How to Conform timeline clips to new media bins?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Caleb Bell-Jones

How to Conform timeline clips to new media bins?

PostMon May 29, 2023 2:56 am

Hello All,

I am trying to figure out the conform functionality. I received an unfinished feature film project that I am trying to clean up...

The project basically had a full rough cut in the timeline but all the audio and video was dumped into one bin, with the audio either mis-synced or deleted.

I created a bin for each shoot day and logged and synced the audio and video. Now I am trying to reconform the old timeline using the new media bins with the correct audio and file naming conventions.

I followed the instructions in the manual by disabling "conform lock enable", and then selected "Reconform from bins" but when I do this the timeline sequence gets rearranged or gives me an "unable" error message.

Basically, I am trying to preserve the "in and out" points on the old edit, while replacing the clips in the timeline with the new "synced and linked" media in the updated bins.

I read page 1028 of the manual, but none of those options seems to be doing what I need, If anyone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Caleb

John Paines

Re: How to Conform timeline clips to new media bins?

PostMon May 29, 2023 1:19 pm

Reconform options typically redefine the relationship between the timeline and media clips currently in the media pool (replacing a set of proxies with a set of masters, for example, when both are in the media pool) or between the media pool and media on disk, as in "relink" a file to another clip, which will also affect the timeline.

What you seem to want to do is replace timeline clips with the altered but original media pool clips. Without seeing exactly what you've, it's hard to say , but you might have to perform an editing replace, preceded maybe by a match frame to preserve in/outs for each clip, if you want the timeline to reflect the new file names and sync. Conform lock, performed for each clip, might also work in some instances.

Return to DaVinci Resolve