ok in Premiere on my 2017 iMac w/ a somewhat similar project for the edit, but was an absolute nightmare w color correction and buggy to the point of being unusable towards the end.

I actually have a two-drive external RAID 0 NVMe that runs around 2200Mb/s that I had thought of taking on the road. The enclosure itself is small, but the power brick is huge and heavy. I was more hoping I could get away with lighter drives, but if that's a bad idea, I can adapt. Another thought is to buy a couple extra NVMe drives and put them all in a 4-drive RAID 0 OWC 4M2. That should run around 2800Mb/s. It's just big and heavy for a portable drive.

As for using a PC over a Mac, I had to switch to Mac 15 years ago and I'm getting a bit old to learn how to use it on top of switching to Resolve. Apple sucked me in during those FCP days when all the indie folks were using it, and now I'm stuck--especially as I have their phone as well.

Another issue is that I have to be at least somewhat mobile. What we shot is part one of 6 of the series and I also have to check on a family member out of town once a week. But, if there are better options, computer or storage, I'm here to learn!

Uli Plank

PostTue Dec 06, 2022 8:10 am

Well, you won't need that RAID then, the enclosure I mentioned is reading at over 2.500.
And, sure, with ProRes proxies you should be fine, I was thinking of the decoding overhead for the formats not supported by Apple hardware.
Don’t approach DR with your preconceptions from another NLE.
Many features are better, some worse, most are different.

Resolve Studio 18.1.2, MacOS 12.6.2
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM
and
iMac 2017, Radeon 580, 32 GB RAM
Speed Editor

Return to DaVinci Resolve