Help me please with this db file

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

freyameyja

Help me please with this db file

PostWed May 24, 2023 7:44 pm

Hi im in over my head and have an assignment due tomorrow,

Resolve crashed on me and i thought it would be fine because i have saved my project,

well apparently only a .db file that can't open.
I've looked at other threads did the same thing with making a new folder but still nothing shows up.

Can someone please help me? I know the location of my db file [C:\Users\freya\AppData\Roaming\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Support\Resolve Disk Database\Resolve Projects\Users\Projects\SelfportraitDFA2023], and its in there just when i try to open it in resolve, it says the folders empty..

Jim Simon

Re: Help me please with this db file

PostSat May 27, 2023 2:53 pm

Have you completed any training for Resolve yet?

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... ning#books
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

John Paines

PostSat May 27, 2023 3:05 pm

The Beginner's Guide is not going to help you here.

Are you seeing that project in the Project Manager and when you try to open it you get an error message? Or is it not showing at all? What you actually did -- "making a new folder" -- is not clear.

I assume "SelfportraitDFA2023" is a folder. Look inside. Is there a file there called "project.db"? If so, upload that file to a file sharing service and post a link here. Staff may be able to fix it. Or not.

Of course, you should have had .drp back-ups, as well as database backups. Refer to the manual for instructions on backup procedures.

Steve Alexander

PostSat May 27, 2023 3:19 pm

Jim's question is appropriate in that I can't tell from the OP's question whether they are completely new to Resolve or an extremely advanced user poking around trying to copy db files from one project library location to another (my guess is an inexperienced user who got some bad advice from YouTube).

Anyway, John's suggestion is good. It sounds like your project db file is corrupt so perhaps if you provide a link to it, someone from BMD can confirm this.

In the future, perform an 'Export Project' operation every day to make sure you have a copy of your project (drp) and use a naming convention such as 'project_name_yyyy_mm_dd' to keep track of it. Note that a project export is just a set of instructions, it doesn't have the media with it. You can also setup Resolve to create automatic project backups apart from those generated manually.

Normally a crash of Resolve does not corrupt your saved project, but it can (and does) happen.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

Jim Simon

PostSat May 27, 2023 3:32 pm

John Paines wrote:The Beginner's Guide is not going to help you here.
That depends.

It does go over the proper way to open projects. Whether or not Freya already knows that was unclear.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

John Paines

PostSat May 27, 2023 3:37 pm

Jim, advising every user, in every situation, to read the beginner's guide and informing every newcomer of your biggest mistake may not be as helpful as you suppose, particularly when their situations are unlikely to be solved by your suggestions.

There is no minimum daily posting quota here. Your membership won't expire if you let a thread go by without comment.

Steve Alexander

PostSat May 27, 2023 7:01 pm

I like to comment when I see the two of you disagree, even if I have nothing meaningful to add - such is the case with this post.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

Marc Wielage

PostSun May 28, 2023 5:45 am

John Paines wrote:Jim, advising every user, in every situation, to read the beginner's guide and informing every newcomer of your biggest mistake may not be as helpful as you suppose, particularly when their situations are unlikely to be solved by your suggestions.

He's not wrong.

In this case, the easiest way to back up is to export a DRP of the session (preferably on a daily basis, with an ongoing project). That... you can always restore. A Resolve .db file is not intended to be moved or changed or renamed or copied directly by the user. Like it says in the manual, users need to do any session/database operations within the Project Manager. That includes backing up the Project Libraries, which you can very definitely restore with the Restore command.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

shebbe

PostSun May 28, 2023 11:43 am

Marc Wielage wrote:He's not wrong.
Maybe not directly. But saying someone should just read the manual or posting Youtube videos without context is a very crude and imo rude way of helping with someone's issues. It completely counters the concept of a forum by removing the social interaction with others experienced in the field. It also makes you look stupid by suggesting you actually not knowing anything about the problem at hand or possible solutions. I think it's pointless trying to defend such posts and rude to the OP. It doesn't matter if someone is a complete rookie or a senior user. Even the 'best' learn something new every day. People post to forums to get help because the interaction makes it easier to solve problems and they may receive solutions/insights that may have not been obvious through own trial/error and manual reading.

If you don't care about elaborating or giving solutions why bother posting in the first place.
Home System Resolve 18.6b9: Z790 / i9 13900K / 64GB DDR5 / RTX4090 / Win 11 / ASUS PA32UGC 1600 nits
Office System Resolve 18.6b9: X570 / Ryzen 9 5900X / 128GB DDR4 / RTX4090 / Win 11 / EIZO CG248-K

John Paines

PostSun May 28, 2023 12:40 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:He's not wrong.

Nobody is ever wrong for advising a user to consult reference materials. The question is whether it's helpful in every and all instances, any more than instructing all Premieres users who are questioning the forum narrowly on Resolve features that the only way they'll learn is to forget everything they know about Premiere and do as one person here, who's not a trainer, editor or a post-production professional, advises.

Marc Wielage wrote:In this case, the easiest way to back up is to export a DRP of the session (preferably on a daily basis, with an ongoing project).

Easy it may be, but in this case, there is appparently no backup. That's the situation which has be dealt with. Although to be fair, it's not altogether clear what the OP's problem actually is. If in fact she doesn't know how to use the project manager to open a project, that indeed would be a new low in user due diligence.

Marc Wielage wrote:A Resolve .db file is not intended to be moved or changed or renamed or copied directly by the user. Like it says in the manual, users need to do any session/database operations within the Project Manager. That includes backing up the Project Libraries, which you can very definitely restore with the Restore command.

I'm not sure where exactly it says that in the manual, but what you're supposed to do and what you may have to do are two different things. Some conditions are not correctable from the Project Manager. Dwaine himself routinely provides instructions for adding projects directly to the Projects folder -- manually, not through the Project Manager. And you can't "very definitely restore with the Restore command" if there's nothing to restore. Or the restore fails.

If the choice is between losing everything or manually altering the database with a simple copy and paste operation, what will you do? Tell the client the manual says you're not allowed?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue May 30, 2023 6:29 pm

Put your .db file on a file sharing site and provide a link here, and it can be examined to see if it's recoverable.

If you are a new user, the forum system may not allow you to post a URL. If that happens, just put a space near the front of the URL so the system doesn't think it's a URL.

Make sure the link you post does not require access credentials.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Michel Rabe

PostTue May 30, 2023 9:59 pm

John Paines wrote:There is no minimum daily posting quota here. Your membership won't expire if you let a thread go by without comment.

lol

Three things are certain concerning Resolve database troubles; they'll keep popping up, John will try to help each and every time, but only after Jim has reminded the desperate souls that they should have read the manual :)

Jim Simon

PostWed May 31, 2023 1:46 pm

It truly baffles me that anyone could be opposed to the idea of learning how to do something before you try doing it.

For those who look at my original comment only as a suggestion, you're missing something.

I phrased it as a question purposefully. It could be that Freya is trying to open a Resolve project the same way one might open a Premiere Pro project, by clicking the file on the hard drive. My question was an attempt to ascertain if that's true.

It's a QUESTION, first and foremost. It's only a 'suggestion' (and hence a solution to her issue) if the answer to that question is no.

Sheesh!
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

John Paines

PostWed May 31, 2023 2:19 pm

Sheesh, indeed, Jim. You don't know when to stop. Do the forum a favor and put aside your 30,000 post goal....

Steve Alexander

PostWed May 31, 2023 5:07 pm

Freya will never post here again... :?
Time Traveller

Ulrich W.

PostWed May 31, 2023 9:38 pm

Just a comment: Coming from Edius (6/7/8), opening an automatic backup is much easier there than it is with Resolve; it (edius) even suggests to load an automatic backup if Edius is restarted after a crash ;-)

Michel Rabe

PostWed May 31, 2023 10:18 pm

Freya, don't feel discouraged to keep asking if you're still having trouble.

Ulrich W. wrote:Just a comment: Coming from Edius (6/7/8), opening an automatic backup is much easier there than it is with Resolve; it (edius) even suggests to load an automatic backup if Edius is restarted after a crash ;-)

Every NLE is easier in that regard than Resolve :)

John Paines

PostWed May 31, 2023 11:16 pm

Michel Rabe wrote:Every NLE is easier in that regard than Resolve :)

And no NLE, much less a free one, or going for all of $299, with year after year of free updates, offers what Resolve does.

Is it reasonable to compare a system designed for collaborative industrial projects with standalone NLEs meant mainly for solo operators?

It's true there are frequent database questions here, but they're also coming mostly from people who will resist to the death reading ten pages of the manual (and no, I'm not advising anyone to do beginner's training). If the lack of self-executing project files is so great an impediment, along with creating and connecting databases, in 3 or 4 guided steps, how the hell will anyone get through post-production?

Michel Rabe

PostThu Jun 01, 2023 12:02 am

True. And yet, it could be easier.

Uli Plank

PostThu Jun 01, 2023 4:15 am

I can export my current project any time from the ‚home‘ page.
If I double-click that project, it opens in DR. But then, I’m using a Mac.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Return to DaVinci Resolve