Request for Advice on Reorganizing Files

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Challenger_Andy

Request for Advice on Reorganizing Files

PostTue Dec 06, 2022 12:26 am

Hello everyone. I had a rather open request for advice. I have been reorganizing a lot of my assets and files in order to work more efficiently. While a simple relinking will fix any issues with Resolve projects I have already started that have files moved, I was wondering if there is some way to relink files in which the file name has changed? I'm aware of replacing the problem file/clip with the newly named file in Resolve, but what is one to do if they forget what the file was supposed to be? Is there a different way I should go about renaming my files (that being, renaming the file outside of Resolve), or is there a way of relinking that does not use file name?
Streaming/Gaming YouTuber/Contract Video Editor
Resolve Studio 18.5.1 (Windows 10)
RTX 3070
Ryzen 7 5800
64GB RAM
Resolve (Free) (MacBook Pro, 2018)

GalinMcMahon

Re: Request for Advice on Reorganizing Files

PostTue Dec 06, 2022 12:53 am

You can relink to any file name manually on a file by file basis. If you're hoping to batch relink based on something like file size or metadata, I believe you're out of luck.
Water cooled Windows 11 laptop
i9 12th gen - 64GB RAM - 16GB 3080ti
2TB 4th gen nvme main - 4TB 4th gen nvme scratch
Micro panel (thank you BM :) ) - Stream Deck
Resolve Studio 18.5
BenQ ultrawide - DeckLink 4k mini via Sonnet - 48” LG C2 OLED

Uli Plank

PostTue Dec 06, 2022 1:25 am

Resolve has pretty good organisational tools, why mess with your files on OS level?
Organise your stuff before starting to work on it or just leave it alone. Heck, you can simply throw all your files into one folder at system level and still organise them in DR. You can even give the clips meaningful names in the NLE.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Challenger_Andy

PostTue Dec 06, 2022 5:49 pm

Uli Plank wrote:Resolve has pretty good organisational tools, why mess with your files on OS level?
Organise your stuff before starting to work on it or just leave it alone. Heck, you can simply throw all your files into one folder at system level and still organise them in DR. You can even give the clips meaningful names in the NLE.

Of course, it's better to rename from the start, but I am just not in that situation currently. And the reason for messing with files on the OS level is because I intend to use them in the future, and if they had proper names it would be easier to sort through. This of more of trying to fix a problem that exists now, not one I expect to come up much in the future due to better organizational practice
Streaming/Gaming YouTuber/Contract Video Editor
Resolve Studio 18.5.1 (Windows 10)
RTX 3070
Ryzen 7 5800
64GB RAM
Resolve (Free) (MacBook Pro, 2018)

Uli Plank

PostWed Dec 07, 2022 1:12 am

Then it's Galin's answer, I'm afraid.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Return to DaVinci Resolve