Rearrange clips in timeline feature?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Tony Hulten

Rearrange clips in timeline feature?

PostThu Aug 13, 2015 4:45 pm

Hi, is there a existing way to rearrange clips in timeline (push clip) like in premiere?
like this:

Im almost assuming there is but if not it is really something that needs to be added asap..

keith.uk

Re: Rearrange clips in timeline feature?

PostThu Aug 13, 2015 9:31 pm

control-shift-drag?

Tony Hulten

PostThu Aug 13, 2015 11:46 pm

Thnx!
shift+cmd+drag for mac if anyone else is wondering

Wouter Verwijlen

PostThu Aug 13, 2015 11:50 pm

Yep, Ctrl+Shift+Drag it is. Only works on one clip at a time though, can't move multiple clips at once this way.

RokasTT

PostSun Dec 18, 2022 10:30 am

Is there a way to rearrange multiple clips according to metadata? I have a bunch of clean trimmed clips from 6 cameras in a timeline and would like to sort them chronologically according to media creation time (timecode generator was not used while recording). I now you can rearrange clips before they are put to timeline, but can you do it afterwards?

jjsereday

PostSun Feb 05, 2023 4:38 pm

RokasTT wrote:Is there a way to rearrange multiple clips according to metadata? I have a bunch of clean trimmed clips from 6 cameras in a timeline and would like to sort them chronologically according to media creation time (timecode generator was not used while recording). I now you can rearrange clips before they are put to timeline, but can you do it afterwards?

Did you figure out a solution to this? I would love to automatically rearrange clips based on certain parameters

Steve Alexander

PostSun Feb 05, 2023 5:04 pm

From what I recall, the sort order in the media pool is used to arrange the clips in the timeline. So you should be able to sort in whatever order you wish and then select the clips and drag them to the timeline and they will appear in that order. I haven't tried this for a while so perhaps it is broken or I'm misremembering, lol.

Add - just tested it - sort order maintained when you drag to timeline. No way I know of to rearrange by metadata once they are on the timeline, though.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 | Fusion Studio 18.6.6 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

jjsereday

PostSun Apr 23, 2023 8:47 pm

Sure sorting in the media pool will work when add to a timeline but is there any way or re-sort or re-arrange clips within a timeline after edits have been made?

Jim Simon

PostSun Apr 23, 2023 9:23 pm

jjsereday wrote:is there any way or re-sort or re-arrange clips within a timeline after edits have been made?
Automatically? No.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Return to DaVinci Resolve