Resolve won't start

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: Resolve won't start

PostWed May 24, 2023 7:12 pm

The link points to a file called logs. Downloading it results in a 0 byte size file.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

ZuckTom

PostTue May 30, 2023 10:56 am

Just Installed Davinci Resolve 18, it shows up in Task Manager but it just plain, nothing happens. Not even crash

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed May 31, 2023 6:08 pm

In a File Explorer window, go to:

C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve

and run CaptureLogs

This will place a Resolve log file named similar to this on your Windows desktop: DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20181228_140434.zip (You may not see the .zip extension if your system is set to hide known extensions).

Then open Windows System Information and do a File - Save (Not a File Export), which will generate a .NFO file.

Place both those files on a file sharing site and provide links to the files here. Make sure the links don't require access credentials.

If you are a new Forum user, you may not be allowed to post URLs. If this happens, just put a space near the front of the URL, so the system doesn't think it's a URL.
Dwaine Maggart

ZuckTom

PostThu Jun 01, 2023 6:48 am

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jun 02, 2023 4:33 pm

I'm confused by your logs.

You currently have Resolve 17.4.6 installed. All the crash logs were with 16.2.8.

But you had 18.0.4 installed, and all the good logs show that. So it seems like 18.0.4 was working OK.

Is there some reason you wanted to use an older version that 18.0.4?
Dwaine Maggart

r3sonant

PostSun Jun 04, 2023 10:57 am

Hello.

I'm also having an issue with Davinci Resolve not starting.

It was working fine. I installed the 18.5b3 on my Windows 11 laptop and opened it. At the new feature page on startup I noticed a pop up that had popped under saying I needed to restart to complete the installation, so I did.

Now when I try to open Resolve it gets to Loading Fairlight engine and pops up a warning about previously crashing. When I click ignore Resolve just disappears.

I have run the CaptureLogs batch file and uploaded it to my Google Drive with the NFO file.

Here is the link.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Steev.

ZuckTom

PostMon Jun 05, 2023 3:24 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:I'm confused by your logs.

You currently have Resolve 17.4.6 installed. All the crash logs were with 16.2.8.

But you had 18.0.4 installed, and all the good logs show that. So it seems like 18.0.4 was working OK.

Is there some reason you wanted to use an older version that 18.0.4?

My friend told me that he had a same issue then he installed an older version suddenly he can open the resolve completely fine.

If the 18.0.4 version show good logs, ive already reinstalled it in my pc but it wont start again. The hourglass icon on my cursor just appear in few seconds then it gone. nothing happen.

I opened up my task manager it shows the davinci resolve running but nothing appears in my screen

By the way thankyou so much for keep responding to my problem

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jun 05, 2023 9:06 pm

@Steev: Do you have a Fairlight Audio Accelerator card installed in your system?

If not, when you ran the Resolve installer, did you check the "Fairlight Audio Accelerator Utility" checkbox? If so, open the Windows Programs & features control panel, and Uninstall that utility.

Then see if Resolve will open.
Dwaine Maggart

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jun 05, 2023 9:07 pm

@Muhammad: What version of Resolve do you currently have installed which is not starting?

Please provide another Resolve log and NFO file for your current config.
Dwaine Maggart

r3sonant

PostTue Jun 06, 2023 5:59 am

Hi Dwaine. thanks for the reply.

No, I don't have the Fairlight card and I hadn't installed the utility.

I looked at what was installed under Blackmagic and all I could see were Davinci Resolve, Blackmagic RAW Common Components and DaVinci Resolve Control Panels which have an install date of last year. I uninstalled all but Davinci Resolve to no avail.

Blackmagic Installs.png
Blackmagic Installs.png (26.98 KiB) Viewed 5691 times

I have also tried uninstalling and reinstalling Davinci Resolve but that didn't fix it.

I had a look in System Restore and due to a recent Windows Update there was a restore point from before the upgrade to 18.5. I rolled back to that and was able to run Davinci Resolve, so I tried the upgrade again but it still won't start.

Thank you.

ZuckTom

PostTue Jun 06, 2023 8:10 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:@Muhammad: What version of Resolve do you currently have installed which is not starting?

Please provide another Resolve log and NFO file for your current config.

Right now im using the 18.0.4 installed on my pc, here's the latest log and nfo file

thankyou so much dwaine, i really appreciated your help

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jun 06, 2023 4:24 pm

@Steev:

To see if this is related to some issue with Resolve Preferences settings, do the following:

Open File Explorer Options, and on the View tab, enable "Show hidden files, folders and drives".

Also unselect "Hide extensions for known file types".

Then in File Explorer, navigate to this folder:

C:\Users\Steev\AppData\Roaming\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve

Rename the Preferences folder to Preferences.old

Now see if Resolve will start.

If it does, it will have all the Resolve preferences set to default values.

If you had more than the standard default "Local Database" project library, those will not be shown. You'll need select the "Add Project Library" button and then select the "Connect" item, then enter the name and location of the project library(s). You can find that info in the dblist.conf file in the Preferences.old folder.

And if you had any other Resolve Preferences items modified from their default values, you'll need to modify those again as desired.

If Resolve still doesn't start, send a new Resolve log file.
Dwaine Maggart

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jun 06, 2023 4:44 pm

@Muhammad:

Couple of things to try. Start by doing this:

Open File Explorer Options, and on the View tab, enable "Show hidden files, folders and drives".

Then In File Explorer, go to this folder:

C:\Program Files\Common Files

Rename the OFX folder to OFX.orig

Now see if Resolve will start. If it does, there may be an issue with the REVisionEffects plugins.

If that doesn't help, rename the OFX.orig folder back to OFX.

Then to see if it may be some Resolve preferences issue, do this:

In File Explorer, navigate to this folder:

C:\Users\Muhammad Dzaki D\AppData\Roaming\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve

Dwaine Maggart

r3sonant

PostTue Jun 06, 2023 5:33 pm

Renaming the preferences folder worked for me.

Thank you for your help Dwaine.

ZuckTom

PostWed Jun 07, 2023 9:11 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:@Muhammad:

Couple of things to try. Start by doing this:

Then In File Explorer, go to this folder:

C:\Program Files\Common Files

Rename the OFX folder to OFX.orig

Now see if Resolve will start. If it does, there may be an issue with the REVisionEffects plugins.

If that doesn't help, rename the OFX.orig folder back to OFX.

Then to see if it may be some Resolve preferences issue, do this:

In File Explorer, navigate to this folder:

C:\Users\Muhammad Dzaki D\AppData\Roaming\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve

Ive tried both of this, and the resolve was started, then the quick setup menu appears but after i click on "skip and start right now" nothing seems to work and nothing appear on my screen :(

seems like a long journey to fix this issues
Attachments
Davinci 2.jpg
Davinci 2.jpg (44.31 KiB) Viewed 5533 times
Davinci.jpg
Davinci.jpg (92.6 KiB) Viewed 5542 times

VMFXBV

PostWed Jun 07, 2023 3:56 pm

ZuckTom wrote:
seems like a long journey to fix this issues

Long shot but try and see if the Resolve executable or shortcut isn't set to Compatibility Mode.
AMD Ryzen 5800X3D
AMD Radeon 7900XTX
Ursa Mini 4.6K
Pocket 4K

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jun 07, 2023 4:39 pm

Please provide a new Resolve log and NFO file for the current situation.
Dwaine Maggart

ZuckTom

PostWed Jun 07, 2023 4:54 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Please provide a new Resolve log and NFO file for the current situation.

Here's my latest logs and nfo file

thank you so much

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jun 07, 2023 6:17 pm

In your original post on May 30, you said you just installed Resolve 18 and it wouldn't launch.

But your rolling logs show you were using Resolve 18.0.4 at least back to Feb 4. So Resolve 18.0.4 (which is what you currently have installed) was apparently running at that point. But looking at a more recent rolling log, I see you've been trying LOTS of different Resolve versions.

It appears that on May 30, with 18.0.4 installed, that at 13:53, with the "Untitled Project 2" project loaded, something happened that caused the Fusion templates to be updated. And then after that point, Resolve is hanging at the area where it would be reading the Fusion related data.

So, do you recall what you might have done in the area of Fusion templates on May 30 around 13:53? Did you install some new 3rd party templates?

Try this - In File Explorer, go to this folder:

C:\Users\Muhammad Dzaki D\AppData\Roaming\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Support

Rename the Fusion folder to Fusion.orig

Now launch Resolve. Did that work?
Dwaine Maggart

ZuckTom

PostThu Jun 08, 2023 1:04 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:In your original post on May 30, you said you just installed Resolve 18 and it wouldn't launch.

But your rolling logs show you were using Resolve 18.0.4 at least back to Feb 4. So Resolve 18.0.4 (which is what you currently have installed) was apparently running at that point. But looking at a more recent rolling log, I see you've been trying LOTS of different Resolve versions.

It appears that on May 30, with 18.0.4 installed, that at 13:53, with the "Untitled Project 2" project loaded, something happened that caused the Fusion templates to be updated. And then after that point, Resolve is hanging at the area where it would be reading the Fusion related data.

So, do you recall what you might have done in the area of Fusion templates on May 30 around 13:53? Did you install some new 3rd party templates?

Try this - In File Explorer, go to this folder:

C:\Users\Muhammad Dzaki D\AppData\Roaming\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Support

Rename the Fusion folder to Fusion.orig

Now launch Resolve. Did that work?

I think on May 30 I tried to use a template from a content creator guy and I tried to tweak on the template

inside the template, there's an effect that can be used only on resolve Studio, then the warning messages keep appearing (I cannot remember exactly what the warning messages are, but it's related to some effects that cannot be used).
Is that mean, I cannot install something on the fusion folder or anything else?

Btw, Renaming the fusion folder works for mee and the resolve works completely fine rn, thank you so much Dwaine :)

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jun 08, 2023 3:38 am

I'm glad that got it going.

You can install anything you want in the Fusion folder. As long as it doesn't require Resolve Studio, and as long as it's not something that breaks Resolve.
Dwaine Maggart

ColProZ

PostMon Jun 12, 2023 3:07 am

Hi i've got a problem with my davinci resolve 18 when i start it.

The element capture i link to this message is what i see and davinci is just blocked like this and do nothing
(i updated my GPU, Reinstall it properly it doesen't change anything to be honnest)

My spec PC are :
Windows 11 familly
64x
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor 3.60GHz
32,0 Go RAM
3090 TI 24go GPU

If you have any idea i'll try it
Attachments
Capture d’écran 2023-05-13 122900.png
Capture d’écran 2023-05-13 122900.png (503.34 KiB) Viewed 5238 times

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jun 13, 2023 8:59 pm

and run CaptureLogs

This will place a Resolve log file named similar to this on your Windows desktop: DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20181228_140434.zip (You may not see the .zip extension if your system is set to hide known extensions).

Then open Windows System Information and do a File - Save (Not a File Export), which will generate a .NFO file.

Place both those files on a file sharing site and provide links to the files here. Make sure the links don't require access credentials.

If you are a new Forum user, you may not be allowed to post URLs. If this happens, just put a space near the front of the URL, so the system doesn't think it's a URL.
Dwaine Maggart

rosewaterx

PostFri Jun 16, 2023 1:46 am

I also started having this exact issue recently, but in my Support folder there is no Fusion folder to rename, any ideas for what else I could do?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jun 16, 2023 4:10 pm

and run CaptureLogs

Dwaine Maggart

Fronce

PostMon Jun 19, 2023 9:23 pm

Dear forum helpers, especially Dwaine, I need help,
I use DaVinchi Resolve To edit videos for my small Youtube channel and it used to work. Recently I updated from my old GT 1030 to my new RX 580. No matter what I do it will not open, but will show up in task manager for aprox. 2 seconds before closing. I have been searching online and haven't been able to get anything to work. I started with what was on this website: minitool. | com /partition-disk | /davinci-resolve-not-opening | .html but nothing on there worked (compatibility mode, IGPU multi-monitor, virtual memory fixes, and a clean install). I tried re-installing 3 times using both 18.1.4 and 18.5, neither working. I also tried what was in this video: youtube | .com/ watch?v=bFVywDATYVk (drivers, USB devices, VPNs, windows firewall, compatibility mode, and TCP port scanner) nothing worked and it suggested that I come here. So here I am, asking for anyone's help. Thank you for reading all this junk I've written and thank you for any support you can give.

This is my .NFO file and my logs should be attached at the bottom:
drop box | .com | /s/88j0dei217aozu3/Skie-PC-Info.nfo?dl=0

Sorry about links being confusing, the system wouldn't let me post anything. Most of them I added a | in to help, please delete that when pasting into search engine. Sorry about the inconvienence
Attachments
DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20230619_155536.zip
(271.81 KiB) Downloaded 196 times

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jun 21, 2023 6:04 pm

There is still NVIDIA stuff running that appears to be interfering with Resolve's ability to properly detect the AMD GPU.

I would recommend installing and running the DDU app, and using it to uninstall the NVIDIA stuff.

Details about using DDU can be found in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=119852&hilit=%2Bddu#p659861

This thread is detailing removing an Intel driver. Just select NVIDIA GPU instead of Intel GPU.

If you still have issues after doing that, send a new Resolve log and NFO file.
Dwaine Maggart

Horis0701

PostMon Jun 26, 2023 7:59 pm

Hi, I just successfully download the davinci resolve but i can't open it,I've try lots of things that they told me in Youtube but it still doesn't works,so would you mind to help me to solve this problem please? :D

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jun 27, 2023 4:43 pm

Assuming you are using Windows...

and run CaptureLogs

Dwaine Maggart

T_Holc5267

PostWed Jun 28, 2023 8:51 pm

Hi, I'm having a trouble launching the web app. There is nothing running in the task manager and the app doesn't crash, just never opens.

Please let me know if there's anything you can do to help!

Below are the files requested:

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jun 30, 2023 6:59 am

Just to close the loop on this, I assume it took a day or 2 for this message to be approved. Tanner PM'd me in the meantime, and the issue was a corrupt config.dat file. Deleting the file fixed the startup issue.
Dwaine Maggart

Chromatic

PostSat Jul 01, 2023 8:10 am

Hi Dwaine,

I have recently bought an Intel ARC A770 graphics card, and when I tried to open Davinci Resolve, nothing happens, not even in task manager, I have tried numerous fixes, none of which have worked.

Here are the Files you usually request: https://drive.goo gle.com/drive/folders/1rLpP3GlNVkBAaSYzgCILjWMyh3o8SUY1?usp=sharing

Thank you for your time
Regards,
Gruffyn

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jul 03, 2023 3:27 pm

There's an NVIDIA driver component that's crashing Resolve during it's GPU detect process.

I would recommend using DDU to remove the NVIDIA driver. Here's a link to a forum post discussing how to do this. This link discusses removing the Intel driver. In the GPU area, select NVIDIA instead of Intel:

If you still have an issue after this, please send a new Resolve log and NFO file.
Dwaine Maggart

Chromatic

PostWed Jul 05, 2023 1:16 pm

Thank you very much Dwaine, this has fixed all my issues, keep up the good work!

Regards,
Gruffyn Goodenough-Wheatley

Horis0701

PostWed Jul 05, 2023 10:55 pm

Version 10.0.22621 Build 22621
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name LAPTOP-NE7FPQA7
System Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
System Model VivoBook_ASUSLaptop X712EA_K712EA
System Type x64-based PC
Processor 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz, 2803 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends International, LLC. X712EA.305, 03/09/2021
SMBIOS Version 3.3
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.22621.1413"

Hi,i had just download the free version of Davinci resolve 18 and 18.5many times, i always successfully download it but every time it doesn't works when I open it, and I delete the app and download it again and restart my pc but it still not working, and i read some of the message that you had suggest me last time and i still got no idea cuz I'm not really good at using computer lol.

And now i finish downloading the davinci resolve 18 and i don't know why this always happens even my friend can't solve this problem too,so would you mind to help me figure it out?Many thanks.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jul 06, 2023 2:11 am

and run CaptureLogs

Dwaine Maggart

rdjefferson

PostMon Jul 10, 2023 3:20 am

Hey Dwaine here is my logs file. I cannot start Davinci Resolve for nothing I dont have a vpn running,no firewall, nothing connected to laptop,tcp port scan. May you please help sir?---https://wetransfer.com/downloads/f09d0b17f97d167259c5253284ae830220230710031523/b7c16c83ae7c190829f82b44196fdbd820230710031523/ff722b?trk=TRN_TDL_01&utm_campaign=TRN_TDL_01&utm_medium=email&utm_source=sendgrid-

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jul 10, 2023 5:19 pm

Need a Windows System Information .NFO file. Open the Windows System Information app and select its File - Save menu to create the .NFO file.
Dwaine Maggart

rdjefferson

PostMon Jul 10, 2023 9:48 pm

Did what you instructed fairly easy. Still nothing at this time

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jul 12, 2023 6:03 pm

Can you send the .NFO file?
Dwaine Maggart

Fun&Done

PostFri Jul 14, 2023 9:27 pm

Hello blackmagic design support team, On June, 12 of this year, I wanted to edit a video just for fun. I moved my mouse towards the DaVinci app and double click on the icon, and waited for it to load, I saw the light blue circle but nothing appeared, I tried doing the same steps, still nothing. I went on to Youtube to find a way to fix my problem with DaVinci, found a video from Scott Fichter, used almost all of his method, and nothing worked. So now I'm here hopefully, you can figure out what went wrong with my DaVinvi app.

Here is my DaVinci Zip Folder:
https://free.mailbigfile.com/69feaef763 ... tFiles.php

Thank you

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jul 17, 2023 5:08 pm

Open the Windows System Information app and select its File - Save menu to create a .NFO file with the system info. Send us a link to the .NFO file.
Dwaine Maggart

Fun&Done

PostTue Jul 18, 2023 6:49 pm

Here is my "Windows System Information"
https://free.mailbigfile.com/e39df3d440 ... tFiles.php

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jul 19, 2023 4:30 pm

You've apparently had an NVIDIA GPU installed at some point, and the NVIDIA driver components are causing Resolve to crash during it's GPU detect process.

Use the DDU app to remove the NVIDIA driver. This forum thread describes the use of DDU. In this case to remove an Intel driver. Just select the NVIDIA GPU driver instead:

If Resolve still doesn't start after removing the NVIDIA driver, send a new Resolve log and NFO file.
Dwaine Maggart

louisstav

PostThu Jul 20, 2023 10:39 pm

Hi there,

I am having a similiar issue that Resolve won't start and I have tried to reinstall resolve multiple times.

Here is a link to my Windows System Information (.nfo) file below as advised for others in my situation.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-I6nXJ ... sp=sharing

Thank you so much in advance,
Louis

Fun&Done

PostFri Jul 21, 2023 12:29 pm

Hello again unfortunately my DaVinci did not work, I still have the same problem as before, I have followed the steps on the DDU website. Here are my folders

DaVinci Zip Folder: https://free.mailbigfile.com/426e646a09 ... tFiles.php

NFO File: https://free.mailbigfile.com/aa52c519ab ... tFiles.php

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jul 21, 2023 5:22 pm

@Jovani: You still have NVIDIA stuff on your system and it's still crashing Resolve. Are you sure you selected NVIDIA GPU when you ran DDU?

This is the specific file crashing Resolve:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_e34a87a86b660c23\nvcuda64.dll

If you can make that file disappear, that should solve the issue.
Dwaine Maggart

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jul 21, 2023 5:25 pm

@Louis: Indeed we need the NFO, thanks for that.

But we also need a Resolve log file.

and run CaptureLogs

Dwaine Maggart

bryantocara

PostFri Jul 21, 2023 7:52 pm

Unfortunately it's happened to me too... Resolve 18.5 won't start at all (the welcome/tour setup dialog happened and everything, but once that was done, nothing)... no Fairlight utility installed, just everything that I normally install.

Logs & NFO:
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AvUi4YmieEXOowUoC1V ... j?e=yXylvs

Kyashan

PostFri Jul 21, 2023 9:26 pm

Hello everyone...
Hi @Dwaine Maggart
I'm new to the forum :P

I have always used Adobe Premiere and I was thinking of switching to this new sw, in the Studio version. I downloaded the Free version to familiarize myself and understand if I am happy with it. I installed the program on a machine where I usually test but unfortunately DVR won't start. Happens what I read here: after the first start, after the welcome and a quick setup etc, the program does not start. The splash screen doesn't even appear. If I open the task manager, I see that the "Resolve.exe" executable appears in the list for a few seconds, then disappears.

The tests
- uninstall DVR (+delete all residual folders) > re-install DVR
- restart pc
- delete "Preferences" folder
- disable AV\FW (I use Kaspersky) + Windows Defender
- run as administrator
- create new windows user
- start DVR in "compatibility" mode
- uninstall the GPU drivers (also using the removal tool AMD official and also trying using "DDU")
- install the GPU drivers in "install only the drivers" mode for greater compatibility (before I had the "full install" version)

my PC cgf
Windows 10 Pro X64 (latest updates)
Latest stable version of DaVinci free 18.5.041
CPU: Intel i7 2600K
RAM: 16GB
STORAGE: SSD (OS\Apps) + HDD (files)
GPU: AMD FirePro W5100 4GB GDDR5 (Latest drivers available: Radeon™ Pro Software for Enterprise 21.Q2.1 dated 7/27/2021)

Curiosity
Tried booting windows in safe mode and starting DVR. The program starts but stops at the splashscreen with an OpenGL related message (see img: https://imgur.com/a/csmwzUg). I think because in safe mode it just load the generic graphics drivers with no libraries etc. I'm then forced to close SVR of course.

I enclose DVR LOG using CaptureLogs.bat > LINK FILE > https://is.gd/5H2BNN
NFO extracted from Windows System Information > LINK FILE > https://is.gd/h10V4Z

Thanks for everything!
Kyashan
PreviousNext

Return to DaVinci Resolve