Scrub through clip in Edit timeline

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Cinedon

Scrub through clip in Edit timeline

PostWed Sep 20, 2023 8:48 am

Hi everyone,

I have a question I've been googling and youtubing, but can't find the answer to. (Maybe my search terms are incorrect.)

So basically, I have clips that are set on my timeline in my "Edit" tab. One particular clip that is there is already cut to the size it needs to be perfectly, but in this scenario the In and Out point are just not where they should be.

So instead of having to go back, to set the in and out points again - possibly messing up the duration of my clip - is there any way that I can just scroll/scrub through this clip while maintaining it's position and length in my timeline?

Hope I'm explaining myself okay here. So basically I want to keep my clip on my timeline and just scrub0 through its content so it shows the right part of the longer video it's cut from, without having to go back to the source clip or set new in and out points and repasting it on the timeline.

Is this possible?

Thank you in advance, sorry for the noob question.

Steve Alexander

Re: Scrub through clip in Edit timeline

PostWed Sep 20, 2023 3:02 pm

Yes, it is called 'Slipping' and can be invoked by hitting 'T' on the keyboard to go into trim mode and then using the mouse you can hover over the lower part of the clip until {..} appears than then click and drag back and forth to slip the portion of the clip contents. This is from memory - knowing that it's called 'slip' should help find more info.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 18.6.4 | Fusion Studio 18.6.4 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.1.2

Cinedon

PostWed Sep 20, 2023 3:36 pm

Steve Alexander wrote:Yes, it is called 'Slipping' and can be invoked by hitting 'T' on the keyboard to go into trim mode and then using the mouse you can hover over the lower part of the clip until {..} appears than then click and drag back and forth to slip the portion of the clip contents. This is from memory - knowing that it's called 'slip' should help find more info.

Thank you very much. I was afraid my googling was showing no results due to using the wrong terminology.

I've tested it and it is in fact as you described. The only difference being the {...} Have apparently made way for double arrows on both sides {<>}, although {...} this appeared first, but I couldn't trigger it anymore. Either way, the arrows did the trick just as well.

Thank you again.

Steve Alexander

PostThu Sep 21, 2023 2:49 pm

Glad I could help.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 18.6.4 | Fusion Studio 18.6.4 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.1.2

Return to DaVinci Resolve