Slow playback, tried most stuff...

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

jmbillings

Slow playback, tried most stuff...

PostWed Mar 22, 2023 4:33 pm

So, this might just be a problem with my machine as it's been "funny" for a few weeks... I was having trouble with the CPU pinning itself to 0.4Ghz and everything running slowly, although downgrading my NVidia drivers seems to have helped(?)

It's a laptop with NVidia 3070 (8Gb), AMD Ryzen 5900hx, 32GB Ram.

The past few days my playback in Resolve on the edit/color pages is really slow and jerky- it'll be smooth for 2 or 3 seconds then either go into slow motion or stutter before "catching up". No fancy effects asides from a LUT applied, single video track + separate audio track for music... Even playing back a static jpg dropped into my footage is the same.

I've generated quarter size proxies and no difference (it used to play back the original 4k footage without issue though)

When playing back, the CPU is < 20% used, the GPU up and down around 30%, temps low, disk at 0%, RAM in use 12Gb... so nothing seems to be "limited". It's not even warming up for the fans to kick in.

Like I say, it might indicate a problem with the machine itself, but any other ideas of things to try appreciated (if anyone can also list what version of the NVidia driver they are currently using it would be handy)

Return to DaVinci Resolve