Samsung S23 Ultra MP4 file "Media Offline"

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Andrew G

Samsung S23 Ultra MP4 file "Media Offline"

PostFri Jun 09, 2023 1:07 pm

I'm trying to colourise an MP4 file from my Samsung S23 Ultra. The file is a hyperlapse which I think might be part of the problem. I'm not sure DaVinci (v18.1.4) knows what to do with it.

It has no problem launching other MP4 files from GoPro footage and the like, but I just tested it with other MP4 captures from my new phone and DVR doesn't like it.

Would this be a codec problem, or something else that DVR needs to be updated with?

Andrew G

Re: Samsung S23 Ultra MP4 file "Media Offline"

PostFri Jun 09, 2023 1:47 pm

I downloaded MediaInfo to check out the file specs to see if there was any special type of encoding, but nothing seems out of the ordinary, or at least, not unsupported in free DVR anyway.

Video
ID : 1
Format : HEVC
Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile : Main@L5@High
Codec ID : hvc1
Codec ID/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Duration : 49 s 300 ms
Bit rate : 48.3 Mb/s
Width : 3 840 pixels
Height : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 30.000 FPS
Real frame rate : 30.000 FPS
Standard : PAL
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.194
Stream size : 284 MiB (100%)
Title : VideoHandle
Language : English
Encoded date : 2023-06-09 11:56:11 UTC
Tagged date : 2023-06-09 11:56:11 UTC
Color range : Limited
Color primaries : BT.709
Transfer characteristics : BT.709
Matrix coefficients : BT.709
Codec configuration box : hvcC

kfriis

PostFri Jun 09, 2023 3:04 pm

Andrew G wrote:I downloaded MediaInfo to check out the file specs to see if there was any special type of encoding, but nothing seems out of the ordinary, or at least, not unsupported in free DVR anyway.

Video
ID : 1
Format : HEVC
Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile : Main@L5@High
Codec ID : hvc1
Codec ID/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Duration : 49 s 300 ms
Bit rate : 48.3 Mb/s
Width : 3 840 pixels
Height : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 30.000 FPS
Real frame rate : 30.000 FPS
Standard : PAL
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.194
Stream size : 284 MiB (100%)
Title : VideoHandle
Language : English
Encoded date : 2023-06-09 11:56:11 UTC
Tagged date : 2023-06-09 11:56:11 UTC
Color range : Limited
Color primaries : BT.709
Transfer characteristics : BT.709
Matrix coefficients : BT.709
Codec configuration box : hvcC

Can you post a link to the actual MP4 file?

The MediaInfo file looks kosher enough, but why only BT.709 and 8-bit 4:2:0 on UHD? And how did the phone decide “Standard: PAL” and 30 fps constant (that’s a bit unusual for Samsung, but maybe they’re trying to up their ways these days).

Have you tried creating a new project, with the exact specs from the file, and then create a timeline with the imported file?

How did you create the hyperlapse file? That may help explaining the case, and ease solving the problem.

Regards

xunile

PostFri Jun 09, 2023 3:09 pm

You can try downloading the HEVC codec from the Microsoft store, or you can also try transcoding it to h.264 in something like Handbrake.
Win 10 Home | Intel i7 - 10700f 64 GB 1 TB GB SSD 2 TB SSD
RTX-3060 12 GB | Resolve Studio 18.6.6| Fusion Studio 18.6.6

Win 10 Home | Intel Core I7-7700HQ 32 GB 1 TB NVME SSD 1 TB SATA SSD
GTX-1060-6GB | Resolve 17.4.6

Andrew G

PostFri Jun 09, 2023 4:15 pm

kfriis wrote:Can you post a link to the actual MP4 file?

The MediaInfo file looks kosher enough, but why only BT.709 and 8-bit 4:2:0 on UHD? And how did the phone decide “Standard: PAL” and 30 fps constant (that’s a bit unusual for Samsung, but maybe they’re trying to up their ways these days).

Have you tried creating a new project, with the exact specs from the file, and then create a timeline with the imported file?

How did you create the hyperlapse file? That may help explaining the case, and ease solving the problem.

Regards

It's in PAL because I'm in Australia, but the 30FPS (over 25 or 50FPS which is the norm here), I've no idea about.

I'm going to start from scratch on a new project to see if that helps though, but I'm not holding my breath.
Hyperlapse is a video option on the camera setting (as is RAW shooting), but the option in which you can setup the hyperlapse seem to be fairly limited. I haven't gone into it all that far yet, but from what I've seen about the options for it, there doesn't seem to be much to go into.

There's not much you can adjust in the settings besides FHD and UHD resolutions, adjusting lapse duration and shooting mode (day lapse, night lapse star trails, etc.) but for the purpose of this shoot, it was on the star trails mode ("300x") without the star trails being on. I just wanted to bring out some colour in the galaxy as it went overhead.

kfriis

PostFri Jun 09, 2023 5:09 pm

Andrew G wrote:
kfriis wrote:Can you post a link to the actual MP4 file?

Regards

It's in PAL because I'm in Australia, but the 30FPS (over 25 or 50FPS which is the norm here), I've no idea about.

I'm going to start from scratch on a new project to see if that helps though, but I'm not holding my breath.
Hyperlapse is a video option on the camera setting (as is RAW shooting), but the option in which you can setup the hyperlapse seem to be fairly limited. I haven't gone into it all that far yet, but from what I've seen about the options for it, there doesn't seem to be much to go into.

There's not much you can adjust in the settings besides FHD and UHD resolutions, adjusting lapse duration and shooting mode (day lapse, night lapse star trails, etc.) but for the purpose of this shoot, it was on the star trails mode ("300x") without the star trails being on. I just wanted to bring out some colour in the galaxy as it went overhead.

If there’s still a problem. Give usca link to a.share on Google Drive or OneDrive.

Rhen I’ll try on both FCPX and Resolve Studio amd if required, split the file in ffmpeg to see, ifvthis fails too.

How did you get the file out of your phone to what operating system and Machine type?

Regards

Andrew G

PostFri Jun 09, 2023 5:54 pm

kfriis wrote:If there’s still a problem. Give usca link to a.share on Google Drive or OneDrive.

Rhen I’ll try on both FCPX and Resolve Studio amd if required, split the file in ffmpeg to see, ifvthis fails too.

How did you get the file out of your phone to what operating system and Machine type?

Regards

I just accessed the phone the usual way (USB-C cable) through my PC (Win10) and offloaded it there.

So I tried recreating the timeline with the specs that the video offers (UHD 4K, 30FPS, 8bit, etc.) but still no shot [Media Offline].

I've uploaded the file to Drive, and shared it with the name given.

Andrew G

PostFri Jun 09, 2023 6:50 pm

xunile wrote:You can try downloading the HEVC codec from the Microsoft store, or you can also try transcoding it to h.264 in something like Handbrake.

I'm already up-to-date with my k-lite codec packs which should suffice for this kind of video. I mean if VLC Player can use it, I'm not sure why DVR can't.

kfriis

PostFri Jun 09, 2023 7:22 pm

When I quote any of your previous last two post, Blackmagic Forum software complains about an illegal SQL statement.

Skærmbillede 2023-06-09 kl. 21.19.06.png
Error message from Black Magic Forum.
Skærmbillede 2023-06-09 kl. 21.19.06.png (84.61 KiB) Viewed 2409 times

I can't see any share specification, but I suspect, what you have done, and you never ever share data that way.

Don’t share directly. Go into eg Google Drive. Upload file. Click on file, select share, and follow instruktions. Copy the link to your texteditor/word whatever, and then share the link here without allowing anyone to edit content.

No “direct shares”, unless you’re a trained admin; and then you wouldn’t do it or risk getting fired

Regards

P.S. I understand, that you do your best. We’ve all had to start somewhere. Luckily for me, you don't knop, what I did when I started out making the networks unsafe(not even internet "in them oldern days")

Andrew G

PostFri Jun 09, 2023 7:29 pm

kfriis wrote:When I quote any of your previous last two post, Blackmagic Forum software complains about an illegal SQL statement.

I can't see any share specification, but I suspect, what you have done, and you never ever share data that way.

Don’t share directly. Go into eg Google Drive. Upload file. Click on file, select share, and follow instruktions. Copy the link to your texteditor/word whatever, and then share the link here without allowing anyone to edit content.

No “direct shares”, unless you’re a trained admin; and then you wouldn’t do it or risk getting fired

Regards

P.S. I understand, that you do your best. We’ve all had to start somewhere. Luckily for me, you don't knop, what I did when I started out making the networks unsafe(not even internet "in them oldern days")

I hardly ever use Google Drive and it's been years since I used it last, so I'm quite out of practice.

Here's the link (which seems to work in the preview anyway)...
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zKCEb2 ... sp=sharing

kfriis

PostFri Jun 09, 2023 7:32 pm

Andrew G wrote:
kfriis wrote:When I quote any of your previous last two post, Blackmagic Forum software complains about an illegal SQL statement.

Regards

I hardly ever use Google Drive and it's been years since I used it last, so I'm quite out of practice.

Downloaded. I'll see, what happens, when I look into the details.

Don't expect an answer today (currently UTC+2 21:33 where I live).

Regards

raptor22

PostFri Jun 09, 2023 7:41 pm

Andrew G wrote:

Regards

working for me at least

kfriis

PostFri Jun 09, 2023 7:45 pm

raptor22 wrote:
Andrew G wrote:

Regards

working for me at least

Just a quick response: Played (after scanning for nasties in the file ;-) from get go in QuickTime.

Rest will be tested tomorrow, but you deserve a positive answer right away.

G'night!

Uli Plank

PostSat Jun 10, 2023 2:20 am

Works perfectly fine here. Since you using the free version on a PC, that might be the issue. But I'm wondering, since it's only 8 bit an 4:2:0.
If you don't need such footage regularly, just transcode to DNxHR or Cineform.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Andrew G

PostSat Jun 10, 2023 4:01 am

Well I'm glad it does work in DVR, so that makes it a 'me' issue.
Uli Plank wrote:Works perfectly fine here. Since you using the free version on a PC, that might be the issue. But I'm wondering, since it's only 8 bit an 4:2:0.
If you don't need such footage regularly, just transcode to DNxHR or Cineform.

I'm still new to the intricacies of all DVR offers, can you give me a rundown on where to find those options so I can try it?

Thanks to all for helping so far.

Alex Silva

PostSat Jun 10, 2023 4:47 am

No problems here 17.4.6 version free. Laptop 5800H 25% Nvidia 3060 25%

Uli Plank

PostSat Jun 10, 2023 4:50 am

For transcoding, use Shutter Encoder (donationware) and choose the container (e.g. mov) and codec for output.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

raptor22

PostSat Jun 10, 2023 5:44 am

Uli Plank wrote:For transcoding, use Shutter Encoder (donationware) and choose the container (e.g. mov) and codec for output.

doesn't the Handbrake helps?

Andrew G

PostSat Jun 10, 2023 6:08 am

Ok so I did eventually get it to work. Still not sure on what the catalyst for making it work was, but maybe someone with a bit more video/encoding nous can assist...

I ran it through Handbrake with the original Preset setting of Very Fast 2160p60 4K HEVC (modified to 30FPS) and encoded with "H/264 (x.264)" which is what it was originally set at, but initially didn't work.
I then went into the Filters tab and changed the Colourspace from Auto to BT.709 to match the file settings. In the Video tab, asides the Video Encoder dropdown, I left everything else as standard (ie. how the program saw the file), no encoder tune/profile/level adjustments, etc.)

I'm still not sure if this was the catalyst to get it to work in DVR eventually, but it's working for now. Just seems like a really strange situation where Auto didn't work and specifying two options did. :roll:

Uli Plank

PostSat Jun 10, 2023 7:03 am

raptor22 wrote:doesn't the Handbrake helps?

Encoding twice into a massive GOP compression is not good for the quality. But if the computer is fast enough (or has hardware decoders), one can use high bitrate I-frame only.

kfriis

PostSat Jun 10, 2023 9:43 am

Downloaded the free version 18.1.4 and installed on a fully updated Asus Windows 10 notebook.

Started a new project and timeline and imported the file from the Samsung. When asked, I allowed DaVinci to change the framerate of my project.

Moved media into Video 1 (creating a timeline) in Edit Mode.

Playback works from get-go!

Maybe you need to visit the Microsoft Shop. Windows 10 does NOT support HEVC or HEIF without loading specific support for the formats (can’t remember, if the cost money, but if so it should be around 1+ EUR, 1.5+ AUD or so plus taxes)

The HEVC will be required, and since Samsung S23 Ultra really starts to shine, when also supporting HEIF, I recommend downloading that too (if not included in paying for HEVC):

Skærmbillede 2023-06-10 kl. 11.18.31.png
HEVC and HEIF support from Microsoft Shop
Skærmbillede 2023-06-10 kl. 11.18.31.png (54.13 KiB) Viewed 2159 times

Depending on your use case, also download RAW support (removes a lot of problems in day to day use):

Skærmbillede 2023-06-10 kl. 11.20.54.png
RAW file support from Microsoft Shop
Skærmbillede 2023-06-10 kl. 11.20.54.png (31.05 KiB) Viewed 2159 times

They have been present on my Windows machine for years, so I never notice this Windows quirk in daily use.

Regards

Andrew G

PostSat Jun 10, 2023 9:52 am

kfriis wrote:Downloaded the free version 18.1.4 and installed on a fully updated Asus Windows 10 notebook.

Started a new project and timeline and imported the file from the Samsung. When asked, I allowed DaVinci to change the framerate of my project.

Maybe you need to visit the Microsoft Shop. Windows 10 does NOT support HEVC or HEIF without loading specific support for the formats (can’t remember, if the cost money, but if so it should be around 1+ EUR, 1.5+ AUD or so plus taxes)

The HEVC will be required, and since Samsung S23 Ultra really starts to shine, when also supporting HEIF, I recommend downloading that too...

Are you certain those codecs and whatnot aren't already in the k-lite patches that I download monthly? They're usually very comprehensive.

kfriis

PostSat Jun 10, 2023 9:57 am

Andrew G wrote:
kfriis wrote:Downloaded the free version 18.1.4 and installed on a fully updated Asus Windows 10 notebook.

The HEVC will be required, and since Samsung S23 Ultra really starts to shine, when also supporting HEIF, I recommend downloading that too...

Are you certain those codecs and whatnot aren't already in the k-lite patches that I download monthly? They're usually very comprehensive.

Frankly: How would I know (I didn’t even know, that something like k-Lite exists ;-), but if they cost money, and are not specifically included, I would be surprised, if Microsoft forgets about even one cent of income.

Go into the Microsoft Shop, and check the libraries. Then you know, if they are installed, and also if they need updating (with everything else from Microsoft Shop).

Regards

Andrew G

PostSat Jun 10, 2023 10:58 am

I'm rather disappointed that MS charge for something that should be included in Win10, and all the 1-star reviews aren't just unhappy with being charged for the app, but the hit-and-miss nature of it working (or not).

I've been using K-Lite for years, and I know they include a HEVC decoder in their packs, but now I'm scratching my head because it should be working in DVR. I'll come back to this after I take a closer look at the latest pack I downloaded and see if it's working as intended on my system.

So I can't find anything that shouldn't prevent me from using the mp4 files from my phone in DVR as normal. All the codecs in the K-Lite pack (32 and 64 bit) are as they should be, and preferences in the codec tweak tool favour "use MERIT (recommended)" over "Microsoft" or "LAV".
Last edited by Andrew G on Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

kfriis

PostSat Jun 10, 2023 11:25 am

Andrew G wrote:I'm rather disappointed that MS charge for something that should be included in Win10, and all the 1-star reviews aren't just unhappy with being charged for the app, but the hit-and-miss nature of it working (or not).

I've been using K-Lite for years, and I know they include a HEVC decoder in their packs, but now I'm scratching my head because it should be working in DVR. I'll come back to this after I take a closer look at the latest pack I downloaded and see if it's working as intended on my system.

So I can't find anything that shouldn't prevent me from using the mp4 files from my phone in DVR as normal. All the codecs in the K-Lite pack (32 and 64 bit) are as they should be, and preferences in the codec tweak tool favour "use MERIT (recommended)" over "Microsoft" or "LAV".

It really doesn't matter, if DaVinci Resolve expects the Microsoft Version of HEVC to work as intended.

Regards

P.S. Don't fight reality. The HEVC works. It's been "alive" and maintained by Microsoft since the early days by Microsoft. Who knows, what the people use as source material, if they complain?

Uli Plank

PostSun Jun 11, 2023 3:37 am

I'm not sure BM is still using external codec packs these days.
At least for .mov every NLE dropped those long ago.

Do yourself a favour and get Studio, it's worth it for many reasons.

kfriis

PostSun Jun 11, 2023 6:14 am

Uli Plank wrote:I'm not sure BM is still using external codec packs these days.
At least for .mov every NLE dropped those long ago.

Do yourself a favour and get Studio, it's worth it for many reasons.

The free version works with the Microsoft HEVC codec installed in Windows 10. That”s not a problem. The poster objects to paying (0.99 USD or local price including tax) for the privilege. His privilege, but that’s not a problem with the free version.

I tested his file on a newly downloaded and installed DaVinchi free version on an oldish Asus i7 16GB, 1TB SSD Windows 10 Machine (see viewtopic.php?f=21&t=182793#p955699).

I can understand, that an ordinary smartphone user cannot justify paying for a fully licensed version of DaVinchi, but… Not my problem anymore ;-)

Regards

Uli Plank

PostSun Jun 11, 2023 6:46 am

The owner of a S 23, after all ;-)

kfriis

PostSun Jun 11, 2023 10:31 am

Uli Plank wrote:The owner of a S 23, after all ;-)

I could easily see myself buy a Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra, as a replacement for my current Galaxy Note10+. The 512GB Ultra has some usable features, and currently is discounten up to the Tune of 20-30% depending on reseller. The best part is “backup”.

My old Note10+ (also 512GB) easily “digests” 256GB from my 256GB UHSII cards with a speed of 200-250 MB/sec from my old (short built-in cable, small, flat) SanDisk dedicated UHSII SD card Reader. On walkabouts and travels in “suspect surroundings - especially in rich people quarters” ;-) it’s nice to have a “running backup”, should my LUMIX S5 or Canon EOS 90D suddenly switch owner or decide to go overboard on a ferry.

Even good, tested memory cards from reputable manufacturers give up serving bits from time to time in any odd place without prior permission given (I’ve had a few cases, since my first in Singapore in 2007, that nearly cost… taught me a lot really quick ;-)

Aaand sometimes it really is down to smartphone or no image/video, when the unexpected turns up (or camera battery is flat, or your Canon DSLR displays the feared Error 99 or… or…)

If the next iPhone 15 Pro something-or-other turns up in EU and other region specific models, demanding Apple cables to deliver high transfer speed in addition to charging over USB-C, my iPhone 12 Pro will be the last iPhone. I’m not letting Apple decide, that my perfectly good Thunderbolt certified cables - accepted by my MacBook Pro with Apple Silicon - are not to be used to the maximum potential with next gen Apple iPhone.

I wouldn’t put it past Apple to try that approach!

Regards

Return to DaVinci Resolve