100% CPU usage only occurs with Adrenalin Software.

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Mihai.P

100% CPU usage only occurs with Adrenalin Software.

PostMon Jun 05, 2023 1:13 pm

Due to a problem that became very frustrating, I finally decided to post, hoping it will be resolved. Or at least I will find out who the culprit is. AMD or Blackmagic.
Although the problem of the processor staying at 100% during playback from the timeline has been discussed in the past, my problem is a little different.

Recently, I purchased an AsRock Desk Mini x300 mini PC, to which I installed a Ryzen 5 PRO 3350G processor with an integrated Vega 11 graphics , 32 GB of RAM, and a 1 TB SSD.
With the driver provided for download from the ASRock website (AMD driver version v21.30.14.210826a), the free version of Davinci Resolve runs flawlessly. The processor reaches a maximum usage of 40% during video editing, and the RAM usage remains at a maximum of 10 GB. The graphics card runs at a maximum of 20% throughout this process.

However, if I install any other AMD driver newer than the version provided by ASRock, the processor usage goes up to 100%. This happens even if there are only simple pictures in the timeline, without any video footage. I have tried all the drivers, including the latest Adrenalin 23.5.2 driver.

I simply don't understand what could be the issue. Why does everything work perfectly fine with the driver provided by ASRock, but with all the newer drivers, the processor goes up to 100% when I use Davinci Resolve? This happens even when the timeline only contains images, without any video. What is even stranger.
I apologize if there are any grammatical errors. English is not my native language.
Last edited by Mihai.P on Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mihai.P

Re: 100% CPU usage ONLY occurs with Adrenalin editions

PostTue Jun 06, 2023 12:05 pm

Today, a friend came with his dongle for davinci studio, to be able to test this version on my PC.
Same symptoms with this Studio version. The processor goes up to 100% even when I record voice over in Fairlight, without videos in the timeline, images, etc. Exclusive, voice recording only.

The only driver that makes Davinci work perfectly is, as I said before, the version offered for download on the AsRock website (AMD driver version v21.30.14.210826a). Any other driver newer than this version causes the processor to go up to 100%. Except for the graphics card, absolutely all drivers are up to date, including windows 11 pro. Any other installed software works perfectly. so it's not a problem with the pc components.

Davinci is the only software that manages to drive the processor crazy. Last week I was on the verge of purchasing the Davinci Studio version with dongle from the Thomann store. Now I tend to think that I did a good thing by postponing the purchase.

VMFXBV

Re: 100% CPU usage only occurs with Adrenalin driver edition

PostTue Jun 06, 2023 4:54 pm

Have you installed the chipset drivers as well?

Afaik Adrenalin doesn't contain these, while the ones you download from ASrock might.
AMD Ryzen 5800X3D
AMD Radeon 7900XTX
Ursa Mini 4.6K
Pocket 4K

Mihai.P

PostTue Jun 06, 2023 5:33 pm

VMFXBV wrote:Have you installed the chipset drivers as well?

Afaik Adrenalin doesn't contain these, while the ones you download from ASrock might.

I installed the latest version of Adrenalin along with the latest version of the chipset driver. Same problem. I loaded some images into the timeline, pressed play, and the processor went to space. I reinstalled the driver version available on the AsRock website, and everything works perfectly. 10-20% CPU usage when l load and play only images in timeline. This issue is literally giving me gray hair.

I'm trying to get rid of my Premiere subscription, but it seems that in the end, for those 25 euros paid monthly, at least everything works, and I don't bother myself, focusing on my work.
And what's even stranger is that even on my old laptop, an HP Probook 450 with an Intel i5 Gen4 processor and only 16GB of RAM, DaVinci runs smoothly.

VMFXBV

PostThu Jun 08, 2023 4:37 am

Could be that ASRock does something different with the drivers for their mobos.

If that driver works I'd just stick with it and not think about it.
AMD Ryzen 5800X3D
AMD Radeon 7900XTX
Ursa Mini 4.6K
Pocket 4K

Mihai.P

PostFri Jun 09, 2023 4:00 pm

VMFXBV wrote:Could be that ASRock does something different with the drivers for their mobos.

I'm coming back with a possible solution to the problem. It seems that AMD drivers delivered through Windows Update work without any issues. I uninstalled all the graphics drivers and let Windows install whatever it wanted. For example, the driver delivered by Windows Update is version 31.0.12027.9001 from 3/30/2023, so it's a very recent driver. I wonder why these new drivers from Windows, work perfectly with DaVinci Resolve, while the ones downloaded from the official AMD website are completely unusable with DaVinci, causing the processor to go up to 100%. The only disadvantage with Windows AMD drivers is that these do not include the proprietary AMD Adrenalin software, which allows you to adjust various settings. But if I think about it, maybe it's the software itself that's causing the problem. Who knows..

VMFXBV

PostFri Jun 09, 2023 4:57 pm

Mihai.P wrote:
VMFXBV wrote:Could be that ASRock does something different with the drivers for their mobos.

I'm coming back with a possible solution to the problem. It seems that AMD drivers delivered through Windows Update work without any issues. I uninstalled all the graphics drivers and let Windows install whatever it wanted. For example, the driver delivered by Windows Update is version 31.0.12027.9001 from 3/30/2023, so it's a very recent driver. I wonder why these new drivers from Windows, work perfectly with DaVinci Resolve, while the ones downloaded from the official AMD website are completely unusable with DaVinci, causing the processor to go up to 100%. The only disadvantage with Windows AMD drivers is that these do not include the proprietary AMD Adrenalin software, which allows you to adjust various settings. But if I think about it, maybe it's the software itself that's causing the problem. Who knows..

You can install the driver without Adrenalin. I think there's an option during setup called basic or something similar. Many people do that. You can also do it manually, after extracting the pack in C:\AMD and update it via Device Manager.

For me, its exactly the opposite with Windows drivers. Whenever Windows installs that version it breaks Resolve so I have to DDU and reinstall the official drivers.
AMD Ryzen 5800X3D
AMD Radeon 7900XTX
Ursa Mini 4.6K
Pocket 4K

Mihai.P

PostFri Jun 09, 2023 5:36 pm

VMFXBV wrote:
You can install the driver without Adrenalin. I think there's an option during setup called basic or something similar. Many people do that. You can also do it manually, after extracting the pack in C:\AMD and update it via Device Manager.

For me, its exactly the opposite with Windows drivers. Whenever Windows installs that version it breaks Resolve so I have to DDU and reinstall the official drivers.

I don't know how to thank you for the tip :D I downloaded the latest version of AMD Adrenalin 23.5.1 from the official AMD website and chose to install it through the "update driver" option in Device Manager to make sure it only installs the driver and nothing else. And guess what? It works! With the latest driver, I can finally run DaVinci Resolve without any problems. I was really out of options. So it seems that that garbage proprietary software, Adrenalin, was the cause of the issue all along. With a driver-only installation, all these problems have disappeared. Thank you once again!

VMFXBV

PostFri Jun 09, 2023 6:25 pm

Mihai.P wrote: So it seems that that garbage proprietary software, Adrenalin, was the cause of the issue all along. With a driver-only installation, all these problems have disappeared. Thank you once again!

Adrenalin works ok on my system. It could be that something is wrong with the combo of that CPU/iGPU and Adrenalin.

One culprit could be if you opted in during install for the AMD User Experience option. That thing sends a lot of data and could be why the CPU spiked to 100%.

Some stuff is bloatware, I agree, but the auto undervolt and auto oc options are quite nice.
AMD Ryzen 5800X3D
AMD Radeon 7900XTX
Ursa Mini 4.6K
Pocket 4K

Mihai.P

Re: 100% CPU usage only occurs with Adrenalin Software.

PostSat Jun 10, 2023 2:03 pm

It seems that I got excited for nothing and spoke too soon, saying that the problem was resolved. Today, when I started Davinci, the processor usage went back up to 100%. Even though it worked perfectly yesterday. I went back to the Device Manager and selected "Roll back driver" to revert to the driver provided through Windows Update. I did that, and now I'm getting the error: "Unsupported GPU Processing Mode." All this is stressing me out...I am losing my patience completely.

VMFXBV

PostSat Jun 10, 2023 2:36 pm

Mihai.P wrote:It seems that I got excited for nothing and spoke too soon, saying that the problem was resolved. Today, when I started Davinci, the processor usage went back up to 100%. Even though it worked perfectly yesterday. I went back to the Device Manager and selected "Roll back driver" to revert to the driver provided through Windows Update. I did that, and now I'm getting the error: "Unsupported GPU Processing Mode." All this is stressing me out...I am losing my patience completely.

I would DDU in safe mode and remove all traces of all amd drivers and then reinstall the latest driver with the internet off to prevent Windows installing its stuff. I think you updated too many versions and things got messed up.

I would then look at what exactly could cause the spike to 100%. What resolution are the pictures you are using on the timeline? Have you tried with footage only and see what happens?
AMD Ryzen 5800X3D
AMD Radeon 7900XTX
Ursa Mini 4.6K
Pocket 4K

Mihai.P

PostSat Jun 10, 2023 2:54 pm

For now, I managed to install the old driver from the AsRock website. And now the processor is working fine. It's at around 10-20% CPU usage when recording in Fairlight, 20-30% when playing images in the timeline, and 30-40% when working with video materials without any effects or additional elements added to the timeline.

I have tried various resolutions - large, small, different image formats. I have also downloaded images from the internet. The same problem occurs. When I upload them to the timeline and press Play, the processor instantly jumps to 100%. I have tried the same thing with video materials. I have experimented with different resolutions and video formats. When I upload them to the timeline and press Play, the processor goes up to 100%. The exact same thing happens when I enter Fairlight and press REC to record a voiceover. During the recording, the processor reaches 100%.

I would have tried running Davinci on Linux, but from what I have seen, there are limitations in the Linux versions when it comes to H.264 and H.265.

VMFXBV

PostSat Jun 10, 2023 3:08 pm

Mihai.P wrote:For now, I managed to install the old driver from the AsRock website.

If you decide to try again in the future, I would DDU everything. Something somewhere gets in conflict.
This is why its advisable to do a clean-up of old drivers before updating the new ones.

After one of those wonderful Windows auto updates, the start button stopped working with certain drivers.
Only a fresh install fixed it.
AMD Ryzen 5800X3D
AMD Radeon 7900XTX
Ursa Mini 4.6K
Pocket 4K

Mihai.P

PostSat Jun 10, 2023 3:20 pm

When you say DDU, are you referring to Display Driver Uninstaller Software? If so, then it needs to be run in Safe Mode from what I understand. I'm going to try that right now. This issue has been bothering me because I don't understand what the cause is. My PC, whether it's AMD or Davinci.

VMFXBV

PostSat Jun 10, 2023 3:22 pm

Mihai.P wrote:When you say DDU, are you referring to Display Driver Uninstaller Software? If so, then it needs to be run in Safe Mode from what I understand. I'm going to try that right now. This issue has been bothering me because I don't understand what the cause is. My PC, whether it's AMD or Davinci.

Yes. And when you install the new drivers, install them with the internet shut off to prevent Windows Update messing it up.
AMD Ryzen 5800X3D
AMD Radeon 7900XTX
Ursa Mini 4.6K
Pocket 4K

Mihai.P

PostSat Jun 10, 2023 4:39 pm

So.. I downloaded DDU, opened it in Safe Mode, and deleted any trace of previously installed drivers. I also selected the option to prevent Windows from installing anything on startup.With the internet turned off i installed the latest AMD driver, version 23.5.1, and installed it normally, but the processor continues to run at 100%. After that, I went back into safe mode, deleted everything again, and then installed the AMD driver using the "Update driver"option from Device Manager, just like I did yesterday, without the Adrenalin software. But surprisingly, it didn't work either. The processor still reaches 100% even without the Adrenalin software installed. Ironically, it worked like this yesterday, but not today. The only option left for me is to install the driver from the AsRock website, which works fine. I'm starting to believe that Windows is to blame. I even activated the "Prevent installation of devices that match any of this device IDs" option in Edit Group Policy.

VMFXBV

PostSat Jun 10, 2023 4:47 pm

Mihai.P wrote:So.. I downloaded DDU, opened it in Safe Mode, and deleted any trace of previously installed drivers. I also selected the option to prevent Windows from installing anything on startup.With the internet turned off i installed the latest AMD driver, version 23.5.1, and installed it normally, but the processor continues to run at 100%. After that, I went back into safe mode, deleted everything again, and then installed the AMD driver using the "Update driver"option from Device Manager, just like I did yesterday, without the Adrenalin software. But surprisingly, it didn't work either. The processor still reaches 100% even without the Adrenalin software installed. Ironically, it worked like this yesterday, but not today. The only option left for me is to install the driver from the AsRock website, which works fine. I'm starting to believe that Windows is to blame. I even activated the "Prevent installation of devices that match any of this device IDs" option in Edit Group Policy.

One last hail mary. Do you have fast boot / fast startup enabled? Try disabling it from power management and restart your computer.

Also, have you tried a different version of Resolve?

If nothing works then settle on the ASRock driver. You're not really missing anything with the new drivers. I have a Radeon VII (Vega 2) in one of my machines and the new drivers don't bring anything new performance wise.

Other stuff you can do is post logs of what's happening within Resolve so that the BM team can hopefully take a look at it. There are FAQs on how to do that around the forum.
AMD Ryzen 5800X3D
AMD Radeon 7900XTX
Ursa Mini 4.6K
Pocket 4K

Mihai.P

PostSat Jun 10, 2023 5:08 pm

I have disabled fast startup. After resetting my PC, unfortunately, there was no improvement. Regarding trying other versions of Resolve, yes, I have tested the Studio version with a dongle from a friend. I have tested the current version and version 17.4.6. All versions exhibit the same symptom. I will read what I need to do exactly to post the logs. I will read the FAQ. Thank you very much again for your time and for trying to solve this strange issue.

VMFXBV

PostSat Jun 10, 2023 5:10 pm

Mihai.P wrote:I have disabled fast startup. After resetting my PC, unfortunately, there was no improvement. Regarding trying other versions of Resolve, yes, I have tested the Studio version with a dongle from a friend. I have tested the current version and version 17.4.6. All versions exhibit the same symptom. I will read what I need to do exactly to post the logs. I will read the FAQ. Thank you very much again for your time and for trying to solve this strange issue.

Yeah I'm running out of ideas. Reinstall Windows...would be my last choice.

Maybe ASRock does something specific with the drivers for their Desk Mini that is not available on the regular update...
AMD Ryzen 5800X3D
AMD Radeon 7900XTX
Ursa Mini 4.6K
Pocket 4K

Mihai.P

PostSat Jun 10, 2023 5:17 pm

I am attaching an image depicting the moment when the processor approaches 100% usage. As can be seen, there are only 5 images loaded in the timeline. The graph illustrates the processor's status prior to pressing Play. Regarding the reinstallation of Windows, I have already done that. I even installed Windows 10, thinking that Windows 11 has something specific. I have Windows 11 PRO with an official license. No strange versions from torrents.
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (714.16 KiB) Viewed 802 times
Last edited by Mihai.P on Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mihai.P

PostSat Jun 10, 2023 5:46 pm

Here's another image that highlights how little the processor is utilized in conjunction with the AMD driver provided by AsRock. Same images.
Attachments
dddd.png
dddd.png (680.43 KiB) Viewed 777 times

Return to DaVinci Resolve