Speed downhill and Davinci experience

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Israel Diaz Torralba

Speed downhill and Davinci experience

PostTue Dec 06, 2022 9:29 pm

Goodnight,

I am noticing several things in the davinci 18 that as I do upgrades it gets worse and worse.

1.- The issue of having to confirm before was not there, I leave an image
replace-gardes.JPG
replace-gardes.JPG (172.96 KiB) Viewed 997 times

2.- The speed of editing work has dropped significantly and even though I have changed the graphics card from a 1070ti to a 3080ti with 12GB, from version 17 to 18 the speed drop is terrible. I do not understand that they say that performance has improved, for me it is certainly much worse, even making it sometimes intractable.

3.- When you put filters in Farlight, delays are produced and the biggest mistake is when you put a timeline in the preview with effects in Farlight, it goes very badly and at the wrong time.
efecto-farlight_2.JPG
efecto-farlight_2.JPG (203.07 KiB) Viewed 997 times

efecto-farlight.JPG
efecto-farlight.JPG (23.78 KiB) Viewed 997 times

Is anyone else doing bad or have you noticed slowdowns, sync failures, and excessive confirmation banners on copying nodes?
Last edited by Israel Diaz Torralba on Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Israel Diaz Torralba

Re: Speed downhill and Davinci experience

PostWed Dec 07, 2022 8:16 am

hello,

no one knows this

reggards

ohimbz

PostWed Dec 07, 2022 9:51 am

Check to see if by some mistake your GPU is not using OpenCL instead of CUDA.

Nvidia is really slow with OpenCL
Ryzen 5800X
G.Skill 32GB 3600 CL14
RX 6800XT 16GB
Resolve Studio 18.5
Windows 11

Israel Diaz Torralba

PostWed Dec 07, 2022 10:51 am

ohimbz wrote:Check to see if by some mistake your GPU is not using OpenCL instead of CUDA.

Nvidia is really slow with OpenCL

Hello

I am using Cuda

gpu.JPG
gpu.JPG (72.41 KiB) Viewed 906 times

And the problem with the window of confirmation when I copy grading node....?

reggards

Steve Alexander

PostWed Dec 07, 2022 1:02 pm

What happens if you remove the 3rd party audio plugins such as RX 7?
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

Jim Simon

PostWed Dec 07, 2022 3:24 pm

I don't think issue 2 is normal. Have you tested a new project created in a Library that was created specifically in version 18, not an older Database that was converted?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

John Paines

PostWed Dec 07, 2022 3:30 pm

Third-party VST plugins like RX7 are not qualified for Resolve. You will not get reliable performance. These are best applied in the RX7 interface, via external audio processes.

Israel Diaz Torralba

PostWed Dec 07, 2022 5:19 pm

Hello,

The treatment of the audio is done with external vst of waves, if this is the cause, then surely yes, because the audio starts to fail after a while, it breaks and you have to restart davinci. I think Davinci should have better support and more when it doesn't have tools as good as those.
If you compose timelines and compose clips immediately the failures begin.

At present davinci as far as I know we have no options to have a dynamic equalizer with sidechains so in audio it is quite behind.

Nobody knows how to remove the warning sign that appears when you are copying gradings?

reggards

Israel Diaz Torralba

PostThu Dec 08, 2022 2:52 pm

Hello,

I hope this clarify the problem with the vst and Davinci, in my case with a I7 and 64gb and 3800ti 12gb it is only can put 9 vst effects before crash

Maybe they are thinking of selling us a sound accelerator card, but it is not very acceptable that with 9 effects the system falls

reggards

John Paines

PostThu Dec 08, 2022 3:20 pm

I understand you're unhappy, but the Izotope plugin you applied is not qualified for Resolve. If you ask Izotope, they'll tell you. There's no latency correction, artifacts commonly occur, etc. You can still apply them with external audio processes, which involves bouncing out the audio and replacing it with a rendered version. This is easy to do in Resolve, but obviously doesn't offer the ease and convenience of a plugin.

Folks here routinely insist that they use Izotope plugins and get perfect results, but as you've seen, it's not true. And the more audio fx piled on, the worse it gets. One plugin might work acceptably, depending. Maybe BMD can clarify, but I don't think the audio accelerator will help for third-party plugins.

Israel Diaz Torralba

PostThu Dec 08, 2022 4:20 pm

John Paines wrote:ohn Paine

Yes, I am aware that waves and other firms do not support Blackmagic and it is not approved. But maybe it's about time that blackmagic did something about it so that it works just as well as in protools, audition.....
Blackmagic doesn't really support vst audio plugins in real production.

Applying it externally is not an option in real production, it's like editing photos in Lightroom or going to Photoshop, production times skyrocket and it's impractical.

John, you don't know anything about how to remove the alert window?

Thanks for everything

Robert Niessner

PostThu Dec 08, 2022 5:11 pm

I saw in the video you are using several instances of Waves' Clarity VX Pro.

This is what Waves support is saying:
In the matter of Clarity VX Pro's CPU usage - the plugin does require an extensive amount of CPU and we advise users to not open more instances than needed. About the AudioSuite, I can advise you only to set a high buffer size for Clarity VX Pro to perform better.
You can also try and remove unnecessary plugins from the session, or bounce off the audio once processed with Clarity VX Pro.

Source

You could bounce your audio track or cache the audio track to reduce the CPU load.
There as BMD tutorial on this:
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Israel Diaz Torralba

PostThu Dec 08, 2022 6:24 pm

Robert Niessner wrote:I saw in the video you are using several instances of Waves' Clarity VX Pro.

This is what Waves support is saying:
In the matter of Clarity VX Pro's CPU usage - the plugin does require an extensive amount of CPU and we advise users to not open more instances than needed. About the AudioSuite, I can advise you only to set a high buffer size for Clarity VX Pro to perform better.
You can also try and remove unnecessary plugins from the session, or bounce off the audio once processed with Clarity VX Pro.

Source

You could bounce your audio track or cache the audio track to reduce the CPU load.
There as BMD tutorial on this:

Hello Robert,

Yes I have 3 instances of clarity and I will see the video that you send me I think it is very nice.

For the first question remove windows alert when copy nodes....

Thank you for all

Israel Diaz Torralba

PostThu Jan 19, 2023 8:35 pm

Hello,

Well, with regard to audio, I changed the computer this month and set up a new computer with an i9 128gb... 3080ti, there you have the technical specifications... in the description of the vídeo https://youtube.com/shorts/MIPylh_Vjyw

But everything remains the same, it will be because it does not accept clarify, neutron well...

In the power test with respect to the mac studio it gets 33% performance. as seen in the images.

My computer
WhatsApp Image 2023-01-07 at 21.11.41.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2023-01-07 at 21.11.41.jpeg (99.16 KiB) Viewed 502 times

That being said, the audio issue persists and this did not happen before in previous versions.

Mac studio
WhatsApp Image 2023-01-12 at 13.59.35.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2023-01-12 at 13.59.35.jpeg (129.98 KiB) Viewed 502 times

Even due to the failures of being able to manage the mp4 content of an A7III well, I have transcoded all the clips to proress because it continues to hit jerks.

I think davinci is not optimized in the versions of these last 4 months.

configuracion-computadora.png
configuracion-computadora.png (102.52 KiB) Viewed 502 times

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostFri Jan 20, 2023 12:56 am

the confirmation in applying grades is new and I also dislike it....
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Return to DaVinci Resolve