Project Crashes immediately upon opening (Troubleshooting)

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

gavincannon

Project Crashes immediately upon opening (Troubleshooting)

PostMon May 29, 2023 1:22 am

Hey folks, my first post here so let me know if I am breaking protocol in anyway.

I have been editing this project on and off for about 8 months. Lately when I was "finishing it up" for the 12th time it just crashed and I can't open it back up again.

I had created a new timeline with a UHD resolution and I was having some issues with some lag, but I just turned off my deflicker effects and that worked until it suddenly just quit.

I have a pretty good PC RTX 3070 graphics card and Ryzen 7 5800 cpu. It has had almost no problems running anything unless I put it under unreasonable strain. I have tried making a copy of the project and importing it and I have tried disabling the grading effects and opening it.

I have moved my files out of their folder so that the project can't access them so there REALLY shouldn't be anything to even load.

I am really at a loss here. Any advice or tips or if anyone had any experience with this at all would be much appreciated! Rock and Roll!

Uli Plank

Re: Project Crashes immediately upon opening (Troubleshootin

PostMon May 29, 2023 8:01 am

Possibly only your prefs are damaged. This was by Dwaine from BM:

"Open File Explorer Options, and on the View tab, enable "Show hidden files, folders and drives".

Also unselect "Hide extensions for known file types".

Then in File Explorer, navigate to this folder:

C:\Users\bbrow\AppData\Roaming\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve

Rename the Preferences folder to Preferences.old

Now Resolve should start.

It will have all the Resolve preferences set to default values.

If you had more than the standard default "Local Database" project library, those will not be shown. You'll need select the "Add Project Library" button and then select the "Connect" item, then enter the name and location of the project library(s). You can find that info in the dblist.conf file in the Preferences.old folder.

And if you had any other Resolve Preferences items modified from their default values, you'll need to modify those again as desired."
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

gavincannon

PostTue May 30, 2023 5:22 am

Hey thanks for the reply. I tried that out and it didn't end up working :(

Would having too many timelines be an issue? I have 12 on this particular project. Do you know of a way to remove a timeline from a project file?

Uli Plank

PostWed May 31, 2023 4:23 am

No idea how to without opening the project.
But you could try to re-install DR and fresh GPU drivers. Normally the database is not affected by that, but you should keep a backup.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostWed May 31, 2023 7:15 am

gavincannon wrote:Hey thanks for the reply. I tried that out and it didn't end up working :(

Would having too many timelines be an issue? I have 12 on this particular project. Do you know of a way to remove a timeline from a project file?

We have customers with more than 300 timelines in a project so the number alone is not the issue, its system config and how many are open at the same time.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed May 31, 2023 7:03 pm

Since you were able to export the project, if you can provide a link to the project export .drp, we can take a look at it.

A Resolve log file generated after you try to load the project would also be helpful. When you restart Resolve, start a new project, or load a project that works, and select the Resolve Help menu, then select Create Diagnostics Log on Desktop.

Do you have Resolve Preferences - User - Project Save and Load - Project Backups enabled?

Do you have any earlier project export drps you could revert to? Or Project Library backups?
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

gavincannon

PostFri Jun 02, 2023 5:05 am

I just have the current drp. It hadn't even crossed my mind to back things up to be honest with you.

I checked my GPU memory usage and it spikes to the top when I open the project so something is overloading it.

I used optical flow on all my clips to double the frame rate which might have something to do with it. It's good to know Timeline quantity doesn't effect performance which makes sense. Frankly I always expected my GPU to be bulletproof which is a bit naive of me. I'll have to look into proxies.

Here is a link to the drp that crashes my program. Timeline 12 is the latest one that is giving me issues. I have an almost identical timeline except for the small tweaks I was making so it wouldn't be much of a loss.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Myj2yk ... sp=sharing

Thanks so much for all your help everyone!:)

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jun 02, 2023 4:45 pm

A Resolve diagnostics log, as requested above, would be most helpful...
Dwaine Maggart

gavincannon

PostSun Jun 25, 2023 7:21 pm

I am very sorry about that my wires must've gotten crossed. Here is the requested file.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-JEUw2 ... sp=sharing

I hope the sharing settings are adequate.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jun 26, 2023 5:45 pm

Unfortunately, the sharing settings are not adequate. The link is requesting access credentials.

The first file you shared was OK. Use the same method to share this file.
Dwaine Maggart

gavincannon

PostWed Jun 28, 2023 5:32 am

Sorry about that, I changed the settings.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-JEUw2 ... sp=sharing

There is the link. Thanks for your patience.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jun 28, 2023 6:43 pm

OK, the issue is you have an RTX3070 GPU with 8GB of VRAM. It appears that on the Timeline 12 that opens, you have one (of many) Edit page FX - Deflickers active, on clip 39. That's causing the GPU to use more VRAM than you have.

You should be seeing GPU memory errors when you load the project. Unless it's crashing so quick you don't see them.

But that clip 39 Deflicker being active is what's causing Timeline 12 to crash.

Here's a link to a version of the project with deflicker disabled on clip 39. Give this a try:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9wkiszntt2pbg ... 9.drp?dl=0

I would also advise that if you enable any of the other deflickers on the other clips you've applied them to, the same crash is likely to happen.

Basically, with 8GB of VRAM, you are on the edge for some of the FX. It's a good thing you are using an HD timeline. A UHD timeline would totally exceed your VRAM with the FX you are using in this project.

The solution would be a GPU with more VRAM. The more the better.
Dwaine Maggart

gavincannon

PostFri Jun 30, 2023 5:28 am

Thanks so much for your help!
That got the project to be able to open again! I found out my timeline 12 was set to a custom resolution that was 6k. Downresing helped dropped the vram usage a lot.
I really appreciate your patience and help for these weeks Dwaine!

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jun 30, 2023 6:39 am

Damn, custom timeline settings strike again. I didn't think to look at that, and was assuming it was an HD timeline. That makes a lot more sense then. Sorry I missed that.
Dwaine Maggart

Return to DaVinci Resolve