Da Vinci not detecting GPU - Unsupported GPU processing mode

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

NopMake

Da Vinci not detecting GPU - Unsupported GPU processing mode

PostFri Mar 17, 2023 3:21 pm

I have been using Da Vinci Resolve for about two years with an AMD RX 580 card, and it worked just fine. Now I transplanted the same card into a different machine, and I keep getting the error message "Unsupported GPU processing mode" on startup.

Both machines are running Win10. I tried it both with the latest AMD drivers 23.3.1 Adrenaline and an older pro 21.q4, which some people reported to work with Da Vinci. (each after cleaning the system with a DDU)
For Da Vinci, I tried the latest v18 download and also v17.4.6.

When I check the GPU capabilities with GPU_Caps_Viewer, it confirms that OpenCL 2 is supported, and I can even run some OpenCL Demos and see that they are working. So it seems that the driver is running properly.

Still, Da Vinci can't detect the openCL support.

Any ideas on how to make Da Vinci find the GPU?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: Da Vinci not detecting GPU - Unsupported GPU processing

PostFri Mar 17, 2023 5:12 pm

With Resolve 18.1.4 installed, in a File Explorer window, go to:

C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve

and run CaptureLogs

This will place a Resolve log file named similar to this on your Windows desktop: DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20181228_140434.zip (You may not see the .zip extension if your system is set to hide known extensions).

Then open Windows System Information and do a File - Save (Not a File Export), which will generate a .NFO file.

Place both those files on a file sharing site and provide links to the files here. Make sure the links don't require access credentials.

If you are a new Forum user, you may not be allowed to post URLs. If this happens, just put a space near the front of the URL, so the system doesn't think it's a URL. Make sure the links don't require access credentials.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

NopMake

PostSun Mar 19, 2023 9:08 am

Thank you for your quick response. I reinstalled Resolve 18.1.4 and collected the requested data.

Please find it at zeug(dot)waldpfa(dot)de/download/resolve_debug.zip

I also included a screenshot of GPU-Caps to show that the drivers are installed properly and OpenCL is definitely supported.

I saw that the log files contain quite a history, so I thought I would elaborate a little. After first installing the RX 580 and its drivers, the installed version of Resolve actually did detect the card, but it crashed as soon as you tried to play a clip in Resolve. On the net we found some hints from other users that it would work better with older drivers, so we reverted to a clean install of older AMD drivers (currently 22.20.27.07 from Nov 26 2021) and even Resolve 17, but that only brought us into the current "Unsupported GPU" problem.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Mar 20, 2023 9:23 pm

Indeed the current driver is not even allowing Resolve to see the RX580.

Based on the driver version in the NFO, it seems like you have the Professional 21.Q4 driver installed.

It appears the previous version you were using, where you say Resolve crashed when you played a clip, was the current Adrenalin 23.3.1 version. I've just updated my Win10 Pro machine with an RX580 GPU to that version, and it's working fine. I don't know why your system would not have been happy with that version, if you were trying Resolve 18.1.4 with it.

I do see LOTS of errors in the Windows Error Reporting log related to your TightVNC server. I don't know if that might be interfering with Resolve or not.

The AMD Adrenalin version I was previously using with 18.1.4 was 22.5.1. You might give that a try and see what it does. But it looks like the 23.3.1 driver should work, since it works for me.
Dwaine Maggart

NopMake

PostTue Mar 21, 2023 7:52 am

In the Resolve log, I see the following lines during startup, in the same place were the GPU was detected before:

Code: Select all
[0x00000a64] | GPUDetect            | INFO  | 2023-03-19 09:34:26,609 | Starting GPUDetect 1.2_3-a1
[0x00000a64] | GPUDetect            | WARN  | 2023-03-19 09:34:27,125 | Ignoring unmatched DirectX GPU "Radeon RX 580 Series".

This sounds a lot like the graphics card is being detected - as its name is given correctly - but deliberately ignored by Resolve. Do you know what circumstance might trigger this message?

You are right, I have been accessing that machine via VNC. I will try it directly to make sure.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Mar 22, 2023 5:34 pm

It would be an AMD driver issue causing that to happen.

If you want to try using the Pro driver, use the current 22.Q4 driver instead of the 21.Q4 driver you have installed, and see what it does.
Dwaine Maggart

NopMake

PostWed Mar 22, 2023 7:58 pm

I cleaned the graphics driver again with a DDU and installed the Adrenaline 23.3.1 drivers.

I unistalled Resolve, removed all remaning traces from the file system and ran a registry cleaner. Then I installed Resolve 18.1.4 again.

Now the behaviour has changed. The GPU is detected and Resolve starts allright. But as soon as I move a clip from the file browser into the media pool, there is a hard crash, rebooting the machine.

How would we go about debugging this kind of problem?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Mar 22, 2023 8:58 pm

Send an updated Resolve log and NFO file.
Dwaine Maggart

NopMake

PostFri Mar 24, 2023 3:52 pm

Here you are.

zeug(dot)waldpfa(dot)de/download/resolve_debug2.zip

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Mar 24, 2023 4:43 pm

I don't know. Resolve should not be able to cause the machine to reboot. And if that's happening, the Resolve logs won't help, because the system reboot prevents anything helpful from being recorded in the Resolve log.

The only Resolve log in the diagnostics log file was from March 22 at 20:51. And that log indicates that Resolve is happy with the GPU and doesn't seem to have any issues.

The hope would be that the NFO file Windows Error Reporting log would have some indication as to why Windows rebooted on March 22 at 20:51, if that's what happened.

But, the most current NFO log entry is from March 21. Which is from the TightVNC app.

Are you still doing this via VNC? If you run Resolve locally on the machine, does it behave any differently?
Dwaine Maggart

NopMake

PostSat Mar 25, 2023 7:08 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:But, the most current NFO log entry is from March 21. Which is from the TightVNC app.
Are you still doing this via VNC? If you run Resolve locally on the machine, does it behave any differently?

No. Following your advice, everything sicne the 22nd is strictly local, with VNC not running.

NopMake

PostSat Mar 25, 2023 8:12 am

I went back to the 21.Q4 Pro drivers now, as I found some hints on the net that those would work with resolve 18. GPU Caps confirms openCL, as always. Unfortunately now I am back to the original Unsupported GPU problem.

zeug(dot)waldpfa(dot)de/download/resolve_debug3.zip

I did a clean removal of the latest drivers with a DDU. I also uninstalled Resolve before messing the with graphics drivers and also removed all traces of it in the file system.

After uninstall, Resolve leaves quite a lot of files on the system, in User folders and AppData. I had observered that after removing all of this before installing Resolve again, the initial Setup wizard pops up again. It showed the green checkmark for a compatible GPU. So I had hoped that this would mean that the GPU detection had actually worked. But I was wrong. :(

PS: Everything local, no VNC

DanMann

PostFri May 19, 2023 9:35 am

This software is so ridiculously unstable and not ready for prime time. Just out of nowhere, poof, you're not working anymore. Never seen such performance from Premiere or FCP.

Charles Bennett

PostFri May 19, 2023 1:03 pm

It's the AMD drivers that are causing a lot of problems. No instability here with Nvidia. Post log and NFO files so someone like Dwaine from BMD can take a look.
Attachments
Log and NFO Information.JPG
Log and NFO Information.JPG (46.64 KiB) Viewed 3826 times
Resolve Studio 18.6.5 build 7
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (546.01 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

ap0ple

PostWed Oct 18, 2023 2:00 pm

I am experiencing a persistent problem with my AMD RX 580 graphics card. Initially, it was working optimally. I have kept my video drivers and Windows operating system constantly updated. However, at one point, I ran into a problem. When I tried to open a program, I received a message stating that my GPU was no longer supported; it was as if it had completely disappeared, as it was not recognized at all.

I have tried to troubleshoot this problem in a variety of ways. I have rolled back to previous versions of the drivers, but the result has been the same: the card is not detected. I have also tried reinstalling the software, in this case, DaVinci Resolve, but that didn't work either. The most frustrating thing is that I lost all my projects and a considerable amount of time due to this situation.

I am really discouraged by this situation, and what makes the situation worse is that I do not have the financial resources to replace my AMD card with an Nvidia at this time. I am sincerely saddened by this whole experience that I have been facing for the past two months without finding a solution.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Oct 19, 2023 5:35 pm

The RX580 is fine. Please send the following info:

In a File Explorer window, go to:

C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve

and run CaptureLogs

This will place a Resolve log file named similar to this on your Windows Desktop: DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20181228_140434.zip (You may not see the .zip extension if your system is set to hide known extensions).

Then open the Windows System Information app and do a File - Save (Not a File Export), which will generate a .NFO file.

Place both those files on a file sharing site and provide links to the files here. Make sure the links don't require access credentials.

If you are a new Forum user, you may not be allowed to post URLs. If this happens, just put a space near the front of the URL, so the system doesn't think it's a URL.
Dwaine Maggart

Return to DaVinci Resolve