Resolve Slow, Skipping Timeline and Wont Play.

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Hundleton1

Resolve Slow, Skipping Timeline and Wont Play.

PostMon May 29, 2023 9:20 am

Hi All, I am recording content in OBS in 4K CPQ 18 and editing that in Resolve 18 Studio.

Over the last few weeks especially im finding its running terribly with the time line being so slow its madness. Its dropping frames left right and centre, it often wont start to play and the only way I can even start to get it to be something even remotely usable is by setting the live timeline proxy resolution to quarter.

Now I have render cache set to Smart and I have checked everything and I just cant work out what's going on, I make a lot of quick fire record and edit content so rendering proxies is far from ideal and it was neve like this before.

The PC Spec is
AMD 5900X
32GB RAM
RTX3080.
All Footage on Samsung 970 integral PCIE SSD.

I have manually set the GPU options for the 3080 as well.

I'm not going to say it was always perfect but its divinely not right. I have checked everything on the PC side and its fine, its something resolve related.

Any ideas or suggestions would be great.

Marc Wielage

Re: Resolve Slow, Skipping Timeline and Wont Play.

PostTue May 30, 2023 4:24 am

OBS (which is essentially H.264/265 in a wrapper) is not a great format for post in a lot of different ways. Convert it all to something a lot simpler like DNxHR SQ, and I bet it'll run just fine.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to DaVinci Resolve