Timeline clip edges disappear

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Hardy-

Timeline clip edges disappear

PostSun Mar 26, 2023 12:09 am

Hello forum,

when my Edit page has a timeline over 2 hours long, the vertical clip edges become unsharp. It gets worse towards the end of the timeline, and it depends on the timeline zoom. This just affects the clip rectangles; the red selection rectangle remains normal at any timeline position.

It seems to be a rounding error that varies with timeline position and zoom factor. Maybe the clip rectangles use a 32 bit floating point, while the selection rectangle uses a 64 bit -- or something like that.

Here are some screenshots. Timeline zoom was always at maximum.

At 1 hour, the clip edge is sharp:
edit1.png
edit1.png (10.28 KiB) Viewed 487 times

At 2 hours, the clip edge is blurred:
edit2.png
edit2.png (10.25 KiB) Viewed 487 times

At 7 hours, the clip edge disappears. The colored filling still has an edge, but the edge is at the wrong position (it should be at the red selection rectangle). I used 7 hours here as it shows the effect better. The effect already occurs at 3 hours, depending on the zoom factor:
edit3.png
edit3.png (10.59 KiB) Viewed 487 times

It makes the visual tools unreliable. Also, when clips have the same color, the cut cannot be seen at all.

This is on an iMac with Resolve 18. I think it occured in version 17 too.

Frame rate is 50 in all clips and in the timeline.

Hardy-

Re: Timeline clip edges disappear

PostMon Mar 27, 2023 11:17 pm

I forgot to add the question.

Is anyone else seeing this problem and is there a fix?

(Guess, most users work with timelines shorter than 2 hours and don't care.)

(The test is easy: Just set a "solid color" generator clip, stretch it over several hours, and make a cut near the end. Then play with the timeline zoom.)

Return to DaVinci Resolve