[Issue] Box filter resizing in Edit Timeline is unusable.

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Snadegg

[Issue] Box filter resizing in Edit Timeline is unusable.

PostMon Apr 24, 2023 1:22 am

This may be a relatively niche issue, but it's a pretty important one in my opinion.

There is a massive difference between the implementation of Box filtering in the edit timeline vs Fusion.

I used the same image for both scaling methods, both scaled by a factor of 60 and rotated by 60 degrees.

In Fusion:
Fusion.jpg
In Fusion, box filtering behaves as expected. Pixels are square and there isn't any aliasing.
Fusion.jpg (235.44 KiB) Viewed 659 times

In the Edit Page:
EditPage.jpg
In the Edit page, pixels get turned into rhombuses and it introduces aliasing. The strange thing is that it behaves as expected if all you do is upscale, not rotate.
EditPage.jpg (215.04 KiB) Viewed 659 times

Why does this matter? In Fusion, the Box filter is perfect for upscaling pixel art or screen capture footage. Bilinear and Bicubic upscaling cause gross, fuzzy pixels and weird diamond patterns. Nearest Neighbor works perfectly for scaling by whole integers (200%, 300%, 400%, etc.) but will introduce aliasing and cannot be smoothly transformed without causing pixel shift artifacts across rows and columns. Box retains the sharp pixels of Nearest Neighbor while also achieving the smooth transformations of bilinear/bicubic filtering. If that word vomit was too much, watch this video and skip to 1:02

Here's a quick demo:
FilterComparison.png
A comparison of filters. Box, Nearest Neighbor, Bilinear, and Bicubic. This picture is extremely low resolution in order to easily demonstrate Nearest neighbor aliasing.
FilterComparison.png (201.79 KiB) Viewed 659 times

I would love to see this fixed while 18.5 is still in beta. Thanks!
Windows 11, RTX 3070, Ryzen 5900x, 96 GB @ 3200MHz

Sven H

Re: [Issue] Box filter resizing in Edit Timeline is unusable

PostMon Apr 24, 2023 6:30 am

what is the original resolution of the image and what is the resolution of the timeline? do you use Center Crop, Fit, Full Frame?

also just to be sure, is the pixel aspect ratio square? there is a known rotation bug with anamorphic footage. but i assume that's not the case here, right?

Snadegg

PostSun Apr 30, 2023 8:04 pm

Sven H wrote:what is the original resolution of the image and what is the resolution of the timeline? do you use Center Crop, Fit, Full Frame?

also just to be sure, is the pixel aspect ratio square? there is a known rotation bug with anamorphic footage. but i assume that's not the case here, right?

Ugh, sorry. I always turn on notifications for my posts and it never works.

It's just a 16x16 PNG Mario sprite in this example. I used center crop, but the parallelogram-ization of the pixels happens regardless of scaling option when I use the box filter. I used the Mario sprite for demonstration purposes, but this happens with much less extreme zoom levels on higher resolution footage as well. Nothing here is anamorphic.

Here's an example. The source "footage" is 720p.
SortaZoom.jpg
Zoomed in by 1.3x. Rotated 43.4 degrees. You can see weird artifacts at defined edges, which occur in regular intervals diagonally.
SortaZoom.jpg (525.57 KiB) Viewed 446 times

Megazoom.jpg
Zoomed in 15x. Rotated 43.4 degrees. Here, you can see the rhombuses.
Megazoom.jpg (127.1 KiB) Viewed 446 times

Snadegg

PostFri May 05, 2023 4:33 am

This is a ping so that BMD devs might see it.

To be fair though, this tweak doesn't really matter unless BMD overhauls their keyframe system in the Edit timeline.

There are 2 main workarounds I can think of:
  • Just do all of your animations with pixel art in Fusion. It has a better keyframe system anyway.
  • When you import whatever you wanna upscale, go to Fusion and add a Resize node to get it up to the desired resolution.

Snadegg

PostMon May 29, 2023 10:30 pm

Ping

Testing in 18.5 beta 3, the rombus-ing isn't just an issue with the box filter either. the following is a list of filters in the edit page that break when rotation is involved:
  • Smoother
  • Sharper
  • Bessel
  • Box (Though this has the unique issue of not even working right when just scaling. It's equivalent to NN until you rotate it.)
  • Catmull-Rom
  • Cubic
  • Gaussian
  • Lanczos
  • Linear
  • Mitchell
  • Quadratic
  • Sinc

This means that the only usable filters if you're going to be rotating are:

• Bicubic
  • Bilinear
  • Nearest Neighbor (As long as severe aliasing is alright with you.)

This is really bizarre, no? It looks like all of the filters past "sharper" are ripped from Fusion, so why don't they work?

I'm surprised this hasn't been addressed yet.

Return to DaVinci Resolve