Weird render issue with a custom resolution

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

vuvzzz

Weird render issue with a custom resolution

PostTue Aug 25, 2020 10:56 am

Hi everyone,
So I got a weird issue on a very specific render resolution.
If I make a timeline with a 1111x1666 px resolution I can't render it, I always have this "frame width or height cannot be an odd number" error.
If I change a resolution even by one pixel for 1112x1666 - everything became normal.
Okay, why width can't be an odd number? Final Cut, for example, rendering this without any problem.
So there is a simple question - why I can't have an odd number on my timeline resolution and what if I need exactly this settings?
Any idea what's going on?

Hendrik Proosa

Re: Weird render issue with a custom resolution

PostTue Aug 25, 2020 11:01 am

Depends on codec, some codecs only support even pixel counts or ones divisible by 8 or 16
I do stuff

vuvzzz

PostTue Aug 25, 2020 11:07 am

Hendrik Proosa wrote:Depends on codec, some codecs only support even pixel counts or ones divisible by 8 or 16

Thanks for reply. Well I've tried lots of them and no luck. I am concerned that the FCX has no such problems with the same codecs

Jim Simon

PostTue Aug 25, 2020 3:03 pm

My best advise, use dimensions evenly divisible by 8.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Marcus Fliegel

PostThu Feb 18, 2021 10:48 am

I´ve had the same problem trying to render a series of slideshows in one project, all pics with different width & height, none were oddnumbered.

The failure to render occured under multiple codes - but only when i tried to render as "individual clips".

Didn´t happen when rendering the whole project as a single clip.

Dan Beddoe

PostSun Apr 25, 2021 7:13 pm

The only way round this I've found is to move all your images (JPEG, PNG etc) onto a new track. Disable the image track and export as indi clips like normal then export the just image track seperatly as TIFF, RGB 16 bits etc. This should get you round the export error and from experiance, make sure you tell Online that you've done this to save any wrong relinking further down the workflow.

krupasagars

PostWed Apr 13, 2022 12:04 pm

Found an unexpected solution.
Just try putting everything in a Compound Clip.
Nest the entire timeline into a Compound Clip, so that the timeline you're actually exporting has just one compound clip and nothing else.

That somehow fixed the export, where half an hour of fiddling with resolutions didn't.

sb4photos

PostMon Jun 05, 2023 6:08 am

hi. sis did anyone ever find a work around. i have a led 4541x896 and thats my timelines and yeh it wont export

brennanjbarsell

PostThu Sep 07, 2023 4:52 am

Dan Beddoe, you saved me hours of work on a project that had 100s of photos! Rendering those files as TIFFs and letting the online editor know is the best way to deal with odd-numbered-resolution photos, at least in a commercial workflow. If you’re trying to online in Resolve however this won’t work.

Joon Tervakari

PostMon Nov 27, 2023 10:28 am

This is strange. :? The same timeline that I have previously managed to export without problems at a resolution of 3840x1609 is complaining about the same thing now. In the meantime, only updates to Resolve have been made. So it has worked before fine. Now the export succeeded with 16:9 ratio. Fortunately this time it was not an important job.. I hope this will be fixed soon :|

Return to DaVinci Resolve