Paste at Playhead - Again

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

paultom

Paste at Playhead - Again

PostSun Feb 05, 2023 11:22 am

Hi all,

The option to 'only' paste at playhead is a topic that arises regularly on the forums, and years after it was first requested as a 'missing feature', a simple checkbox to enable this option for those of us that want it is still not present.

It matters hugely on long episode TV shows and feature-length projects.

To explain further what this option can do: It allows the marking of TWO separate locations on the timeline – so that I can copy clips from the start of an edit, say 5 minutes in, and then use MARK IN to 'remember' this 00:05:00:00 position, before using ONLY the playhead to paste the clips much later in the edit – say at 01:45:00:00. Next I can simply click GO TO IN to return instantly to my previous 'remembered' position at 00:05:00:00.

Avid has had this facility since the mid 1990's. FCP had it. FCPX has it. And Premier has it.

In long projects, we jump around the timeline like the all the time, thousands of times, and this instant jump back and forth option using the PLAYHEAD to paste is what allows it to happen.

MARK IN and MARK OUT should be used for edit actions, while COPY and PASTE are a different instruction, and so allowing these two tools to work in tandem allows a far more rapid & intuitive navigation up and down the timeline, where you want to regularly go from position A to position B and then directly back to position A.

Using markers to do the same job takes far too long – when you're doing it thousands of times over say 6 months. As does typing in the 05:00:00 timecode to jump back to the first position.

I'm now 3 months into a 9 month feature length edit and, for all that I love & adore about DaVinci, the lack of this basic feature, or the understanding as to why it might be needed, is really starting to exhaust me.

Please, please, please can the DaVinci Gods please consider including a simple checkbox in the settings - 'Paste at Playhead' meaning DON'T paste at the MARK IN point, and leave this point alone so that it can instantly be navigated back to, directly after pasting at playhead.

Thanks for listening.

PT

Andy Mees

Re: Paste at Playhead - Again

PostSun Feb 05, 2023 11:39 am

Theres a separate sub-forum for Feature Requests, Paul
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

Return to DaVinci Resolve