shirt with sweat pits

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Yannick Willox

shirt with sweat pits

PostTue May 30, 2023 7:52 pm

Hi everyone.

I recently did a shoot, hot day, and some people forgot the dress code. Main problem is the solo vocalist, who was really sweating ...

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

I already tried with a mask + CC (making the sweat less dark) + tracking. Decent, but not perfect, and I still need half a day work to get through all the shots concerned (the piece is 7 minutes long).

Anyone has an idea that works either quick or better ?

My remaining problem is, I can mainly see the edge between the corrected spot and the rest of the shirt, and if I look closely, I can see some of the tracking.

Thanks for any ideas !

Marc Wielage

Re: shirt with sweat pits

PostTue May 30, 2023 11:50 pm

I would hire a VFX artist and brace myself for a costly, time-consuming fix. We sometimes struggle with make-up problems on set that are difficult (if not impossible) to fix in post.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Igor Riđanović

PostThu Jun 01, 2023 8:09 pm

Agree with Marc. This is a VFX thing. We just did some of that a couple of weeks ago. You may want to look into Surface Tracker if doing this yourself.
www.metafide.com - DaVinci Resolve™ Apps

Sean Nelson

PostFri Jun 02, 2023 4:07 am

I wonder if it might be less work to composite some additional out-of-focus performers or equipment into the foreground in order to hide the sweat marks...
DR Studio 18.6.4 Build 6, Win10Pro x64 22H2/19045.3570
Asus C246 Pro Motherboard, Xeon E-2278G@3.4GHz, 64GB ECC RAM
GeForce 3060 12GB, "Studio" driver 512.15
OS,Library: 1TB NVMe SSD - Project,Cache: 1TB NVMe SSD

Sam Steti

PostFri Jun 02, 2023 7:21 am

Hey,

Is it under NDA ? If not, can we see a bit longer, i.e. a short clip of it in movement ?

I'm into these kind of struggles for several clients (and BTW did a job for one user here on the forum, funny, a unbelievably tricky and shiny necklace to remove, remember JD ? ;) ).
So far, I have to fix a remove of an untrackable car in the night, I'd agree to have a look on it if it's suitable to you...
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Yannick Willox

PostFri Jun 02, 2023 9:14 am

Sam Steti wrote:Hey,

Is it under NDA ? If not, can we see a bit longer, i.e. a short clip of it in movement ?

I'm into these kind of struggles for several clients (and BTW did a job for one user here on the forum, funny, a unbelievably tricky and shiny necklace to remove, remember JD ? ;) ).
So far, I have to fix a remove of an untrackable car in the night, I'd agree to have a look on it if it's suitable to you...

I added the .mov with the problem, and a short version of my fix. The client is happy with that, I just need to get to the end. Some moments I am not so happy, so if it can be improved - shoot !

Sam Steti

PostSun Jun 04, 2023 9:28 am

Hey

Didn't have a chance to post so far, but here's a way I always try first to see to what extent I could use this or that as a solution to fix the issue.The screenshot is therefore not a final solution but a sort of patch replacer thing I do in Fusion or Nuke to experience the general blending of it.
Thus, you see there his right arm pit is on its way to be fixed and can be compared to the other one which is not.

Unfortunately, I still don't have time right now, but here's what I saw :
- for his chest and specifically the separate sweat spots : I'm pretty confident this could be done in Resolve, by tracking it even by hand, reducing the midtones details and then color correcting it. Therefore I'd keep these parts for the end, in Resolve

- armpits : the first quick test you read above showed you could patch by hand...
The other solution (I thought I'd be forced to use in the first place) is magicMask the guy and keep it around > surface tracker or mocha powermesh the shirt > apply an average shirt texture based on what he's wearing > put the rest of the guy back with the MM merged on.
This is bigger but has the advantage to treat every spot in one fix AND... could be used to wipe out some pieces of the lectern or something which sometimes occurs in the way...

The bad news is : I'm afraid you'll eventually make it clip by clip :) . If you're satisfied with a patch solution, this latter may however be quite easily copied and pasted and only arranged after I think
Good luck ;)
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
right pit only
screenshot.jpg (918.46 KiB) Viewed 588 times

Yannick Willox

PostWed Jun 07, 2023 7:49 am

Thanks for the suggestions !
My client finds my fix good enough, and it fits the budget, so I will continue as I was doing, should be done in half a day.

Marc Wielage

PostWed Jun 07, 2023 11:24 pm

Yannick Willox wrote:Thanks for the suggestions! My client finds my fix good enough, and it fits the budget, so I will continue as I was doing, should be done in half a day.

That is excellent news that you found a solution that everybody could live with. It is sad that you had to spend half a day when better clothing and/or a deodorant would have solved the problem in 10 seconds on set. Trust me, I deal with makeup issues all the time, and it gives me migraine headaches.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Sam Steti

PostThu Jun 08, 2023 8:44 am

:D True
And a whole bunch of mismatched jewels/ornaments on movies or documentaries scenes ...

Yannick Willox

PostThu Jun 08, 2023 10:32 am

In this case we had two major issues : a few people forgot they had to bring a concert jacket (it was very hot that day ...) and due to the over-acoustic space I had to put up much more mics, hence too many cables (I did not nearly bring enough cabling to get everything out of sight, and there was not enough time anyway). In the end the 5-6 cams had to be placed rather quickly and we had to hit record.

Return to DaVinci Resolve