Is it possible to create a project through code?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

lionf96

Is it possible to create a project through code?

PostThu Mar 30, 2023 2:40 pm

I created a custom website where I write down notes on what I want to talk about and each scene has it's own entry. I would like to be able to tell the website to generate a Resolve project from, that has all the lower thirds(with text for each scene obtained from the site db), scene transitions/stingers, B-roll inserted, intro and ending animations.

Is this possible?

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Is it possible to create a project through code?

PostFri Mar 31, 2023 5:23 am

See the help menu, documentation, developer documentation, workflow integrations
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Marc Wielage

PostFri Mar 31, 2023 5:32 am

lionf96 wrote:I created a custom website where I write down notes on what I want to talk about and each scene has it's own entry. I would like to be able to tell the website to generate a Resolve project from, that has all the lower thirds(with text for each scene obtained from the site db), scene transitions/stingers, B-roll inserted, intro and ending animations.

Not being sarcastic: I think this is called "An Assistant Editor." I don't think AI could do this. It's multiple processes requiring different kinds of software and different actions... basically, it's "post workflow."

I would bet a voice-to-text utility could at least generate the text for the lower-thirds. It'd just be a question of bringing that into Resolve and then timing each graphic to pop-on/pop-off as required. But transitions, intros, animations... that's a lot of work, and it can't be generated as you describe. (That's unless I misread your message, and you just want to describe what you're doing and have those comments appear on the website.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Sven H

PostFri Mar 31, 2023 12:41 pm

In theory, yes it is possible. with the API you can create projects, timelines, import and append footage, etc.

But by the time you write this really custom code to create one project exactly the way you want it, you're already done, doing it by hand. probably even already finshed the render and upload ;)

lionf96

PostMon Apr 03, 2023 11:44 am

Marc Wielage wrote:
lionf96 wrote:I created a custom website where I write down notes on what I want to talk about and each scene has it's own entry. I would like to be able to tell the website to generate a Resolve project from, that has all the lower thirds(with text for each scene obtained from the site db), scene transitions/stingers, B-roll inserted, intro and ending animations.

Not being sarcastic: I think this is called "An Assistant Editor." I don't think AI could do this. It's multiple processes requiring different kinds of software and different actions... basically, it's "post workflow."

I would bet a voice-to-text utility could at least generate the text for the lower-thirds. It'd just be a question of bringing that into Resolve and then timing each graphic to pop-on/pop-off as required. But transitions, intros, animations... that's a lot of work, and it can't be generated as you describe. (That's unless I misread your message, and you just want to describe what you're doing and have those comments appear on the website.

I'm not asking to use AI. All I really want to know is if I can create a resolve project through code. I'm currently working on doing what I want, by generating a final cut XML file(which resolve can import), but I would really like to generate a .drp file instead. I'm not expecting a complete project because I know afterwards I'm going to need to fine tune the project.

lionf96

PostMon Apr 03, 2023 11:44 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:See the help menu, documentation, developer documentation, workflow integrations

Thanks! I'll check this out.

lionf96

PostMon Apr 03, 2023 11:47 am

Sven H wrote:In theory, yes it is possible. with the API you can create projects, timelines, import and append footage, etc.

But by the time you write this really custom code to create one project exactly the way you want it, you're already done, doing it by hand. probably even already finshed the render and upload ;)

It will be worth the time to create this custom code, because it's for a weekly show that has the same format every single epsiode. It will save me alot of time by having a skeleton project already created that I can fine tune.

Igor Riđanović

PostMon Apr 03, 2023 4:56 pm

It's possible to do that. You're actually talking about creating a project, importing media, and creating a timeline. It may help to think of them as three distinct things.

Creating a project and importing media through programmatic means is relatively simple. If you want to look at an off-the-shelf solution for that check out Meta Fide Projector which is a tool I wrote and it does exactly that. You can use it manually or integrate it into other tools where higher level of pipeline automation is required--like in your case.

Creating a timeline with titles, etc. is where the Resole API is lacking, but it can be done. It just depends on what you're trying to achieve.
www.metafide.com - DaVinci Resolve™ Apps

Jim Simon

PostMon Apr 03, 2023 6:13 pm

lionf96 wrote:It will save me a lot of time by having a skeleton project already created that I can fine tune.
You can do that now without needing code. Project Presets are one way. And an actual Project which gets a Save Project As for the first step is another.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostMon Apr 03, 2023 6:21 pm

It may be easier to use FCP XML depending on complexity.
What you’re trying to do in Resolve I tried to do with Premiere, but generating project ( which just just an xml) is rather crazy task. Using Resolve built-in automation sounds more realistic, but this itself has own limitations and you will hit it sooner or later ( just try simple timeline and you may already face limitations).

Problem with FCP XML is that depending on the source it may not import properly ( eg. Premiere has problem with audio tracks). Things like titles complicate timelines even further and this is not easy to automate.
If you want take in/outs from different sources with av fades, overlay basic titles etc. ffmpeg may be actually easier although it’s also annoying and can gets complex ( well at least cmd looks crazy complex) when you start adding all needed elements.

Return to DaVinci Resolve