Nested Timelines: Edits not showing up?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

phoeniX

Nested Timelines: Edits not showing up?

PostTue Mar 21, 2023 2:02 pm

Hello everyone,

I am fairly new to Resolve and just encountered a puzzling behavior - hoping anyone might be able to shed some light on whether this is intended behavior/user error or a bug...

I am working on video from a concert and have one timeline ("Cut") where I performed a basic multicam edit of three angles. I then created a separate timeline ("Compilation") to put together a short compilation/highlight reel with a few nested clips of the "Cut" timeline.

My expectation was that if I make an edit in the "Cut" timeline (i.e. changing an angle or retiming a cut), this change would be reflected in nested clips on the "Compilation" timeline. However, that seems to not be the case. I have tried restarting Resolve as well as doing an export, because I suspected there was some caching issue, but to no avail.

A solution/workaround I have already found is to decompose in place and perform the fine-tuning on the "Compilation" timeline, which is totally fine in this case, but still not what I imagine my ideal workflow to be like.

Do any of you know anything about this sort of behavior?
I can tell from a quick search that nested timelines are far from unproblematic (mostly in terms of audio issues), but I haven't found anything on this particular problem.

I am using Resolve 18.1.4 on a Mac Mini M1 running MacOS Ventura 13.2.1

Jim Simon

Re: Nested Timelines: Edits not showing up?

PostWed Mar 22, 2023 8:26 pm

I would expect it to work.

But given the potential problems with nesting, for now I would advice a simple Copy/Paste into the Compilation instead.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Joe Shapiro

Re: Nested Timelines: Edits not showing up?

PostThu Mar 23, 2023 1:19 am

Unfortunately Nested Timelines are not reliable in Resolve.
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.6
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

Return to DaVinci Resolve