Color grading and blending 3d object to match the background

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

VVigor

Color grading and blending 3d object to match the background

PostFri Mar 24, 2023 11:59 am

Hi there. I'm the beginner in Davinci, trying to fit a 3D .fbx house neighbour into my drone footage.
I would like to make it more eye-friendly in term of color-grading and blending it into Davinci.
As I'm the beginner, I've been watching a lot of youtube tutorials, but none of them really focuses on blending the object into the scene, for sure not that complicated one.
It looks like this:
I enabled the lights and shadows and added just a ambient light to it and a spotlight as well.
So I have a drone footage of a field and imported the 3d tracked .fbx model. It looks like... cartoon, for sure it doesn't look professional. I don't want it to be perfectly rendered, like to look like real, but I still want it to look more blended, more light focused and colors focused. I have 2 questions about it:
1. How can I color grade the drone footage separately from the 3d model. When I go to colors tab, it's coloring both. When i try to apply color corrector in fusion tab, wheneven I put it, it's marked in red and doesn't work.
2. What effects should I use to make it look more natural and what should the placement be inside the project?
If you have any advice more that that, I'd be glad to hear them.

VVigor

Re: Color grading and blending 3d object to match the backgr

PostFri Mar 24, 2023 2:45 pm

Oh, sorry, the image didn't upload well, here is the right one:
https://ibb.co/Cbg0jN3

Hink Drambla

Re: Color grading and blending 3d object to match the backgr

PostFri Mar 24, 2023 3:24 pm

I can't help you make the modeled objects look more real, but you may be able to apply color grades to the drone footage like this:

Right-click the fusion comp in the Edit Page timeline or Media Pool and select "Open in Timeline".

In the timeline that opens, select the drone footage and go to the Color tab.

See p. 774 of reference manual.
DR 18.6.4 on Windows 11 Pro • Ryzen 7 5700G 3.8 GHz • ASUS TUF B550M • 32GB (2 × 16GB) DDR4 3200 • WD Blue M.2 2TB PCIe 3.0x4

Return to DaVinci Resolve