Probable Scam Impersonating Blackmagic Designs

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

poormansdiy

Probable Scam Impersonating Blackmagic Designs

PostSun Feb 05, 2023 3:48 am

I have a small YouTube channel with 8000 subscribers and 1,000,000+ views. I have had nine companies contact me and ask to collaborate, usually by reviewing their products. I received the following message
Dear Potential Partner:

Our company is pleased to announce that you and your YouTube channel in particular was chosen to promote our newest software "DaVinci Resolve".
We've been actively following your work on YouTube and basing on our conclusions we are sure that we can be useful to each other!
If you are interested in our offer, please reply to this email and we will send you a media kit which includes a promotional video and the terms of the advertising contract!

Best regards,

John Bahringer
Customer Service Representative of Blackmagic Design

I was originally honored to be contacted by Blackmagic for a possible collaboration and it never once dawned on me that this could be a scam. I looked closely at the return addresses and one was from a ".cz" address and the others were strange. They sent me and exe file with a password just for me and indicated the contract is contained in the archive folder after I install it. I started to realize they are trying to get me to install a file on my computer. I reached out to a contact address at Blackmagic to see if they really are wanting to work with my channel or if it was a scam but have not heard back. I will gladly provide all email info and the exe file for the company to use to go after scammers if that is the case.

Poor Man's DIY

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Probable Scam Impersonating Blackmagic Designs

PostSun Feb 05, 2023 5:03 am

Thanks for reporting. It’s not BMD.
Please PM me the details and I’ll have the lawyers chase them.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

RCModelReviews

PostSun Feb 05, 2023 8:41 am

This is an increasingly common scam and many YouTubers are being caught out.

The scammers offer a sponsorship to YouTubers and require that you download a file that (as described) allegedly contains a contract, review guidelines and sometimes even a copy of the software that is supposed to be reviewed.

In reality, the file contains malware that allows the scammers to steal critical bits of information such as your session cookies for YouTube. Once they have the session cookie they can effectively take over your channel and lock you out. Even two-factor-authentication will not prevent this from happening because the cookie makes it look as if they are you and they are already logged in. The first thing they do is change your account password so you're unable to get back in.

Some of the malware will also steal anything else of value (such as credit card numbers, passwords, etc).

I've received probably a dozen or so of these emails myself, inviting me to do sponsored reviews of a heap of different software products including video editors such as Filmora and I personally know a couple of otherwise quite smart creators who've lost their channels to this scam.

Once the scammers have your youtube channel they usually rename that channel delete (or private) all your videos and start posting scams such those which use Elon Musk videos to promise a two-for-one Bitcoin deal.

This is one of the reasons that I never take sponsorships and always remember the old saying: If it sounds too good to be true...
Resolve 18.1 Studio, Fusion 9 Studio
CPU: i7 8700, OS: Windows 10 32GB RAM, GPU: RTX3060
I'm refugee from Sony Vegas slicing video for my YouTube channels.

roger.magnusson

PostSun Feb 05, 2023 9:35 am

whatdamath

PostTue Feb 14, 2023 8:27 am

Hi
I run a medium sized YouTube channel and started getting these as well.
Wanted to let others know in order to make this easily visible when people are googling for this

As someone already using Resolve I was actually intrigued by the offer to promote the product, but it quickly dawned on me this was a scam

It seems to generally comes from a person claiming to be a Blackmagic employee and for some reason they like the name Helen (mine was from Helen Nelson, others have it from Helen Dixon)
It came from .cz addresses before but this time they are sending it from @hey.com - a free email service that's a bit less known

They do a few emails back and forth which usually ends in a fake contract and most important an .exe executable that they claim contains the contract and other details but is in reality a trojan horse meant to take over your channel

There is no other information they provided to indicate who's doing this, but I'm curious to see if I could run these on some old desktop just to track where the trojan points afterwards

mrvnbrn

PostMon Sep 04, 2023 8:48 pm

I've got this scam offer as well. I just registered in order to share the details:

1.mail: sent from: black_magic@kakao.com
"Deeply respected Potential Partner:}

Our company noticed your content on your YouTube channel. We liked your professionalism and your potential, so we chose you as the promoter of our software "DaVinci Resolve 18".
If you are ready to cooperate with us and work with us, reply to this email and we will send you all the terms and conditions and a promotional video.

Cordially,

John Bahringer
Customer Service Representative of Blackmagic Design, Inc.

Copyright 2023 Blackmagic Design. All rights reserved. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. |
Blackmagic Design, Inc.
Lõõtsa 5, 11415 Tallinn, Estonia"

2. mail: sent by the same adress ***WARNING: THE LINKS ARE TROJANS***
"Well, I hope we can agree on mutually beneficial terms!

I will tell you a little about our product "Davinci Resolve 18" This is a program for editing videos, movies.

Built-in plugins for visual effects, as well as the speed of the program are our main advantages.

Also read the information listed below, it is related to a confidential work condition.

1. Our offer for 60 seconds of integration is $500-$5000, if you do not agree, send us your offer.

2. You will need to place a trailer at the beginning of your video

3. Download the archive, read the contract and send a copy of it

4. After sending the contract, we will send 50% of the payment

5. The contract will contain all the information about our cooperation

6. The method of receiving funds is specified in the contract.

To view the cooperation agreement in PDF format, as well as the trailer, please follow this link:

MEGA: *link 1*

DROPBOX: *link 2*

GOOGLE DRIVE: *link 3*

MediaFire: *link 4*

Your personal password to log in to the archive: Davinci

Quick instructions.

1. Install the archive on your Windows computer (you can find the archive via Dropbox or Mega link).

2. Unpack the archive. Your password for the archive is Davinci (if you can't unpack the archive, install WinRAR).

3. Watch the promo and read the contract. Please fill out the contract, which is in the archive. After you fill it out, please send it to our email (please don't just write to this email, just send a copy of the contract). After you have done all this, write to me so that I can transfer you 50%

Also, if we see a positive result from you, we plan a long cooperation. if you still have any questions, you can contact me at the contacts below

© Copyright 2023 Blackmagic Design. All rights reserved. Dreamtale trademarks are owned by Blackmagic Design and may be registered. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

--------- 원본 메일 ---------
보낸사람: *my name* <*my e-mail*>
받는사람: black_magic <black_magic@kakao.com>
날짜: 23.09.02 20:53 +GMT +0900
제목: Re: Adverising Offer For You BlackMagic Inc YT"

*** WARNING: THE LINKS ARE TROJANS***

Return to DaVinci Resolve