DaVinci Resolve manual on ChatGPT - Message to Black Magic

• Author

G.Crisci

DaVinci Resolve manual on ChatGPT - Message to Black Magic

PostSun Apr 02, 2023 8:19 am

Gentle Black Magic,

I love DaVinci Resolve, and would be so much amazing to have the 4000 page of the manual available as an AI chat bot like chatGPT4

Perhaps this website (https://www.chatpdf.com/) is trying to do what I'm saying, but the DaVinci Resolve manual seams too big for them at the moment
This is not a problem, OpenAI is offering to use the API to give access to chatGPT4 at third parties business

You can imagine how much would help to have the possibility to explain to an intelligent chat bot (chatGPT 4 is very capable of understand also human complex questions, personally verified more than a time) that have a Complete knowledge on DaVinci Resolve?

I know it's already possible to make research on the PDF, but this would make available to any user a real assistant!

it's incredibly powerful

please sincerely consider to do this
I think would be also relatively simple for a big and competent company as You

Thank You for you attention and time to give us this amazing NLE video editing software

My Best Regards
Gaetano Crisci

p.s. and in future probably will be also possible to add all the forum knowledge to the chat bot!
CPU: Intel i7 8 Core (2,50 GHz Turbo 4,90 GHz) | GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3070 (8 GB GDDR6) | RAM: 16 GB SDRAM DDR4 | SSD: 512 GB M.2 NVMe (Win10 - DVR) - 1024 GB M.2 NMVe (Media files - Proxy - Cache)
BlackMagic Speed Editor - DaVinci Resolve Studio

Mario69Rossi

Re: DaVinci Resolve manual on ChatGPT - Message to Black Mag

PostSun Apr 02, 2023 9:12 am

That's a good idea, perhaps in a non distance future all knowledge-bases will have an AI chat bot.
DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.5
MacBook Pro M1 (2020) | 16GB ram | 1TB SSD
macOS Sonoma 14.4

Jim Simon

PostSun Apr 02, 2023 3:22 pm

G.Crisci wrote:please sincerely consider to do this
There is a separate forum for Feature Requests.

viewforum.php?f=33

Best practice is to search first, to see if someone already asked. If not, post one idea per thread with a very brief description of the idea in the thread's title.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

John Paines

PostSun Apr 02, 2023 3:39 pm

You'll find that ChatGPT can already answer a variety of questions about how to do things in Davinci Resolve.

Just be warned that, as with all ChatGPT responses (and some from human contributors here), not all answers are accurate or pertinent. There's nothing it won't attempt to answer, whether it "knows" or not (also like some humans here).

G.Crisci

PostSun Apr 02, 2023 9:08 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
G.Crisci wrote:please sincerely consider to do this
There is a separate forum for Feature Requests.

viewforum.php?f=33

Best practice is to search first, to see if someone already asked. If not, post one idea per thread with a very brief description of the idea in the thread's title.

Thank You Jim I was not aware of this section, if the administrators didn't move this post in few days I will delete and open again in the proper section
CPU: Intel i7 8 Core (2,50 GHz Turbo 4,90 GHz) | GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3070 (8 GB GDDR6) | RAM: 16 GB SDRAM DDR4 | SSD: 512 GB M.2 NVMe (Win10 - DVR) - 1024 GB M.2 NMVe (Media files - Proxy - Cache)

G.Crisci

PostSun Apr 02, 2023 9:22 pm

John Paines wrote:You'll find that ChatGPT can already answer a variety of questions about how to do things in Davinci Resolve.

Just be warned that, as with all ChatGPT responses (and some from human contributors here), not all answers are accurate or pertinent. There's nothing it won't attempt to answer, whether it "knows" or not (also like some humans here).

John I'm asking questions to chatGPT 3.5 and 4 on DaVinci Resolve from 2 month, also if chatGPT 4 have a deeper understanding capacity only 60% of the time I obtain an help or a correct answer...

It's not a fault of chatGPT or OpenAI, but most probably chatGPT have not trained specifically on the complete DaVinci Resolve manual, probably the most of the knowledge of chatGPT comes from big portals like Wikipedia, Quora and similar, in this way can give many correct answer but can't go so deep and specific as could have had access to DaVinci Resolve Manual, you can stay assured that if this happen, chatGPT would have a complete knowledge on every function

perhaps chatGPT 4 recently amazed me replying at how to maintain a clip reversed in the edit tab when moving in Fusion suggesting to make a fusion clip

but another time, when asking how to restore a clip cut by mistake, have suggested many ideas and solutions but was clearly not aware of the shortcut Ctrl + \ (backspace)
and I have insisted multiple times asking for a real restore of the clip and not for turnaround solutions

John Paines

PostSun Apr 02, 2023 9:39 pm

I think you're way too optimistic. It's far from clear that ChatGPT has the "intelligence" to digest a 4000 manual and make sense of user's questions which don't repeat tag lines it can easily reference. For the engine to be useful, the operations of Resolve would actually have to be "understood".

Actual intelligent users have a similar difficulty: finding what they're looking for in the manual, but not knowing what word or phase to search for.

There's a word for the assistance needed -- it's called an index, which is way cheaper and simpler than ChatGPT.

XenonBL

PostSun Apr 02, 2023 10:19 pm

Just for fun I typed this into ChatGPT-4

Do you know enough about davinci resolve 18 to help me?

And this was the response:

While my knowledge is based on DaVinci Resolve up to version 17, I can still help you with many aspects of the software, as the core functionality and features are likely to be similar. DaVinci Resolve is a professional video editing software developed by Blackmagic Design, which includes advanced color correction, visual effects, motion graphics, and audio post-production tools.

Here are some common tasks you might perform in DaVinci Resolve:

Importing media: To get started, import your media files into the Media Pool. You can either use the File > Import Media menu or drag and drop files directly into the Media Pool.

Creating a timeline: To create a new timeline, right-click in the Media Pool and select "Create New Timeline." You can also do this in the Edit tab by clicking the "+" icon in the Timelines panel.

Editing clips: In the Edit tab, you can perform basic editing tasks like trimming, cutting, and moving clips in the timeline. You can also add transitions and effects from the Effects Library.

Color correction: The Color tab provides a wide range of color correction tools, such as color wheels, curves, and LUTs. You can make adjustments to the color balance, contrast, and saturation, or use secondary color correction tools to isolate specific parts of the image.

Fusion: The Fusion tab is where you can create and edit visual effects and motion graphics. Nodes are used to build complex effects, and you can also add 3D elements, particles, and text.

Fairlight: The Fairlight tab is dedicated to audio post-production. You can edit audio clips, add effects, and mix audio tracks using the built-in mixer and plugins.

Exporting: To export your project, go to the Deliver tab. Choose your desired export format, resolution, codec, and other settings. Then, add the project to the Render Queue and click "Start Render."

Please let me know if you have specific questions or need help with a particular feature in DaVinci Resolve, and I'll do my best to assist you.

I think it's quite likely that ChatGPT can already help answer many questions about Resolve. It's just that it "knows" nothing, and will give very convincing answers even if the answers are occasionally spectacularly wrong.
Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 16-Core, 128GB RAM, EVGA FTW Ultra RTX 3090 24 GB

iddos-l

PostMon Apr 03, 2023 3:53 am

I wish there was a way to feed the entire manual to the chat. As you may know, using the API can be quite costly. I'm not sure if this would be a viable investment for BMD, given the potential token consumption by millions of users worldwide.

While companies can sometimes negotiate custom pricing with API providers based on their specific needs and the expected volume of usage, the costs associated with using the API could still be significant. It's crucial for BMD to weigh the benefits of such an integration against the potential expenses.

Considering BMD's experience in developing machine learning models for tools like the Magic Mask, it's more likely they would invest in their own in-house ML model to integrate into the program. This approach would allow them to tailor the solution to their needs and potentially control costs more effectively.

In any case, the financial and strategic implications of integrating an external API like GPT-3 or GPT-4, or developing an in-house solution, should be carefully considered by BMD before moving forward.

G.Crisci

PostMon Apr 03, 2023 7:58 am

iddos-l wrote:I wish there was a way to feed the entire manual to the chat. As you may know, using the API can be quite costly. I'm not sure if this would be a viable investment for BMD, given the potential token consumption by millions of users worldwide.

While companies can sometimes negotiate custom pricing with API providers based on their specific needs and the expected volume of usage, the costs associated with using the API could still be significant. It's crucial for BMD to weigh the benefits of such an integration against the potential expenses.

Considering BMD's experience in developing machine learning models for tools like the Magic Mask, it's more likely they would invest in their own in-house ML model to integrate into the program. This approach would allow them to tailor the solution to their needs and potentially control costs more effectively.

In any case, the financial and strategic implications of integrating an external API like GPT-3 or GPT-4, or developing an in-house solution, should be carefully considered by BMD before moving forward.

Iddos, I think it's matter of a subscription with range from 3 to 5 euro month for user, and the way it's to use chatGPT 4 because have far deeper understanding and interpretation capabilities

and I believe that would not take more than a week to set up for BMD

in this case, the fact that the API have a precise cost on the request numbers the subscription is justified

BMD may also do a token based payment form

G.Crisci

PostMon Apr 03, 2023 8:06 am

John Paines wrote:I think you're way too optimistic. It's far from clear that ChatGPT has the "intelligence" to digest a 4000 manual and make sense of user's questions which don't repeat tag lines it can easily reference. For the engine to be useful, the operations of Resolve would actually have to be "understood".

Actual intelligent users have a similar difficulty: finding what they're looking for in the manual, but not knowing what word or phase to search for.

There's a word for the assistance needed -- it's called an index, which is way cheaper and simpler than ChatGPT.

John, this is the true power of chatGPT4, the understanding capabilities!
4000 pages for chatGPT 4 are like 1 chapter for a human (probably less)

ShaheedMalik

PostMon Apr 03, 2023 12:59 pm

You can actually do this with Bing AI already. Load the page up then ask Bing what ever question you want, and it will scan the PDF.

G.Crisci

PostMon Apr 03, 2023 4:22 pm

ShaheedMalik wrote:You can actually do this with Bing AI already. Load the page up then ask Bing what ever question you want, and it will scan the PDF.

Shaheed, good for small documents! unfortunately can't retain more than 1000 word in memory

Videoneth

• Warnings: 1

PostMon Apr 03, 2023 4:54 pm

I would prefer a proper local (and online) version of the manual, in HTML, with a proper search function with the results served in instant, like image-line does for FL Studio, and Serif with Affinity Photo (and other developers)... right now.

Something that was implemented in thousands and thousands of websites/softwares for the past 20 years now, and super easy to make. Especially when the 4000 pages manual already exists, it's just a matter of will.

For FL Studio, searching a word like "automation" will give results, with links you can open on new tabs... This would solve 98% (imo) the problems people have with the current pdf manual.
Windows 10
19b
nVidia 3090 - 552.22

Andy Mees

PostMon Apr 03, 2023 9:25 pm

Apologies for the pessimism, but whilst not without value, this is exactly the sort of bells and whistles fluff feature that product managers and developers would likely love to implement because it's oh so very new and hip and relevant ... instead of spending the dev time on actually improving the basic/core functionality of the software.

G.Crisci

PostTue Apr 04, 2023 5:00 pm

Andy Mees wrote:Apologies for the pessimism, but whilst not without value, this is exactly the sort of bells and whistles fluff feature that product managers and developers would likely love to implement because it's oh so very new and hip and relevant ... instead of spending the dev time on actually improving the basic/core functionality of the software.

Andy I see it more like a parallel project, it also doesn't require so many resources to get done and can give amazing help to new users

ShaheedMalik

PostWed Apr 05, 2023 1:44 pm

G.Crisci wrote:
ShaheedMalik wrote:You can actually do this with Bing AI already. Load the page up then ask Bing what ever question you want, and it will scan the PDF.

Shaheed, good for small documents! unfortunately can't retain more than 1000 word in memory

Are you sure? I loaded the PDF up and is correctly working for me.

G.Crisci

PostWed Apr 05, 2023 3:32 pm

ShaheedMalik wrote:
G.Crisci wrote:

Are you sure? I loaded the PDF up and is correctly working for me.

Yes, Bing Chat is trying to do (or most probably to simulate it...) probably with a smaller document would even work, but I have done many tests and it's failing, I attach here one example
Attachments
2023-04-05_172944.jpg
2023-04-05_172944.jpg (257.58 KiB) Viewed 1499 times

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests