upgrade to 18 - help!!

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

JesseG

upgrade to 18 - help!!

PostWed Dec 07, 2022 4:03 am

I left a project for awhile and came back to it yesterday. I started by downloading and installing the update. Now when it goes to open it opens in project manager and a window asks me if I want to upgrade project library. It warns to backup library first so I clicked on cancel but then Im left in project manager with NO PROJECTS!!!!!
Im freaking out because my last backup says that the folder is empty!!!

double help where are all my projects??

Edit/update
Yes Ive now learned never to upgrade during a project :oops:

Thank you Shrinivas Ramani for your suggestion!

The problem is that there are NO PROJECTS at all listed in the library where you suggested and only one that just says "videos" under the local heading. The empty videos folder says it is in a harddrive that I have only ever used as a backup for footage and I might have had it connected to the laptop while the upgrade was happening. Its not even connected to my laptop. I tried copying it to my OS harddrive and it did it which makes no sense since it is not, as I said, connected to my computer.

I found what I thought was a backup of everything and tried to import that but its only one of the practice projects and it says all of the media is offline. even worse it is no longer offering to upgrade my old library.

Im so confused and despondent. Is there a way to reverse the update all together??

Also I had a paid version of the software and I might have updated to the freeware.

Edit update:
I never found my backups but I upgraded my library and all went well , no data corruption. Phew! I then read the 3rd chapter(pg66) of the user manual in the help menu and learned how to use the manager to sort and locate my backups.
Last edited by JesseG on Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RCModelReviews

Re: upgrade to 18 - help!!

PostWed Dec 07, 2022 6:14 am

*NEVER* update whilst in the middle of a project <-- 20/20 hindsight.
Resolve 18.1 Studio, Fusion 9 Studio
CPU: i7 8700, OS: Windows 10 32GB RAM, GPU: RTX3060
I'm refugee from Sony Vegas slicing video for my YouTube channels.

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Dec 07, 2022 6:35 am

Hi Jesse

The project library's internal structure reflects tools, settings and other information on your project. These tools and settings and parameters depend on the version. Upgrading a library modifies your older projects to add these new structures and makes them usable by the newer Resolve version. The downside is, older Resolves will not be able to read them - logically, if you try to load a Resolve 18 project in (say) Resolve 14, it would not know what a magic mask was.

To play it safe, do this:
1. Restart Resolve, refuse the update.
2. In the project manager, under the Local tab, if the project library listing is not seen, click the sidebar icon on the top left next to the "Projects" title to view project libraries.
3. Right click on a project library, choose Reveal in Finder (or Reveal in Explorer).
Screen Shot 2022-12-07 at 14.27.51.png
reveal in finder
Screen Shot 2022-12-07 at 14.27.51.png (16.62 KiB) Viewed 914 times

4. This should open and highlight a folder. This FAQ shows the default project library path for Resolve. I've included a screenshot of a project libraries I made in a custom location. See below for what a custom location looks like. Copy this folder to a safe spot (a backup) - zip it if you need to.
Screen Shot 2022-12-07 at 14.24.20.png
highlighted folder
Screen Shot 2022-12-07 at 14.24.20.png (12.88 KiB) Viewed 914 times

5. You can now switch back to Resolve and opt to upgrade this project library.
6. If for some reason you want to go back to your earlier version of Resolve, you have the backed up folder (or zip file) that you can point the older Resolve to (Project Manager > Add Project Library > Connect > Browse)

Regards
Shrinivas

JesseG

PostWed May 10, 2023 10:04 pm

Thank you very much!
I successfully did it!

Haribol108

PostThu Aug 17, 2023 9:15 pm

I have upgraded to 18.5 without exporting any database, as I though it would just work as usual. I was in a middle of one project.
And now as I’ve opened new version I’m asked “Upgrade project library? We recommend that you backup your existing project library before upgrading”
And the one selected is davincilibrary14. I guess it was my old one but I’m not sure.

I don’t understand if I should upgrade or not. There is no option to backup. I can just upgrade or cancel. I’m afraid to press any button.

It feels like 90s again

Jim Simon

PostFri Aug 18, 2023 7:34 pm

Haribol108 wrote:I have upgraded to 18.5 without exporting any database

homer-doh-for-web.gif
homer-doh-for-web.gif (7.77 KiB) Viewed 432 times
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Steve Alexander

PostSat Aug 19, 2023 2:41 pm

Haribol108 wrote:I have upgraded to 18.5 without exporting any database, as I though it would just work as usual. I was in a middle of one project.
And now as I’ve opened new version I’m asked “Upgrade project library? We recommend that you backup your existing project library before upgrading”
And the one selected is davincilibrary14. I guess it was my old one but I’m not sure.

I don’t understand if I should upgrade or not. There is no option to backup. I can just upgrade or cancel. I’m afraid to press any button.

It feels like 90s again

Don't upgrade it (cancel), uninstall Resolve and then install the old version and from there, perform a database backup for each of your databases. Save them in a safe place in case you need to roll-back to the older version of Resolve. If you let the new version of Resolve convert those databases you won't be able to roll-back. You can also apply this approach to backing up individual projects (DRP) - you need to do this with the old version before upgrading Resolve. People who have been doing this for a long time will also tell you that you shouldn't upgrade your system during a project - only between projects.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

Return to DaVinci Resolve