Newbie to Resolve/Fusion, need help with something

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

RandyBrown

Newbie to Resolve/Fusion, need help with something

PostSun Jun 04, 2023 5:02 am

Though I've been editing video and creating motion graphics for years, I'm just now getting my feet wet with DaVincii Resolve, and I'm really just now starting to dip my toes in the Fusion water.

I produce a popular YouTube series that's now wrapping up its 7th season showcasing very talented youth bowlers in tournament competition. The show has quite a number of followers across America and around the world, and I've built it over the past seven years by adhering to the highest production standards that my abilities (and a production budget of zero) will allow. It's a one-man operation. I shoot it, I edit it, I do the graphics, I add the play-by-play at the end.

To date, I've been cutting the show on Final Cut Pro, and created most of the graphics, titles and transitions in Apple Motion so I could "publish" them in Final Cut Pro for use whenever I needed them. One of the meat-and-potatoes effects I use is a wipe transition like you would see on a network telecast of NFL football, where the network logo flies across the screen as it covers up a wipe from one clip to the next. And while I've seen numerous tutorials on YouTube aboout how to create a transition in Fusion that can be re-used again and again, nobody has put up a tutorial on how to create a BRANDED transition. Specifically in this case, a BRANDED WIPE. Obviously, this kind of transition would have to include certain media (in this case a logo, or the way I've done the show's logo, a character from a font set I've created)

I've exported a video (it's about 30-seconds long) to show you several examples of the kinds of branded wipes I've created in Apple Motion. Obviously, having these transitions published to Final Cut Pro will do me no good if I start editing the show in DaVinci Resolve. And my interest is quite keen in trying to move the show over to DaVinci Resolve (for a variety of reasons), possibly as soon as when Season 8 begins in September. But I can't seriously consider moving over to DaVinci Resolve unless and until I learn enough about Fusion to be able to reproduce these kinds of transitions in Fusion and have them ready and accessible when I start production on the new season this Fall.

Anybody willing to spend 30 seconds watching my video and then chiming in on how I might go about creating these in Fusion? (Hint: I have the show's logo as a FONT, which is what was needed inside Apple Motion to be able to give it a truly 3D appearance. But of course I have the vector art, too.

I'd like to have the flexibility to change the colors of the logo as needed with each use. (I have that now in FCP.)

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice.

Here's the link:

Randy Brown
Randy Brown
Overland Park, KS

Return to DaVinci Resolve