Resolve quit unexpectedly

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Jannickeda

Resolve quit unexpectedly

PostWed Mar 15, 2023 10:21 am

Hello,
I am new to Resolve and this forum, I hope this is the right place to post this issue. ;)

I have used Resolve for a while without any problems. Today, when I opened the program, I get a Problem Report saying that DaVinci Resolve quit unexpectedly. Resolve will not open.

Resolve 18.1.4 (from BMD website)
MacBook Pro

Can you please help me?
Resolve log file is not small enough to attach here...can I upload it somewhere else if needed?

Thank you!

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: Resolve quit unexpectedly

PostWed Mar 15, 2023 5:57 pm

If you have a Resolve log file, post it on a file sharing site, then provide a link to the file here.

If you are a new forum user, it may not allow you to post a URL. If that happens, just put a space near the front of the URL, so the forum doesn't think it's a URL.

Also make sure the link does not require access credentials.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Jannickeda

PostWed Mar 15, 2023 6:13 pm

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BXqCSF ... share_link

I hope this is ok. After this log, I have uninstalled and installed DR18 once more.

I try to add drop-box-url as well. For some reason, this link is not accepted. If the google drive-link does not work, please let me know...

Jannickeda

PostSat Mar 18, 2023 6:18 pm

Any update on this issue?
Thank you…

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Mar 20, 2023 6:13 pm

It appears there is a database issue.

Please send this file:

/Users/okvekst/Library/Preferences/Blackmagic Design/DaVinci Resolve/dblist.conf

/Users/okvekst/Library is a hidden folder. You'll need to press the <CMD> and the <SHIFT> and the <.> (period) keys simultaneously to see hidden files and folders.
Dwaine Maggart

Jannickeda

PostMon Mar 20, 2023 6:25 pm

Thank you so much for looking into this.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jp6zE_ ... share_link

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Mar 20, 2023 6:55 pm

It appears that your okvekst Local Project Library may have an issue.

In Finder, rename the /Users/okvekst/Library/Preferences/Blackmagic Design/DaVinci Resolve/dblist.conf file to dblist.conf.bak

Then open Resolve. Resolve will create a new dblist.conf file, and only be looking at your default Local Database project library.

If that works, that would confirm that there is an issue with the okvekst project library.

Are there projects in that project library that you need?
Dwaine Maggart

Jannickeda

PostMon Mar 20, 2023 7:03 pm

Ok, can I try this even if I need the projects in that library?
I have to admit, I don't really know what projects I might lose ;)

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Mar 20, 2023 7:06 pm

Try this, and if this works, and there are projects in the other project library you need, there are ways we can get those.

This brings up generic backup advice: It's a very good idea for important projects that last more than a day, that you make a Project Export .drp of the project at the end of each work day, and keep copies of those drps off the main system drive. Then if anything happens to the system drive, or the project library, or the specific project, you have backups you can Import.
Dwaine Maggart

Jannickeda

PostMon Mar 20, 2023 7:16 pm

Ok, Resolve opened, and it looks like this (see attached screen dump). Is the question referring to the changes I made now, or should I upgrade?

And thank you. Yes, I have learned my lesson the hard way and will always make a project export from now on...
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-03-20 at 20.11.39.png
Screenshot 2023-03-20 at 20.11.39.png (148.13 KiB) Viewed 905 times

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Mar 20, 2023 7:38 pm

Yes, in this case, go ahead an update the project library.

After it's updated, assuming you can open a new project in it, the go to the Project Manager page, right click on Local Database, and select "Reveal in Finder".

Then open the Resolve Disk Database folder, then the Resolve Projects folder, then the Users folder, then the guest folder, then the Projects folder.

In the Projects folder will be a folder for each project. And in those folders will be a Project.db file.

Now open a new Finder window and navigate to the /Users/okvekst/Documents/Resolve Disk Database/Resolve Projects/Users/guest/Projects folder. In this folder will be the projects from your okvekst project library.

You can copy project folders out of this folder, into the Local Database Projects folder we opened above. Then those projects will also be in the Local Database project library. BUT! You don't want to copy over the project folder of the last project you were working on when this problem arose. Else that might stop Resolve from launching again.
Dwaine Maggart

Jannickeda

PostMon Mar 20, 2023 8:12 pm

It worked :D Most of my previous projects are now back.Thank you!
One last (?) issue, though:
How can Resolve link back to the correct files? When I try and locate the files in this project (Reveal in finder), it finds the correct path, but the files are not showing in Media Pool.
For this project, the media files are in iCloud Drive. I understand now that maybe this is a bad idea....
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-03-20 at 21.02.11.png
Screenshot 2023-03-20 at 21.02.11.png (324.19 KiB) Viewed 889 times

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Mar 20, 2023 8:18 pm

Not sure what's going on with the files.

If you look at the same location on the Media page in the Media Storage area, do the files appear in the Viewer?
Dwaine Maggart

Jannickeda

PostMon Mar 20, 2023 8:51 pm

No, I have to add them again. That is of course no problem, but I don't understand why it happens.
I used to have two databases, one of them was located in iCloud Drive, can I copy this one as well?
All the older projects located in a "Local Database" do not have the same issue.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Mar 20, 2023 9:31 pm

The only 3 databases in the dblist.conf file you sent were the Local Database, the testjannicke database and the okvekst database.

All 3 of those appear to be stored on the local system drive.

The testjannicke db is located here: /Users/okvekst/Resolve Disk Database, and I'm assuming that's on the local drive.

If you wanted to access that database again, in the Project Manager page, with the Local Project Libraries icon selected, click the Add Project Library button at the bottom, and select Connect, then enter the name and location. testjannicke would be the name. /Users/okvekst would be the location.
Dwaine Maggart

Jannickeda

PostMon Mar 20, 2023 9:37 pm

Thank you for all your help, now I'm happy again :-D
(And I will be better at understanding the basic principles before my next project)

Return to DaVinci Resolve