Issue importing EDL timeline markers

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

vincentlepes

Issue importing EDL timeline markers

PostWed Feb 08, 2023 4:20 am

I am exporting all of the timeline markers from one timeline to an EDL file, and then importing them into another timeline. I see them appearing properly imported in the edit index area, when I choose markers, but they do not appear on the timeline. Is there something I am doing wrong?

I really want to copy my timeline markers over because it is interview footage and the questions are inside the markers. I am creating new timelines from the source interviews and I cannot figure out how to bring the markers in with the clips.

Here is a relevant screenshot: https://imgur.com/a/SiSrEME - "Interview - Andrew" is the timeline I exported markers from to EDL, and the active timeline "Behind the Donut..." is the destination timeline. You can see the markers came in but are not visible in the timeline and I cannot click in the index to jump to the locations.

Resolve 18.1.1, MacOS 12.1.3

tyesamson

Re: Issue importing EDL timeline markers

PostWed Feb 08, 2023 6:04 am

The hour code doesn't match. Your source sequence is 00 and your destination sequence is 01, so it's putting the markers at a timecode that is before when your destination sequence begins. But even then, if I am correctly understanding what it is you want to do, I don't think this is going to do what you think it's going to, because the markers are relative to the sequence record timecode, not the source clip timecodes?

vincentlepes

PostFri Feb 10, 2023 10:47 pm

Thank you, Tye.

It sounds like I need to learn more about timecode, I have no idea why any of my timelines would differ since I never manually changed any timecode. I would assume the project settings or some other default would keep them consistent. I will read up and see if there is more I need to understand here.

What I was attempting to do was to follow this advice from another thread - https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=95889&p=906373&hilit=copy+markers#p906373 - but it doesn't work for me. I am also not sure how I would offset any of the incoming markers, as I am pulling in markers from three timelines I was hoping to edit into topical string-outs.

It's also possible that I am experiencing the bug being discussed in this thread: https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=175784&p=922891&hilit=copy+markers#p922891

If you or anyone knows a better way to carry over markers to new seequences, please point me in the right direction. The whole point of the markers for me was to be able to jump between interview questions, but if they are secluded in the original timeline with no way to move them with the clips, it isn't helpful at all for creating topical sequences.

vincentlepes

PostFri Feb 10, 2023 11:12 pm

The hour code doesn't match. Your source sequence is 00 and your destination sequence is 01, so it's putting the markers at a timecode that is before when your destination sequence begins.

This fixed it.

I changed the destination timeline's starting timecode to 00:00:00:00, repeated the export/import process and it worked as expected this time. I was able to import the markers and then move them to where the imported clips aligned like I needed to.

Thanks again for catching the mismatch! I wasn't even looking there for answers. Appreciate your help. This is going to help me with another upcoming project and save me so much time.

tyesamson

PostFri Feb 10, 2023 11:23 pm

:)

I don't know how familiar you are with EDLs in general, but they're just plain text files in a particular strict format, meaning that you could also just open the EDL in a text editor and do a find and replace for "01:" ->"00:" but of course, you would have to be careful to only replace instances of "01:" in the hour fields and not in the minutes, seconds, or frames fields! Even if you don't feel comfortable editing an EDL in a text editor, it's probably a good idea to dig around in one just to get an idea of how it's working.

The default starting TC of new sequences can be set under Prefs->User->Editing->New Timeline Settings

Return to DaVinci Resolve