Multiple Clips from same camera in Cut Page fix?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

scarysavannah

Multiple Clips from same camera in Cut Page fix?

PostFri Dec 09, 2022 2:22 pm

I am trying to use the cut page to do a 3 camera edit (Lumix G95).

The cameras I am using create multiple files per shot, so even though I have three cameras with a continuous shot, there are actually nine files.
I have named each camera (camera 1, camera 2, camera 3) in the meta data.

When I go to sync bin, it only sees the first clip from each camera, the others are gone.
If I name the cameras 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, or any other convention, they'll all show up in the sync bin sync, but all on different tracks.

I am using the speed editor so I'd really like these all to be on the same track for associated camera.

If I could manually put them in in the correct order that would work, but it doesn't look like you can.
If I open the sync on the edit page in "show in timeline" I can see all the tracks, but you can't pull them up or down.

I also tried to create compound clips to "join" them together to create the three files, but the sync bin ignores compound clips in the cut page.

Is there any work around to make this happen? Or am I just doing something wrong?
I looked through the manual and searched the forums and couldn't find an answer to this issue.

Mark A

Re: Multiple Clips from same camera in Cut Page fix?

PostFri Dec 09, 2022 11:47 pm

What version of Resolve are you using? Does the "Camera #" that you tagged them with show up in the multi-view window after you sync them?

Mark A

PostSat Dec 10, 2022 1:36 am

It seems like you're saying the cameras recorded the same information in 3 different file formats for each continuous shot. In that case just load the files with the best resolution.

If you start and stop the cameras along the way then each file would contain different information and you could put them on different timelines.

SkierEvans

PostSat Dec 10, 2022 5:16 pm

I think they may have been AVCHD files which have a 4 G limit so the camera kept recording continuous but files are split at 4 G, about 20 mins so one hour would have three files continuous but separate files. I think in the edit page it will work. But I have had the same issue with longer files that are separated by an interval in theatre show. I have had to do one act at a time in CUT page but can sync both acts in the edit page.
Threadripper 1920, Gigabyte X399 DESIGNARE EX, 32G RAM, Gigabyte 4070Ti 12G, ASUS PB328Q, IP4K, WIN10 Pro 22H2, Speed Editor

Resolve Studio 18, EDIUS 9WG,EDIUS X WG, Vegas 18

Studio Max M1 24 core GPU, 32G, 1T drive. iPad Pro 12.9` M2 16G, 1T

Mark A

PostSat Dec 10, 2022 7:43 pm

Now I understand what you mean. I had that problem once with a pair of Panasonic camcorders that I borrowed several years ago. It caught me by surprise when I began to edit. I've avoided Panasonic cameras since then. That was before I started using Resolve.

The reason I asked what version of Resolve you're using is because I've had a major problem with the Sync Bin multi-cam viewer that began when I updated to version 18.1 and 18.1.1.

scarysavannah

PostThu Dec 15, 2022 1:40 am

that is the case - I can do it in the edit page but it won't sync in the cut page. I really wanted to use the cut page due to having the speed editor, but guess I'll just make do with it.

SkierEvans

PostFri Dec 16, 2022 7:04 pm

Mark A wrote:Now I understand what you mean. I had that problem once with a pair of Panasonic camcorders that I borrowed several years ago. It caught me by surprise when I began to edit. I've avoided Panasonic cameras since then. That was before I started using Resolve.

The reason I asked what version of Resolve you're using is because I've had a major problem with the Sync Bin multi-cam viewer that began when I updated to version 18.1 and 18.1.1.

Nothing to do with Panasonic as Sony and Canon also have AVCHD record capability. You just need to know what codec is being used. My cameras are Panasonic but record in h264 or h265. My comment to time between files on the CUT page is an issue with any of the files I have tried from h264 to Prores. It seems to manage if there is one continuous file covering the total time but if , as is the case for a theatre show with 20 min interval, it does not work at all.
Threadripper 1920, Gigabyte X399 DESIGNARE EX, 32G RAM, Gigabyte 4070Ti 12G, ASUS PB328Q, IP4K, WIN10 Pro 22H2, Speed Editor

SkierEvans

PostFri Dec 16, 2022 7:50 pm

scarysavannah wrote:that is the case - I can do it in the edit page but it won't sync in the cut page. I really wanted to use the cut page due to having the speed editor, but guess I'll just make do with it.

You can always put them on the edit page together and export as a single file. Then use that file in the CUT page. If it is AVCHD you will loose nothing if you render a Prores, DNxHD or HQX file.

Mark A

PostMon Feb 27, 2023 11:16 pm

If you put all the clips on a timeline, export and then import it back in it seems like they will lose their timecode information.

Return to DaVinci Resolve