Official Thread of Limitless Confusion

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

tf_is_going_on

Official Thread of Limitless Confusion

PostFri Oct 18, 2019 3:39 am

Sup!

Just to give you an idea of what you're dealing with here, I had to google the captcha question to create an account. I have no business dealing with video editing software and yet I'm here. Figured it'd be best to gather all my future inquiries into one thread to avoid the servers from exploding. Here goes:

[SEE IMAGE]

Somehow I managed to stuff the media of my timeline in the minus region. I'm not entirely sure what that suggests but I can't access it for editing since it's BEHIND the 00-mark, though it's still playable from the media player panel. That along with the tiny part of the media still left visible in the timeline leaves me with this vague understanding of what's going on. Hasn't helped much with finding a solution.

Any takers?
Attachments
Skärmavbild 2019-10-18 kl. 04.59.56.png
Skärmavbild 2019-10-18 kl. 04.59.56.png (154.89 KiB) Viewed 1270 times

iddos-l

Re: Official Thread of Limitless Confusion

PostFri Oct 18, 2019 7:56 am

Not sure I understood.
Try hovering over the timeline and scroll down/up.
You can change the timeline tracks heights. You can expand the timeline window itself.
Hope I addressed the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ttakala

PostFri Oct 18, 2019 10:19 am

I don't think that it's even possible to have clips in the minus range. Most likely you have the clip just cut very short in the beginning of the timeline. Try pressing shift+z, that should fit everything that's in the timeline to view. Or place the playhead to the beginning of the timeline and alt+scrollwheel to zoom in.

The media pool shows the whole original clip no matter how short the cut is in the timeline. You should probably take a look at the manual or some video tutorials:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... e/training

Good luck!

tf_is_going_on

PostFri Oct 18, 2019 1:01 pm

I tried these suggestions prior to making this thread and I agree that it shouldn't be able to happen. My good side allows me to contemplate it as a goof on my part. One that ctrl + z unfortunately can't seem to undo.

Thanks for now

gtempleman

PostFri Oct 18, 2019 5:05 pm

I am assuming you tried dragging the timeline zoom slider.

resize.jpg
resize.jpg (20.8 KiB) Viewed 1178 times

So then I suspect you may have had the mouse cursor next to the right edge, where it turns into the trim tool, then accidentally drug it all the way to the left. If you can't get that tool to reappear and be able to drag back to the right, then you may just need to delete the clip and bring it in again. If you can't highlight the fragment to delete it, simply create a new timeline and start over. I can't think you have done much editing to that one clip where starting over will set you back very much.
Microsoft Windows 11 Home x64
Version 23H2 build 22631.3155
Lenovo Legion Y545
32GB RAM
GTX 1660Ti
Driver version 551.23
Resolve (Studio) 18.6.5 build 7

Jim Simon

PostFri Oct 18, 2019 6:16 pm

tf_is_going_on wrote:I have no business dealing with video editing software

Correct that as a very first step. Start below.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... e/training
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

CodeTech

PostFri Oct 18, 2019 8:12 pm

Put something in a reachable area (any piece of video)... then Ctrl-A to select all, and drag the thing you can see to the right. Everything else should come along with it
Resolve Studio 18.6.6, Win11, i7-13700K, 64GB DDR5 RAM, 3080Ti (12GB) (551.86 Studio), 5TB M.2 SSDs, 90TB+ HDs, Three 4K monitors: 27", 28", 43", Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Presonus Studio Monitors

Peter Cave

PostFri Oct 18, 2019 10:43 pm

The timeline is just zoomed out too far. The image shows the playhead at 7 mins. position the playhead at the start of the timeline and zoom in until the clip becomes visible.
Resolve 18.6.5 Mac OSX 14.4 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

tf_is_going_on

PostSat Oct 19, 2019 12:54 am

[quote="gtempleman"]I am assuming you tried dragging the timeline zoom slider.

resize.jpg

Fixed it right away. Give this guy a raise.

tf_is_going_on

PostSat Oct 19, 2019 2:59 am

Anyone familiar with using Davinci on a Macbook? I've been struggling to delete keyframes. When I highlight a keyframe the entire track lights up with it. I press backspace (which acts as DEL on a Macbook) and the track vanishes. I've tried to find a command suitable for the task without payoff. CMD + backspace, SHIFT + backspace, FN + backspace - you name it. If there's a way to highlight keyframes and only keyframes, that'd solve my problem for sure.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Oct 19, 2019 12:34 pm

tf_is_going_on wrote:Sup!

Just to give you an idea of what you're dealing with here, I had to google the captcha question to create an account. I have no business dealing with video editing software and yet I'm here. Figured it'd be best to gather all my future inquiries into one thread to avoid the servers from exploding. Here goes:

Somehow I managed to stuff......

Any takers?

Please, before you go further, read the getting started chapters if the manual which u can find in the help menu.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Michael_Andreas

PostSat Oct 19, 2019 2:22 pm

Blackmagic has also provided free tutorials, PDF and Video along with training materials. These are located on the Blackmagic website linked from DaVinci Resolve's Help menu.

Return to DaVinci Resolve