Speed Editor Move does Split too

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

wfolta

PostWed Dec 16, 2020 3:06 pm

The Move on the Speed editor is a press-and-hold, not the double-click that the manual describes. Double-click does a Split and the Unsplit if you are over a selected clip. If you do a double-click and hold while not over a selected clip, it splits and then moves the tail, which I'm not sure if that's a feature or coincidence.

Also, for Move to actually be useful, you'll need to set the selection-follows-playhead option that I can't seem to find. Otherwise, you'll end up having to go to the mouse or main keyboard to select something to move.
Resolve Studio 17 latest, Fusion Studio 17 latest, macOS Big Sur latest, MacBook Pro 2020 64GB RAM and Radeon Pro 5600M 8GB VRAM

Phundit

PostWed Dec 16, 2020 3:28 pm

Press and hold move button while jog dial to move clip to position you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wfolta

Re: Speed Editor Move does Split too

PostWed Dec 16, 2020 3:39 pm

Phundit wrote:Press and hold move button while jog dial to move clip to position you want.

Thanks, that's perfect. I started with the manual's incorrect "double press", which does two different but incorrect things depending on whether the clip is already selected or not. And the variations I tried didn't work either... but I hadn't tried press-and-hold , which as you noted, selects the clip so you can move it.
Resolve Studio 17 latest, Fusion Studio 17 latest, macOS Big Sur latest, MacBook Pro 2020 64GB RAM and Radeon Pro 5600M 8GB VRAM

Daz Wood

PostSun Jan 03, 2021 4:56 pm

Thank you for this I have been trying to get the move to work and could not understand why it was cutting the clip first. I hope this get updated in the instruction manual.

Are there any other key that you have to press and hold instead of double clicking them?
Thank you

Daz
Davinci Resolve Studio Version
ASUS Strix GL702ZC 17" laptop. AMD Ryzen 7 1700 (Desktop CPU), 32GB DDR4, Storage 256GB M.2 SSD, 2TB SSD, 4GB RX 580, Win10

wfolta

PostSun Jan 03, 2021 7:47 pm

I haven't been able to focus on Cut lately so haven't yet found other mis-documentations.

But I think the general principle applies: commands on the front of the key might involve double-tap, press-and-hold, or double-tap-and-hold, so if it's working unexpectedly try the other variants.

In my particular typo discovery it was press-and-hold instead of double-tap-and-hold. (Who knows, it might have originally been double-tap-and-hold and someone pointed out that that's an extra keystroke where a simple press-and-hold would do.)

VioletWolf

PostSun Jan 03, 2021 8:55 pm

wfolta wrote:(Who knows, it might have originally been double-tap-and-hold and someone pointed out that that's an extra keystroke where a simple press-and-hold would do.)

That's my gut impression of the Speed Editor in general. (Great tool) but I suspect there was a last-minute rush (Xmas) to get it out the door while still tweaking. I suspect we'll see a firmware update and complete documentation once they've sorted all the user feedback.

So far very happy with it though!
Resolve 17.1.1 | Windows 10 x64 (Latest Updates) | AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
| 32GB RAM |MSI NVIDIA RTX 2070 8 Gig - Driver 457.51 | Refugee from Adobe Premiere / After Effects

Phundit

PostMon Jan 11, 2021 12:01 am

Daz Wood wrote:Thank you for this I have been trying to get the move to work and could not understand why it was cutting the clip first. I hope this get updated in the instruction manual.

Are there any other key that you have to press and hold instead of double clicking them?
Mark and adjust viewer (3 stripe) button also double click and hold while dial knob for change parameter

Singularity

PostMon Jan 11, 2021 5:04 am

Yeah there's a lot of extra functionality with various key combos. It does take a bit of effort to learn it all though. I'm still getting my head around it.

I do wish there was some alternative functionality for the number pad keys though, since I don't really use multicam, all those keys are wasted for me.

Edit: "selection-follows-playhead option" should be under the timeline menu I believe.
Resolve 18 Studio. Windows 11 Pro. Ryzen 2700x. GTX 3060. 32GB 3200mhz DDR4 RAM. ASUS Crosshair x370.

wfolta

PostMon Jan 11, 2021 3:11 pm

Phundit wrote:
Daz Wood wrote:Thank you for this I have been trying to get the move to work and could not understand why it was cutting the clip first. I hope this get updated in the instruction manual.

Mark and adjust viewer (3 stripe) button also double click and hold while dial knob for change parameter

I may be wrong, but I think ultimately they should mostly eliminate double-click-n-hold and stick with press-n-hold as much as possible. Double-click-n-hold should only be for a third function on the same key. It's more keystrokes and it just adds confusion if press-n-hold would work instead.

fastforward

PostThu Nov 25, 2021 8:56 pm

Is there a key on the big editor's keyboard the has the same functionality as the Move key on the speed editor? This is very useful and I can't seem to find a way to do it using the big (presumably more capable) keyboard.

Kerber

PostFri Mar 31, 2023 8:52 pm

To be clear from the OP, as the language wasn't clear to me.

Split = press the split/move key (press and release it).
Move = hold the split/move key (press it down and hold it down).
Split Undo = double press the split/move key (pres and release it twice, this essentially does nothing).
Split & Move = double press and hold the split/move key (press and release, then press and hold it down).

The last action will add a split, and then keep the right side of the clip selected to to be moved. On multiple tracks this will split all tracks and hold the clip you are last track you were working from.

Return to DaVinci Resolve