DaVinci crashes after Login screen

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Christian Stoehr

DaVinci crashes after Login screen

PostSat Sep 15, 2012 8:25 am

I keep getting a "No OpenCL Acceleration Hardware Detected" error when starting DaVinci 9 Lite.
Then after hitting "Login" it shuts down.

I have 1 monitor connected to a GTX 570 2.5Gb (which works fine in Premiere)
and a 2nd monitor connected to my old ATI Radeon HD 2600XT
CUDA driver is 5.0.24
OS 10.7.4 with 6 Gb memory

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: DaVinci crashes after Login screen

PostSat Sep 15, 2012 4:25 pm

It sounds like Resolve is not detecting your GTX570 card. Open your Mac System Preferences window and click on the CUDA icon. Check the GPU version. For Lion 10.7.4, you need to have 270.00.00f06 installed for CUDA processing to work. If you don't have that GPU version installed, you can download it from the NVIDIA Driver Download site here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/macosx-270 ... river.html

Also, we have not tested the 5.0.24 CUDA driver, and still recommend using the 5.0.17 driver. If you have the correct GPU driver, or installing it does not help, you might try installing the 5.0.17 CUDA driver. It can be found here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/mac-driver-archive.html
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Christian Stoehr

PostSat Sep 15, 2012 4:40 pm

Thanks, I rolled the driver back to the 5.0.17 and made sure I have the 270.00.00f06 installed. Same problem. It almost starts, I can see the program open up for about a second after the login screen and then it shuts down and gives me a crash code to send to apple. I saved that as PDF, but this forum doesn`t allow PDF attachments.
I was hoping that buying the GTX570 would fix this, but I guess its something else.

Christian Stoehr

PostSat Sep 15, 2012 4:45 pm

I did originally have the beta version 9 installed and now used the un-installer from the new version 9 I downloaded yesterday and then re-installed it. But I still got my original 3 users that I tried to set up in the Login screen. Are there preferences that I should be deleting that the un-install didn`t catch ?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Sep 15, 2012 5:07 pm

Uninstalling Resolve does not remove the database. That's why you still see your original users and projects.

After you launch Resolve and it shuts down, run the Resolve CaptureLogs app and it will create a .tgz file on your desktop. Send that file to davincihelp (at) blackmagicdesign.com. You can find the CaptureLogs app by opening a Finder window and navigating to the /Library/Application Support/Blackmagic Design/ DaVinci Resolve folder. Double click it to run it.

It would also be helpful if you send us your Mac System Profile info in a .spx file. You can do this by selecting "About this Mac" in the Apple menu in the upper left of the Display. The select More Info, then System Report. In the System Information menus at the top, select File then Save and send us the file it saves.
Dwaine Maggart

Christian Stoehr

PostSat Sep 15, 2012 5:16 pm

Thanks Dwaine, I just send you the files. And thanks for the quick responses on the weekend. I am very impressed.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Sep 15, 2012 5:45 pm

Because you have displays connected to both graphics cards, Resolve is deciding to use the GTX570 for it's GUI display card and then it has to try to use the ATI card as the GPU card, but the HD2600 card is not good enough to run OpenCL at the level Resolve requires. Thus the OpenCL error.

The simple solution would be to remove the display from the GTX570 card. Hopefully the ATI card will be adequate for Resolve to use as GUI card, but I am not certain of that.

If Resolve still gives you the OpenCL error after disconnecting the display from the GTX570 card, you might need to reboot the Mac after removing the display.
Dwaine Maggart

Christian Stoehr

PostSat Sep 15, 2012 6:18 pm

Thanks, that was it, it works fine now. I connected both my monitors back to my old ATI card.
So when you mention openCL, I keep reading that Mac doesn`t use the openCL on the GTX570 cards, and that you have to do a small hack on the GLDriver Bundle. Is that still the case for Resolve also, because when I run a openCL test via LuxMark, it says no GPU available that supports openCL, but my GTX570 would have it

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Sep 15, 2012 6:29 pm

We do not support OpenCL on Nvidia cards. We only support OpenCL on Macs, and only when we have to, if ATI/AMD GPUs are all that are available. Nvidia CUDA processing is MUCH better for Resolve GPU purposes. So that is what we want to use, when we can.
Dwaine Maggart

Christian Stoehr

PostSat Sep 15, 2012 6:32 pm

Ok great, then I am all set. So I guess I should eventually by another card to replace the old ATI, I think guys use the GTX120 or just a 2nd GTX570.
But I think you guys have recommendations on your setup guides for that.

Thanks again for the help.

claypoolless

PostWed Nov 28, 2012 10:36 pm

I just installed Davinci resolve 9 on my 17'' MacBookPro i7 2,4 AMD 6770M

I get "No CUDA Acceleration Hardware Detected", and when i try to log in, it crashes. WHAT SHOULD I DO?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Nov 28, 2012 11:35 pm

You should go into Mac System Preferences / Energy Saver and uncheck the "Automatic Graphics Switching" mode.
Dwaine Maggart

claypoolless

PostThu Nov 29, 2012 11:49 am

Thank you for fast reply. :)

it was already off, i try switching it on and then off again, but it did not work...

claypoolless

PostFri Nov 30, 2012 9:50 am

does anybody have any suggestion how to fix this? i'm becoming really desperate... :)

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Nov 30, 2012 12:15 pm

What version of v9?
Maybe u can try the latest 9.0.4?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

claypoolless

PostFri Nov 30, 2012 3:40 pm

I downloaded it just two days ago from official website, it's the newest version... Realy i need help! :) This is becoming frustrating...

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Nov 30, 2012 6:38 pm

I just had a user call yesterday with a 17" MBP with the same problem. I've pretty much assumed anyone with one of these systems would be running at least Lion. But this user had Snow Leopard on their system. And it had CUDA version 3.1.10 installed, which is way too old for Resolve.

So open the CUDA window in Mac System Preferences, and let it update to the current CUDA version. That will likely fix your issue, as long as "Automatic Graphics Switching" is NOT checked in System Preferences / Energy Saver.

If updating CUDA does not help, please send the files described below to davincihelp (AT) blackmagicdesign (DOT) com

Send your Mac System Profile .spx file, and a Resolve CaptureLogs .tgz files:

For the .spx file, click on the Apple icon in the upper left of the display and select "About This Mac". Then click on More Info and then System Report. In the System Information menus at the top of the display, select the File menu, then Save.

For the .tgz file, open a Finder window, and navigate to the /Library/Application Support/Blackmagic Design/DaVinci Resolve folder and double click CaptureLogs. That will place a .tgz file on your desktop.
Dwaine Maggart

claypoolless

PostFri Nov 30, 2012 9:36 pm

Can i download resolve 8.x lite?
Maybe it will work until we figure out what is the problem. I am doing some shooting for collage in 15 days, and i need everything up and running in 5! Becouse i am doing some testing, and building the pipeline. If i dont get it running, i will have to go and do post in some other software WHICH I REALY DONT WANT TO DO!

I am not at home at the moment, but i can tell you this much today.
My operating system is Lion, i have updated CUDA drivers, and there are no new updates (5.0.37). Did full system updated... reinstalled resolve several times...

CPU: i7 2.4
Graphic: AMD Radeon HD 6770M VRAM 1024MB
RAM 4GB 1333MHz

Defenetly autoswitch is not the problem becouse i turned it off first thing i got may MBP, and checked it several times now.

Thank you for your help! :)

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Nov 30, 2012 9:39 pm

V8 of Lite is not available. If you can send the requested files when you get the opportunity, hopefully we can sort out the issue.
Dwaine Maggart

claypoolless

PostWed Dec 05, 2012 9:10 pm

ok, i sent you an email.

Christoph Tilley

PostTue Jan 22, 2013 8:19 pm

Having the same problem as the thread-starter:

MacPro Mid 2010, 2 x 6-core, OS 10.7.5, 1 GPU System with GTX570 from macvidcards, CUDA 5.0.37, GPU 7.32.12 295.10.20f01

When trying to login, Davinci instantly crashes.
What can I do?

Kind regards,
Chris

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jan 22, 2013 8:30 pm

You could read my responses to the thread starter. You could also try the current NVIDIA GPU driver for 10.7.5: http://www.nvidia.com/object/macosx-295 ... river.html
Dwaine Maggart

Christoph Tilley

PostTue Jan 22, 2013 11:06 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:You could read my responses to the thread starter. You could also try the current NVIDIA GPU driver for 10.7.5: http://www.nvidia.com/object/macosx-295 ... river.html

Just updated the GPU driver. No crash so far,... maybe this did the trick! *knocksonwood*

Christoph Tilley

PostWed Jan 23, 2013 11:59 pm

Nope,.. did not help. Still crashing. When looking at Davincis crash logs, one of the last lines before crash always is:
Code: Select all
[0x119559000] | GPUManager           | INFO  | 2013-01-24 00:52:17,292 | Flushing GPU memory...

Maybe this could help.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jan 25, 2013 12:42 am

Having your spx and tgz file as noted earlier in this thread might help a lot more.

Based on your next to last post, is Resolve running somewhat? Are you able to do anything before it crashes? If so, does any particular thing seem to cause the crash?
Dwaine Maggart

Christoph Tilley

PostFri Jan 25, 2013 8:43 am

I already sent you my logs and configuration to davincihelp.

After fresh reboot, Resolve works fine. Seems like as soon as I open different GPU-intensive applications in the background (like Photoshop) Resolve crashes randomly on things like highlighting masks, using the qualifier, scrubbing, etc.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jan 25, 2013 6:15 pm

Are you the person conversing with Louis?

We recommend that you don't run apps in the background with Resolve. If the only crashing is related to having such apps open, it would seem good to not have those apps open when you use Resolve. It's possible there are resource, driver or other conflicts with the apps, and there is not much we can do about that. Resolve is designed to be used as the only app running. Even having browsers open has caused reported performance issues with Resolve.
Dwaine Maggart

AnthonyC14

PostThu Apr 25, 2013 4:09 pm

so, I'm an amateur user and college student who doesn't know much about the hardware, but I get an error message that tells me theres no OpenCL Hardware Acceleration detected. This is what it says in the CUDA system preferences, and I'm not sure what else I need. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
CUDA Driver Version: 5.0.45
GPU Driver Version: 8.0.61 295.30.20f02

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Apr 26, 2013 12:39 am

Knowing your hardware and OSX details would be a big help.
Dwaine Maggart

tother

PostSun Jun 16, 2013 10:16 am

I'm on Macbook Retina, OSX 10.8.4 w/ Cuda 5.0.61 and Resolve craches after i try and log into it. Tried guest, user and admin account. I tried reinstalling after i trashed the prefs and nothing?

Any idea?
Jaosn

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jun 17, 2013 7:07 pm

Resolve should be OK on a rMBP. It sounds like you are getting to the user login screen. Are there any messages or warnings getting to that point? What version of Resolve are you using? Have you ever had an earlier version of Resolve installed and working, or is this the first attempt to install Resolve? Are you using a version downloaded from the BMD web site, or from the Apple App store? Can you try creating a new DISK database and see what happens? Details on page 611 of the Resolve manual, in the "To Switch to Project-Based Management" section.
Dwaine Maggart

jeremyb

PostThu Jul 11, 2013 5:34 pm

I have the exact same issue, running the same gear.

15" rMBP fully spec'd. Mac 10.8.4 + CUDA 5.0.61

Crashes on log in screen.

Have uninstalled and installed twice.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jul 11, 2013 7:22 pm

Is it crashing as it gets TO the Login screen? Or does it get to the Login screen OK, and then crash when you try to login?
Dwaine Maggart

jeremyb

PostThu Jul 11, 2013 8:42 pm

I enter my username and password, hit enter it "flashes" (sort of blinks) then crashes...

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jul 11, 2013 10:13 pm

Can you try logging in as guest and admin and see if they work?
Dwaine Maggart

jeremyb

PostFri Jul 12, 2013 9:44 am

Exact same thing happens...

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jul 12, 2013 4:02 pm

After Resolve crashes, open a Finder window and go here: /Library/Application Support/Blackmagic Design/DaVinci Resolve.

In the DaVinci Resolve folder, you will see an app called CaptureLogs. Double click that to run it. It will create a .tgz file on your desktop. Send that file here using a file sharing service like Dropbox or YouSendIt or WeTransfer or something like that:

http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support ... lse&os=mac

In the message, reference this thread.
Dwaine Maggart

Chris Holt

PostSun Aug 11, 2013 1:15 pm

What should I do if BlackMagic is not in the app support folder???

This is a real PITA.

Mac Mini
Processor 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 768 MB
Software OS X 10.8.4 (12E55)

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Aug 12, 2013 1:42 am

Hi, DaVinci Resolve will not operate on the MacMini as it has far too few resources. Please refer to the config guides published in the post production section for hardware configs that are supported.
Peter

Chris Holt

PostMon Aug 12, 2013 3:10 am

What resources does it not have?

Paul Provost

PostMon Aug 12, 2013 4:37 am

Gpu is underpowered
Paul Provost - colorist
Twitter: @4kfinish
www.4kfinish.com

dirandy

PostMon Aug 12, 2013 1:17 pm

I have this exact same issue. Upgraded to Resolve Lite 10, rebooted and when signing into an account or using a guest account it flashes and exits the program. I've tried a fresh install as well.

Running on the Macbook Pro Retina with Mountain Lion.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Aug 12, 2013 1:42 pm

Dirandy, check that your GPU setting is no on automatic switching.
Peter

Chris Holt

PostMon Aug 12, 2013 2:26 pm

Well that sucks. It works perfectly with all other NLEs/Graphics etc.

dirandy

PostTue Aug 13, 2013 3:36 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Dirandy, check that your GPU setting is no on automatic switching.
Peter

Thanks Peter, worked like a charm!

game.aniket

PostTue Aug 13, 2013 5:31 pm

I have installed the resolve lite version 9.1.4 but whenever I open the software it crashes saying I don't have a OpenCL card. Whereas i have a Nvidia cuda card 5.5.20. My Macbook pro is a 13" mid 2012 model with 10.8.4 version. Do help me ASAP ? Bit frustrating to have a great software and not to use it.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Aug 13, 2013 6:33 pm

None of the 13" MBP systems are Resolve compatible. They only have Intel HD graphics, which do not support Resolve operation. Please check the Mac Resolve Config guide (link at the top of the Post Production section of the Forum) for supported Mac systems.
Dwaine Maggart

imkaimka

PostTue Aug 13, 2013 8:10 pm

Hi there,

I just downloaded DaVinci Resolve Lite, but upon opening it and trying to log in through Admin or Guest the following window pops up:"No OpenCL Acceleration Hardware Detected! Please quite Resolve and install a OpenCL accelerated GPU card or update your OpenCL software driver to the latest version before continuing to use Resolve"

I'm still working with Snow Leopard (10.6.8) and am on a MacPro3,1 with two Cinema HD displays. The graphics card is an ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT which I assume is where the problem lies?

Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 8
L2 Cache (per processor): 12 MB
Memory: 10 GB
Bus Speed: 1.6 GHz

Thanks for any help
Elias

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Aug 13, 2013 9:07 pm

You have 2 issues.

1. Resolve V9 does not support OSX 10.6.8. In versions 9.1 and higher, it simply will not work with ATI/AMD GPU cards. At all. It more or less works at the moment with supported NVIDIA cards. But it's still not a supported OS. Also note that AMD/ATI cards have highlight posterization issues with OSX 10.7.5. If you wish to use a supported AMD/ATI GPU card, you must use OSX 10.8.4.

2. Your HD2600XT card is not adequate to run Resolve, even if you were using a supported OS. Minimum supported ATI/AMD card would be an HD5770.
Dwaine Maggart

imkaimka

PostTue Aug 13, 2013 9:16 pm

Thanks for your quick answer, Dwaine!
Next

Return to DaVinci Resolve