Round-trip workflow, remote premier editor using proxy files

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Drew Gauley

Round-trip workflow, remote premier editor using proxy files

PostFri Feb 03, 2023 4:55 pm

Hello Davinci Resolve experts!
I'm working on a project with my Adobe Premiere editor remotely, they are in a different town. We share files via dropbox and use proxy files thus far. The edit is close to completion and I would like to do colour correction at my location. We know that he can export a .XML file, send that to me where I can re-link the proxy files with camera originals to do the colour correction work.

What do I send back to him in high resolution to apply transitions, on screen text, effects etc. I'm expecting to output a ProRes 422 file and wonder specifically how will transitions work, since he will need some extra head and tail for each clip to do the transition… or is there a different approach to this?
Thanks, Drew

Andy Mees

Re: Round-trip workflow, remote premier editor using proxy f

PostFri Feb 03, 2023 9:13 pm

If you manage the process correctly, you will send back a new XML file plus multiple individual clips, being the graded media. When the editor imports the XML to Premiere it will create a new timeline that references that graded media. They can then merge that with their existing project. You do not have to add handles to the graded media during delivery as all frames required to exactly reconstitute the timeline will automatically be generated by Resolve as part of the export... however adding handles will give your editor the potential for a little leeway to make very minor timing changes should the need arise. That might be appreciated.

Number one suggestion for you at this point is that you run through this roundtrip process end to end, using a simplified test timeline, before you continue. Once you are both comfortable with the procedure, then cary on as intended.
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

Jim Simon

PostFri Feb 03, 2023 9:24 pm

Andy Mees wrote:adding handles will give your editor the potential for a little leeway to make very minor timing changes
Won't hey also be required to add transitions?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Andy Mees

PostFri Feb 03, 2023 10:15 pm

Hey Jim. Yep, fair point, Drew mentioned that the edit is already close to completion, so my assumption is the transitions are already in the edit and hence will be described in the XML export from Premiere. Transitions in the XML should carry through to the Resolve timeline, and from the Resolve timeline 'Individual clip' delivery will automatically render any frames falling within transition periods. You'd only need to explicitly add handles 'for transitions' if you were planning on adding those transitions after the fact. If that's the case, yes, adding handles would allow the editor to make minor timing adjustments (as noted) like trims... or adding transitions.

Uli Plank

PostSat Feb 04, 2023 3:04 am

By far not all transitions are getting across. The standard 'video' dissolve does, but the (IMHO nicer) 'film' version doesn't. Dissolves to white or black do, even a wipe. All others don't get across and arrive as dissolves. Asymmetrical transitions will be getting centered to the cut.

So, check carefully, I'd recommend a reference clip.

I wrote a lengthy article on round tripping. It's in German, but DeepL should help:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ip58u11xundbl ... s.pdf?dl=0
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Jim Simon

PostSat Feb 04, 2023 3:29 pm

The OP says...What do I send back to him in high resolution to apply transitions...

That's why I asked.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Uli Plank

PostSun Feb 05, 2023 2:14 am

But that's easy: ProRes 422 HQ with some handles for most sources. Maybe ProRes 4444 if the sources are from a high-end camera.
It was a bit unclear who is applying the transitions – both sides or only the editor?
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Drew Gauley

PostSun Feb 12, 2023 10:19 pm

Thank you for all the suggestions! It has proven to be too glitchy for this project but we'll keep trying in future. The path of least resistance for this was to export the unedited clips with color correction etc applied and my editor will be able to simply replace and we're done.

Return to DaVinci Resolve