Ver 17. How to use a timeline in another project.

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Terryvideo

Ver 17. How to use a timeline in another project.

PostSun Mar 19, 2023 4:21 pm

Hi,
This should be very straightforward but I just can't find out how to do it!!
I have produced a short logo project making a very short timeline. I just want to copy/save this so that I can use it on other timelines.
I can export the logo timeline and then import it to a main project but it then seems to overwrite the main project when I just want it as an editable clip in a bin so that I can add to the main timeline.
Any advice much appreciated!
Thanks,

Terry

Andy Mees

Re: Ver 17. How to use a timeline in another project.

PostSun Mar 19, 2023 4:28 pm

Why not export as media via the delivery page ... or render in place, again creating a separate media file? You can then save the file in an an appropriate location and import it into future projects as needed, directly or via a Power Bin.

Terryvideo

PostMon Mar 20, 2023 11:40 am

Hi Andy,
Thanks for taking the trouble to reply.
I had thought of that but really wanted to be able to import the item in a timelie form so that I could make edits to it if I needed.
Thanks,
Terry

Andy Mees

PostMon Mar 20, 2023 11:45 am

Hey Terry
In that case I would highlight the target timeline in the Media Pool, then choose File > Export Timeline and then save in the Davinci Resolve Timeline File format (*.drt). You should be able to import that timeline into any future project.
Cheers
Andy

Terryvideo

PostMon Mar 20, 2023 7:26 pm

Dear Andy,
Thanks again.
The problem I have is that I can export the logo timeline as you suggest. OK
I open the 'main' project (fine) and then import the logo .drt file It then becomes the only item on the timeline and I can't get the main timeline back.
I'm sure you appreciate I need to retain the original timeline and just be able to add the new (editable) logo clip where I want it.
What am I missing?
Terry

John Paines

PostMon Mar 20, 2023 7:45 pm

You do know that you can create an unlimited number of timelines per project -- and with the open ones displayed in tabs across the top, if desired? And you can close and open timelines at will?

In your case, you could just create a master project with nothing but the logo timeline in it. Then save it under a new name for each successive project.

Or simply copy the timeline icon from the media page of one project and paste it into another as needed.

Andy Mees

PostMon Mar 20, 2023 7:47 pm

Hey Terry
Importing a DRT file adds that timeline to the project and opens it in the Timeline panel, it doesn't remove any existing timeline. Simply double click the original/target timeline (in the Media Pool panel) to (re)open it in the Timeline panel. As John hints at, you might also consider enabling (Timeline View Options) "Stacked Timelines" to keep multiple timelines open in tabs, side by side.

BMD has some great free training resources available... its really worthwhile.
Check out the Beginners Guide here.

Cheers
Andy

Terryvideo

PostWed Mar 22, 2023 7:17 pm

Hi,
Thanks Andy & John. I think i've got it now. I hadn't realised that I could use a timeline as a clip (ie to place it on another timeline).
Thanks,
Terry

Return to DaVinci Resolve