Effects/DRFX disappearing

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

DanielBoist

Effects/DRFX disappearing

PostTue Jan 31, 2023 8:51 am

Hi there!

I have a strange problem with some Effects/Transitions/DRFX disappearing in DVR...

I was already in contact with mVFX-Support as, at first, i thought it only concerns their plugins.
I´ve installed some mVFX-effects (mMATRIX, mTransition Luma etc.) via their mInstaller.
The effects show up and work as expected after installation.
But after quitting and restarting DVR they are gone - not to see anymore in the Effects-Pane.

I re-installed the plugins several times but still the same issue: After re-install they are available and working, but after re-starting DVR they are gone.
I found that NOT ONLY mVFX-Tools are involved, but also most of the other DRFX (i have some messiah, StirlingSupply etc.).

Strange thing is, when i open preferences in DVR and enable or disable ANY Plugin there, ALL Plugins are immediately showing up and are ready to use...
Here is a short screen-recording showing the issue: https://f.io/tJT9g9cc

I also tried the same on an other machine in our studio and here is the same issue...

Both machines are Mac Studio (M1 Ultra, 64 or 128 GB RAM) with OS12.4 , DVR 18.1.2

Any ideas?

Btw. OFX such as BorisFX BCC or Sapphire work as expected. We also have no issues with 3rd-Party
Audio-PlugIns.
Daniel Boist
dbSONIC Media
Germany

4 Installations of DR Studio / Fusion Studio
2 x MacStudio Ultra , 128 GB
2 x MacBook Pro, M1 Max, 32 GB

DanielBoist

Re: Effects/DRFX disappearing

PostWed Feb 01, 2023 7:00 am

No one had a similar issue ?
Daniel Boist
dbSONIC Media
Germany

Andy Mees

PostWed Feb 01, 2023 9:54 am

Not seen that behaviour on my systems, thankfully.
Seems like some kind of corruption building the effects list cache at launch ... changing the OFX list causes the corrupt list to be rebuilt so it displays correctly thereafter, but when you restart it's building the corrupted list all over again.
Might be worth posting logs so the devs can see if there are any specific clues in there. Could be a corrupt config file or something.
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

DanielBoist

PostThu Feb 02, 2023 10:48 am

Hi,

strange is, that this is happening on 2 different computers...
so i guess it must be a general bug in DVR or a combination of mac os and DVR.
Daniel Boist
dbSONIC Media
Germany

DanielBoist

PostMon Feb 06, 2023 1:35 pm

Update:

We installed 18.1.3 today, but nothing has changed.
DRFX still disappear...

Any idea? Helloooooo Devs??
Daniel Boist
dbSONIC Media
Germany

DanielBoist

PostThu Feb 09, 2023 4:00 pm

....up.... maybe someone has an idea or someone from BMD can chime in?
Daniel Boist
dbSONIC Media
Germany

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostThu Feb 09, 2023 6:45 pm

did you install them as "Super User/Administrator"?

(just left field ball here...)
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

freedomfilms

PostWed Apr 12, 2023 12:13 pm

DanielBoist wrote:Hi there!

I have a strange problem with some Effects/Transitions/DRFX disappearing in DVR...

I was already in contact with mVFX-Support as, at first, i thought it only concerns their plugins.
I´ve installed some mVFX-effects (mMATRIX, mTransition Luma etc.) via their mInstaller.
But after quitting and restarting DVR they are gone - not to see anymore in the Effects-Pane.

I re-installed the plugins several times but still the same issue: After re-install they are available and working, but after re-starting DVR they are gone.
I found that NOT ONLY mVFX-Tools are involved, but also most of the other DRFX (i have some messiah, StirlingSupply etc.).

Strange thing is, when i open preferences in DVR and enable or disable ANY Plugin there, ALL Plugins are immediately showing up and are ready to use...
Here is a short screen-recording showing the issue: https://f.io/tJT9g9cc

I also tried the same on an other machine in our studio and here is the same issue...

Both machines are Mac Studio (M1 Ultra, 64 or 128 GB RAM) with OS12.4 , DVR 18.1.2

Any ideas?

Btw. OFX such as BorisFX BCC or Sapphire work as expected. We also have no issues with 3rd-Party
Audio-PlugIns.
Hello, the same thing happens to me, any method to repair it.

freedomfilms

Re: Effects disappearing

PostThu Apr 13, 2023 5:03 pm

Hi there!

dvsdoug

PostFri Jul 21, 2023 11:14 am

I also have the same disappearing plugins problem. My work around is to reinstall a DRXF file and automagically the hidden plugins show up. I hope a solution is found soon...

Hans V

PostMon Dec 11, 2023 9:36 pm

We have exactly the same problem, is there a solution yet from BMD?

When we repair one effect in mInstaller the other installed effects reappear as well in the Resolve Effects Toolbox, just as other posters in this thread experienced as well.

We're on the latest version 18.6.4 and this annoying problem is still there.

waltervolpatto wrote:did you install them as "Super User/Administrator"?

(just left field ball here...)

Yes, I am Administrator on this Mac.
DaVinci Resolve 18.6.4

Andrew Hazelden

PostMon Dec 11, 2023 10:12 pm

Hi. To help narrow things down for troubleshooting, are the users who experience this issue running their Resolve system with a non–English US language?

Do you have any accented characters or multi-byte Unicode characters in your user account home folder name?
Mac Studio M2 Ultra / Threadripper 3990X | Fusion Studio 18.6.4 | Kartaverse 6

Hans V

PostTue Dec 12, 2023 10:01 am

Thanks Andrew for your input! We have English as main Mac OS language. Dutch installed as second language, but not active in the Mac OS X user interface.

No special characters in home folder naming (just lower-case letters and no spaces).

What puzzles me is that as soon as we repair a single MotionVFX plugin in mInstaller ALL 3rd party transitions/titles/generators reappear! So something is triggered by repairing or re-installing.

Our OpenFX (Boris Continuum, Neat Video, Filmconvert/Cinematch, Gyroflow) stuff does never disappear by the way. Nor does the (free) mCamRig plugin from MotionVFX, whereas all the other plugins from MotionVFX are part of the now-you-see-me, now-you-don't mystery...

EDIT: Hitting 'Save' after visiting the Preferences|Video Plugins window appears also to be sufficient for bringing back the visibility of all the plugins.
DaVinci Resolve 18.6.4

Hans V

PostWed Dec 13, 2023 1:48 pm

UPDATE: I have contacted MotionVFX about this problem (although it does not seem to be a bug that's only happening with their plugins/templates, other .drfx plugins are affected as well).

MotionVFX support can not replicate the problem on their systems and I followed an extensive course of action (including re-installing Resolve Studio and the MotionVFX plugins from scratch) but we were not able to solve the odd behavior in the Resolve Toolbox browser. We are puzzled and so they are.

Only some MotionVFX customers face these problems and they think it's a bug in Resolve. MotionVFX contacted Blackmagic Design earlier about this problem and they will bring it again to their attention, in the hope it will be fixed in a future update. Fingers crossed.
DaVinci Resolve 18.6.4

creal7

PostSat Dec 30, 2023 9:43 pm

I'm experiencing the exact same issue. This issue is definitely not limited to motion VFX plug-ins only. Therefore, this is a davinci problem.
On my system, quitting the app and restarting it usually solves the problem.
Sometimes if the problem persists I resort to deleting the config.dat file from the user preferences.
Furthermore, this is a Mac only issue. Μy windows 10 system functions correctly.

Hans V

PostWed Jan 03, 2024 4:15 pm

Yes, it's not a MotionVFX problem but definitely Resolve.

I've contacted MotionVFX and they would again bring it to the attention of the Resolve team, as more of their customers have this problem and they contacted Blackmagic Design in the past about it.

Visiting the Video Plugins window in Resolve Preferences solves it for me every time, a restart does not solve it on our system.

What happens on your Mac when you visit Preferences | Video Plugins when the plugins have disappeared? As a workaround it is quicker than a restart.
DaVinci Resolve 18.6.4

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jan 08, 2024 8:09 am

Hi Hans

A request the next time you run into this issue. After exiting Resolve Preferences for the workaround, could you invoke Help menu > Create Diagnostic Log on Desktop and share the file with us?

A list/screenshot of the Fusion templates folder contents would be useful too.

Thanks
Shrinivas

Hans V

PostMon Jan 08, 2024 11:21 am

Shrinivas Ramani wrote:Hi Hans

A request the next time you run into this issue. After exiting Resolve Preferences for the workaround, could you invoke Help menu > Create Diagnostic Log on Desktop and share the file with us?

A list/screenshot of the Fusion templates folder contents would be useful too.

Thanks
Shrinivas

Hi Shrinivas,

Thanks for your help. The Diagnostic Log is attached to this reply.

A screenshot of the Fusion | Templates folder will be in the next post (I don't know how to include two files with one reply on this forum).

Curious about the cause of this disappearing effects behavior.

Hans
Attachments
DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20240108-105850.zip
(870.78 KiB) Downloaded 80 times
DaVinci Resolve 18.6.4

Hans V

PostMon Jan 08, 2024 11:24 am

Hi Shrinivas,

Here is the screen grab of our Fusion | Templates folder.

Hans
Attachments
2024-01-08_10-57-21.png
2024-01-08_10-57-21.png (556.37 KiB) Viewed 1208 times
DaVinci Resolve 18.6.4

creal7

PostTue Jan 16, 2024 7:23 am

Hans V wrote:Yes, it's not a MotionVFX problem but definitely Resolve.

I've contacted MotionVFX and they would again bring it to the attention of the Resolve team, as more of their customers have this problem and they contacted Blackmagic Design in the past about it.

Visiting the Video Plugins window in Resolve Preferences solves it for me every time, a restart does not solve it on our system.

What happens on your Mac when you visit Preferences | Video Plugins when the plugins have disappeared? As a workaround it is quicker than a restart.

I tried visiting, preferences as you suggested, and the plug-ins did reappear. Definitely much easier than restarting the application. Thanks!

Hans V

PostTue Jan 16, 2024 9:40 pm

Glad my workaround also works for you.

I hope Blackmagic Design will get back to us with a more structural fix for what seems to be a bug on some systems.
DaVinci Resolve 18.6.4

Hans V

PostWed Feb 07, 2024 1:16 pm

@Shrinivas, did you find a solution for this problem?
DaVinci Resolve 18.6.4

Hans V

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 7:02 am

My plugins are no longer disappearing in Resolve 19 Beta 1, no workaround needed anymore to get them to (re)appear in the toolbox window.

So it seems like BMD eliminated this bug.
DaVinci Resolve 18.6.4

Return to DaVinci Resolve