Resolve Fusion, track Paint Node

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Sean van Berlo

Resolve Fusion, track Paint Node

PostThu Dec 08, 2022 9:02 am

I'm being dumb but I can't figure out how to track a Paint node in Fusion. I painted a polyline stroke. If I create a planar tracker transform using planar tracker and feed the Paint node and the Planar Transform into a merge node that should track the polyline stroke, right? I can't get it to work. Thanks a lot in advance!

timewilltell

Re: Resolve Fusion, track Paint Node

PostThu Dec 08, 2022 1:23 pm

Sean van Berlo wrote:I'm being dumb but I can't figure out how to track a Paint node in Fusion. I painted a polyline stroke. If I create a planar tracker transform using planar tracker and feed the Paint node and the Planar Transform into a merge node that should track the polyline stroke, right? I can't get it to work. Thanks a lot in advance!

There's many ways of tracking nodes, using a planar transform, you just plug it in after the paint node.
If you are using a paint node by itself, not connected to anything, you may need to merge it with a background node first. Set the background node to 0 - alpha so it's transparent (if you want that)

No merge node needed between the paint node and planar transform. One thing that can happen is that the polyline stroke may jump to another position if it is painted on another frame than the planar transforms reference frame (which you can find on the planar transform). And if it is a very small stroke, it may (they might have fixed it now) not track but just disappear after a while. In that case, use a Set domain (DOD) after the paint node and then the planar track.

If the paint is a mask node, make sure you feed it in the background (yellow) dot in the planar transform and not the blue dot (mask input) which is usually defaults to.

Return to DaVinci Resolve