get subtitles rendered

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

pantau000

get subtitles rendered

PostTue Feb 28, 2023 7:27 pm

Is there any way to get subtitles rendered on a clip (not timeline) basis, "in place" or otherwise?

AssistantEditor1

Re: get subtitles rendered

PostTue Feb 28, 2023 10:10 pm

You mean burned in?

I don’t think so.

It’s a bit of a pain if you have a bunch of clips but you can just select the clip range with X and render in/out range from the deliver page with the burn in option turned on in the settings.

If anyone knows a way to batch this process please let us know

pantau000

PostTue Feb 28, 2023 10:14 pm

AssistantEditor1 wrote:It’s a bit of a pain if you have a bunch of clips but you can just select the clip range with X and render in/out range from the deliver page with the burn in option turned on in the settings.

Burn-in on the delivery page only works only for rendering what is on the timeline as a single file, but not as individual clips.

What I'm trying to do as a workaround is exporting the subtitles (in another program) as images, end import them as an EDL. Still doesn't work yet...

Andy Mees

PostTue Feb 28, 2023 10:21 pm

pantau000 wrote:What I'm trying to do as a workaround
Another option you could investigate is to export the whole subtitled timeline as single clip, plus export the same timeline as an EDL. Then bring that subtitled clip back in via the Media Page >> Media Storage >> Scene Cut Detection function, where you can generate the cuts automatically using the EDL.

AssistantEditor1

PostTue Feb 28, 2023 10:23 pm

burn-in on the delivery page only works only for rendering what is on the timeline as a single file, but not as individual clips.

What I'm trying to do as a workaround is exporting the subtitles (in another program) as images, end import them as an EDL. Still doesn't work yet...

Yep I get that.

What I do is leave the render mode to timeline but specify the in/out range to the length of the clip(s).

You can add a bunch of these ranges to the queue then render them out all at once.

Burn-in works in this case, but it’s not the most fast/elegant solution

pantau000

PostTue Feb 28, 2023 10:27 pm

Andy Mees wrote:
pantau000 wrote:What I'm trying to do as a workaround
Another option you could investigate is to export the whole subtitled timeline as single clip, plus export the same timeline as an EDL. Then bring that subtitled clip back in via the Media Page >> Media Storage >> Scene Cut Detection function, where you can generate the cuts automatically using the EDL.

I tried this. Scene cut does, however, not create individual media files. As I want to used the burnt-in subtitle files as proxies for the original files, I need physical individual files.

pantau000

PostTue Feb 28, 2023 10:29 pm

AssistantEditor1 wrote:
burn-in on the delivery page only works only for rendering what is on the timeline as a single file, but not as individual clips.

Yep I get that.

What I do is leave the render mode to timeline but specify the in/out range to the length of the clip(s).

You can add a bunch of these ranges to the queue then render them out all at once.

Thanks, now I understand. That's a possible workaround, maybe I can try to get this done by scripting.

AssistantEditor1

PostTue Feb 28, 2023 10:33 pm

pantau000 wrote:
AssistantEditor1 wrote:

Yep I get that.

Thanks, now I understand. That's a possible workaround, maybe I can try to get this done by scripting.

You would be my hero if you could automate this somehow! I found an old thread on this forum on the topic and BM’s rep said he couldn’t see the point of such a feature.

I believe his recommendation was to just use normal titles instead…

roger.magnusson

PostTue Feb 28, 2023 10:42 pm

I have been working on such a script for a while. I had the goal of retaining the timecode because that's something that's missing in Resolve when rendering individual clips with the "Render timeline effects" option enabled. Without timecode it's an easy script but it gets tricky with timecode and also the requirement of retaining the audio bus format configuration. One of those has to go I think.

AssistantEditor1

PostWed Mar 01, 2023 3:24 am

I can only speak for myself but I would be very interested in something like that, Roger!

pantau000

PostWed Mar 01, 2023 12:41 pm

roger.magnusson wrote:I have been working on such a script for a while. I had the goal of retaining the timecode because that's something that's missing in Resolve when rendering individual clips with the "Render timeline effects" option enabled. Without timecode it's an easy script but it gets tricky with timecode and also the requirement of retaining the audio bus format configuration. One of those has to go I think.

Retaining the source clips' timecode in my case would be essential, to be able to use the rendered clips as proxies for the original ones.

pantau000

PostWed Mar 01, 2023 12:45 pm

AssistantEditor1 wrote:You would be my hero if you could automate this somehow! I found an old thread on this forum on the topic and BM’s rep said he couldn’t see the point of such a feature.

In the meantime (Roger is probably more prone to be your hero in this case), you could subscribe to my feature request:

https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=176455

pantau000

PostThu Mar 02, 2023 3:13 pm

AssistantEditor1 wrote:What I do is leave the render mode to timeline but specify the in/out range to the length of the clip(s). You can add a bunch of these ranges to the queue then render them out all at once.

pantau000 wrote:What I'm trying to do as a workaround is exporting the subtitles (in another program) as images, end import them as an EDL. Still doesn't work yet...

That doesn't work either... I managed to import the subtitles as images files with an EDL, and place them on a separate track. But then, delivering this as individual clips, of course I get individual clips without subtitles, and other individual clips with only the subtitles. Render at place doesn't work either, as it doesn't renders the image files.

So your in/out point workaround seems to be the only solution in fact.

pantau000

PostThu Mar 02, 2023 6:17 pm

roger.magnusson wrote:I have been working on such a script for a while. I had the goal of retaining the timecode because that's something that's missing in Resolve when rendering individual clips with the "Render timeline effects" option enabled. Without timecode it's an easy script but it gets tricky with timecode and also the requirement of retaining the audio bus format configuration. One of those has to go I think.

What api function do you plan to use to render/deliver a clip/timeline?

roger.magnusson

PostThu Mar 02, 2023 7:38 pm

Conceptually something like this psuedo code:
Code: Select all
local job_ids = {}

for _, clip in ipairs(clips_to_render) do
   project:SetRenderSettings
   {
      MarkIn = clip.start_frame,
      MarkOut = clip.end_frame,
      TargetDir = path,
      CustomName = clip.filename,
   }

job_ids[#job_ids+1] = project:AddRenderJob()
end

project:StartRendering(job_ids)

That is, the clips_to_render table contains all the in/out marks (determined elsewhere) that's then fed to SetRenderSettings(). Then just add each render job and finally start them all. Before all that you can set a render preset with project:SetPreset(presetName) unless you want to render with the current settings.

pantau000

PostThu Mar 02, 2023 7:45 pm

roger.magnusson wrote:That is, the clips_to_render table contains all the in/out marks (determined elsewhere) that's then fed to SetRenderSettings(). Then just add each render job and finally start them all. Before all that you can set a render preset with project:SetPreset(presetName) unless you want to render with the current settings.

Sounds great. Maybe its better to limit this to one video track? Otherwise it would be necessary to find out which is the "visible" part of clip at a given point in time, and things would get very complex.

roger.magnusson

PostThu Mar 02, 2023 8:17 pm

Yes, the name of the script is Render by Guide Track. The user selects which track will determine the in/out points.

pantau000

PostFri May 05, 2023 6:04 pm

roger.magnusson wrote:Yes, the name of the script is Render by Guide Track. The user selects which track will determine the in/out points.

Hello Roger, have you found time to work on this already?

pantau000

PostFri Jun 09, 2023 12:46 am

I've forked one of Roger's scripts and used his suggestions in the following one. It renders individual clips in the "single file" mode. You have to be on the render page and all the settings have to be done there. Based on video track 1 of the timeline.

Not really tested yet.
Attachments
Deliver Individual Clips on Timeline.7z
(2.56 KiB) Downloaded 17 times

Roger Singh

PostSat Jul 08, 2023 2:19 pm

pantau000 wrote:I've forked one of Roger's scripts and used his suggestions in the following one. It renders individual clips in the "single file" mode. You have to be on the render page and all the settings have to be done there. Based on video track 1 of the timeline.

Not really tested yet.

Thank you for doing this, it works great for the most part. Is it at all possible to automatically set the timecode for each clip? In the File tab, there's a "Start timeline timecode at" section. I wonder if it's possible to pull the source timecode and fill in the box.

pantau000

PostSat Jul 08, 2023 4:11 pm

Roger Singh wrote:Thank you for doing this, it works great for the most part. Is it at all possible to automatically set the timecode for each clip? In the File tab, there's a "Start timeline timecode at" section. I wonder if it's possible to pull the source timecode and fill in the box.

Unfortunately that doesn't work, but see the workaround here:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=178542

Return to DaVinci Resolve