Is there a way to hide curve and keyframe control in the tim

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

chocotrucco

Is there a way to hide curve and keyframe control in the tim

PostTue Mar 16, 2021 3:33 pm

Is there a way to hide curve and keyframe control in the timeline clip region?
Screen grab Attached
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-03-16 at 9.27.11.png
curve keyframe clip region
Screen Shot 2021-03-16 at 9.27.11.png (11.59 KiB) Viewed 2856 times

Jim Simon

Re: Is there a way to hide curve and keyframe control in the

PostTue Mar 16, 2021 5:40 pm

Click those icons to open/close the panels.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

chocotrucco

PostWed Mar 17, 2021 3:54 pm

Hi thank you, Im talking about actually hiding the controls themselves. They are exactly where I keep pressing them accidentally when I want to trim fast.

Jim Simon

PostThu Mar 18, 2021 4:12 pm

The only way to lose the icons is to remove all keyframes.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Sean Nelson

PostThu Mar 18, 2021 5:26 pm

chocotrucco wrote:Hi thank you, Im talking about actually hiding the controls themselves. They are exactly where I keep pressing them accidentally when I want to trim fast.

I've had similar issues myself. The way to avoid it is to program your brain not to press the mouse button until you see the mouse cursor change to the "trim" shape. You have to make a conscious effort to do this over a few days and then it'll become second nature.
DR Studio 18.6.4 Build 6, Win10Pro x64 22H2/19045.3570
Asus C246 Pro Motherboard, Xeon E-2278G@3.4GHz, 64GB ECC RAM
GeForce 3060 12GB, "Studio" driver 512.15
OS,Library: 1TB NVMe SSD - Project,Cache: 1TB NVMe SSD

brediknight

PostThu Mar 18, 2021 7:23 pm

Sean Nelson wrote:
chocotrucco wrote:Hi thank you, Im talking about actually hiding the controls themselves. They are exactly where I keep pressing them accidentally when I want to trim fast.

I've had similar issues myself. The way to avoid it is to program your brain not to press the mouse button until you see the mouse cursor change to the "trim" shape. You have to make a conscious effort to do this over a few days and then it'll become second nature.

well, just learn it and cope. that approach could go on, and on, and on... lol

That wasn't his question.

The answer is no. you can't hide the icons which are actually buttons on every clip.

GeorgeGross

PostTue Jan 31, 2023 11:47 pm

I'd like to just add that I am also very annoyed by those keyframe icons on the clips in the timeline. Pretty much all of my video and audio clips tend to have something going on, so the keyframe icon is always there. I too often hit it on accident while adjusting the length of the tail end of the clip. I too often hit it when Im grabbing a clip to move it as well.

I will continue to try not to hit it, but it would be great if there was a way to turn on/off the keyframe icon on the clip in the timeline.

jercasper

PostTue Feb 21, 2023 5:02 pm

For the most part, I've really loved Da Vinci Resolve. But the curve and keyframe icons on the timeline is a real problem! It's a terrible UI. (NOTE: I like the icons being on the timeline, but there has to be a better place to put them.)

I have a feeling that DaVinci's solution to the problem is to use CUT mode, but CUT mode is cumbersome, limiting, not intuitive, and not at all the way editors have been editing for nearly two decades. I want to cut everything in edit mode (and there's no reason I shouldn't be able to - I can't tell you how many editors I've worked with who scratch their heads at Resolve's CUT mode and ask, "Why is it even there?") The ability to easily select cuts is crucial to being able to edit rapidly. I'm a very speedy editor, except when it comes to adding transitions in Resolve. I'm constantly having to enlarge my timeline, hover over the side of the cut I want to select, and hope that I'm able to jump into trim mode without accidentally activating the keyframe menu. It's infuriating.

Having edited professionally since 1999 on pretty much every NLE system that's been on the market, I'm kind of shocked this issue hasn't already been addressed.

sharchikizo

PostWed Apr 05, 2023 3:09 pm

Just adding another voice to this, incredibly frustrating to constantly be opening and closing these when they can so easily be mapped to shortcuts (Like I already have) so we have complete control to quickly access different curve editors but just accidentally clicking these leaves no room to move your dang clips around. I'm tryin to edit here!!!

TKane13

PostWed May 03, 2023 11:20 pm

The other really annoying thing about this is when you open it by accident and then close it your timeline moves south for no apparent reason. It should just pop back to where it was.

Joe Shapiro

PostThu May 04, 2023 12:06 am

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.6
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

Jim Simon

PostThu May 04, 2023 2:02 pm

TKane13 wrote:your timeline moves south for no apparent reason.
I've never seen that happen, myself.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

sharchikizo

PostMon Aug 07, 2023 4:55 pm

Opening this thread again.

THIS NEEDS TO BE AN OPTION WE CAN DISABLE!

These features are already accessible with a keyboard shortcut.

And also WOULD NOT BE NECESSARY if there was a dedicated keyframe window like Premiere has. Or like FUSION ALREADY HAS (Just for basic keyframing and not the million different things fusion can do.)

A dedicated window would allow you to see and adjust multiple keyframes instead of Davinci's insanely cumbersome dropdown menu on each clip, which AGAIN just opens the clip and makes ur timeline a confusing vertical mess.

Especially if you accidentally click it on a clip and move to some other part of the timeline. You now have to HUNT for that clip that was opened and click the icon to close it.

NOT TO MENTION these icons are accessible with keyboard shortcuts, so having them as clickable things in the timeline, where mouse travel and real-estate for clicking on much more important things.... like you know... trimming and moving clips! is way more valuable than needing to keyframe.

Often times we're not even keyframing we're just reframing a shot, and as soon as you do that without any keyframes even placed, those damn icons ruin your day.

Remove them. Please. Please for every new feature you put out that is AMAZING I will tout how great DaVinci is but this is PRIORITY ONE THAT NEEDS TO BE CHANGED YESTERDAY!

Adding transitions, moving clips, and trimming is the slowest of any NLE on the market, and purely because of these icons being in the way.

DaVinci is so fast in EVERY OTHER RESPECT so it's worth it still to be here, but PLEEEEEEASSE FIX THIS.

(I'm a proud DaVinci Studio owner btw, so happy to pay for an upgrade to get this fixed!!!!)

Return to DaVinci Resolve