DaVinci crashes after Login screen

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Martin Melnick

Re: DaVinci crashes after Login screen

PostWed Aug 28, 2013 6:13 pm

FIX!

PROBLEM AND ATTEMPTS:
I had the same issue. I was working on a feature (2k Project with 5K R3Ds). I had just installed a decklink and selected it in the preferences. The moment I did this and restarted Davinci, it would crash after login each time. It would load up the project selection window and half a beat later, I would get a crash. Nothing I did seemed to work and I had a deadline on two large projects.

Here's what I tried that didn't work:
1. Removing Black Magic Card and uninstalling Drivers for it. - Still crashed.
2. Updating GPU Drivers. - Still Crashed.
3. Logging in as different users. - still crashed.
4. Cutting out Preferences in the c: Programdata/Blackmagic Design folder. - Won't start at all if you do this.
5. Editing the log.data file in the preferences folder to switch i/o port to '0' rather than decklink. - still crashed.
6. Uninstall and reinstall Davinci - still crash.

SOLUTION:
1. Find your database folder so you don't lose all of your work (I export my important projects regularly, but still hadn't with the most recent updates when this problem arose). I highly recommend for smaller post houses (not fiber houses) to use disk databases as they can be moved around and have less communication issues.
2. Once you have the database folder found, copy and paste it somewhere else (this will include all of your project files, stills etc).
3. Go back to the programdata/BlackMagic Design/Preferences folder and delete it so it has to be remade when you go to reinstall Resolve.
4. One deleted, uninstall Resolve. Reinstall and update Resolve (It will automatically recreate a new preferences folder - one that isn't corrupted by the decklink option).
5. Open Davinci and go to databases. Click the top right button and select 'connect.'
6. Find your copied Database folder from your earlier install and select it.
7. Davinci now has imported your previous disk Database. Double click it and it should connect to it and bring back your old sign on. When I did this, my projects still all remain as well as all of my looks and xml's etc. and do not experience a crash any longer.

Good luck. Export your projects to backup often. Specially on feature projects (even in reels, these get hard for Resolve to handle at times).

Isaac Anderson

PostTue Oct 15, 2013 8:38 pm

Same is happening for me. I just posted a post, that has all of the description on the machine, and stuff

-:[]:-
I-ManFilms
Isaac Anderson
Starstreamvideo@gmail.com

Jonathan Murphy

PostSun Nov 03, 2013 1:24 am

Hey I am having a very similar problem. I will start davinci resolve 9 and it will work for a while and then just shut off. OR it will shut off right when I open it. There is no crash code. Just the application goes away.

I am running on Mavericks. (Its a hackintosh)

-It has two 8 core 3.09Ghz xeon processors
-80 Gbs of DDR3 ram
-(1) Nvidia 680gtx with 4gbs of ram
-Two monitors that plug into the graphics card
-Cuda Driver 5.5.28 (latest version)

Everything else works great. FCPX, Premiere, After Effects etc. Just not Davinci Resolve 9 or 10. I have worked on it for about 3 hours and then it will shut off or 2 min and it will shut off. No rhyme or reason. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Jonathan

Jonathan Murphy

PostSun Nov 03, 2013 1:26 am

SORRY!!! DIDNT KNOW I POSTED THIS TWICE!! TRIED TAKING IT OFF BUT DONT KNOW HOW!! I AM NEW. SORRY!! Hey I am having a very similar problem. I will start davinci resolve 9 and it will work for a while and then just shut off. OR it will shut off right when I open it. There is no crash code. Just the application goes away.

I am running on Mavericks. (Its a hackintosh)

-It has two 8 core 3.09Ghz xeon processors
-80 Gbs of DDR3 ram
-(1) Nvidia 680gtx with 4gbs of ram
-Two monitors that plug into the graphics card
-Cuda Driver 5.5.28 (latest version)

Everything else works great. FCPX, Premiere, After Effects etc. Just not Davinci Resolve 9 or 10. I have worked on it for about 3 hours and then it will shut off or 2 min and it will shut off. No rhyme or reason. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Jonathan
Previous

Return to DaVinci Resolve