What steps do I take before Clean Uninstall?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

cottontail

What steps do I take before Clean Uninstall?

PostMon Jan 30, 2023 12:09 pm

Hello,

DaVinci Resolve has started behaving strangely. It has become buggy and is now starting to crash.

From what I can tell the issue isn't buffering within DaVinci Resolve itself but Windows 10,
The blue 'loading' circle keeps popping up every 20 seconds or so as if it is loading something.
it stops progress for about 5 seconds before I can continue.

Task manager tells me nothing is being loaded. My GPU revs up but it's not actually doing anything.

it's has now crashed on me 3 times and flickered 2 or 3 times also.

If anyone knows the issue please make a suggestion

otherwise:

What steps should I take to perform a Clean Reinstall, while being able to keep my project files and all the important stuff?

Does a database backup achieve this? or should I save specific folders as well?

John Lewis

Re: What steps do I take before Clean Uninstall?

PostTue Jan 31, 2023 7:05 am

Always Deactivate Resolve
I9 9900k, 32mb Ram, GTX1070Ti, IP4K, ZE1OI, Bcf2000, Loupedeck CT, Resolve 18.64 SpeedEditor

ohimbz

PostTue Jan 31, 2023 9:00 am

1. Make a database backup ( i usually do it on an OneDrive folder location for cloud backup)

1.1 You can also export your projects as individuals DRP files.

2. If you have 2 PCs deactivate your license first (just to avoid reactivating the other device as well after install)
3. Keep your current DB folder intact since you can actually use this location to connect your new Resolve install to it, scratch this one only if you still have issues and use the backup DB from #1.

Press Connect then browse for the location

connect.jpg
connect.jpg (13.02 KiB) Viewed 257 times

4. Don't forget to backup your keyboard shortcuts if you use custom layout

PS: Live saves can actually create a "laggy" editing session on large projects, while i find the feature awesome i also hate that it stalls the larger my projects get. Same with thumbnails in timeline, the editing gets verry choppy because the generation of thumbnails is a resource hog.
Ryzen 5800X
G.Skill 32GB 3600 CL14
RX 6800XT 16GB
Resolve Studio 18.5
Windows 11

cottontail

PostThu Feb 02, 2023 4:14 pm

thanks for the guidance

ohimbz wrote:1. Make a database backup ( i usually do it on an OneDrive folder location for cloud backup)

1.1 You can also export your projects as individuals DRP files.

2. If you have 2 PCs deactivate your license first (just to avoid reactivating the other device as well after install)
3. Keep your current DB folder intact since you can actually use this location to connect your new Resolve install to it, scratch this one only if you still have issues and use the backup DB from #1.

Press Connect then browse for the location

connect.jpg

4. Don't forget to backup your keyboard shortcuts if you use custom layout

PS: Live saves can actually create a "laggy" editing session on large projects, while i find the feature awesome i also hate that it stalls the larger my projects get. Same with thumbnails in timeline, the editing gets verry choppy because the generation of thumbnails is a resource hog.

The problem stopped by turning off live save, but then started working properly again 2 days later, on the same project. I don't know if disabling other timeline had an impact. I doubt it as it wasn't instantaneous.

It seems to have simply corrected itself.

This kind of software is dense and complex. and so it's a miracle it doesn't have more issues.

Return to DaVinci Resolve