Final Explanation of Gamma and Color Shift Problems

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

awppollock

Re: Final Explanation of Gamma and Color Shift Problems

PostFri Dec 18, 2020 4:52 am

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:Not sure why.
Just try setting project itself this way.

When I try this I get craaaaazy extreme colors happening to my image. I am so discouraged by this. My images seem to be coming out darker than the viewer and even when the Quicktime image closely resembles the Resolve viewer, the same image on my phone looks completely different. Has anyone put together a SUCCINCT solution to these issues? There’s so many pages of nuanced tech talk here I could really use someone’s help understanding how to improve or accept what must be accepted. I just don’t know up from down at this point. I’m working on a 2019 Macbook Pro maxed out. Posts with screenshots on my page. Thanks.

dariusii

PostSun Feb 21, 2021 7:29 pm

>Rec.709-A reads Rec709 gamma in Apple way

There's a one interesting moment.
If I will be use rec.709-A, so I'll be watch my created movie in qtime well. But - if I'll watch that movie under iOS (iphone/ipad), or under tv (rec.709/2.2), that move will watched more dark. more contrast.

If I'll be use rec.709/2.2 in resolve (proj settings), so all're ok.

I'd calibrate my monitor with rec.709 2.2 settings (i1disp pro with i1profiler).
The file, that was created from resolve is prores 422 and converted as with ffmpeg (libx264), so and with apple compressor. two variants. I believe, that apple compressor can view gamma tags of movie. any result is showing a more contrastly image under ios/tv. There is normal one only under computers (qtime).
But strange to say, many people like to watch video and under ios/tv.

Uli Plank

PostMon Feb 22, 2021 1:07 am

Since you can't avoid it, try to find out what is the preferred device of your audience and target that.
Resolve Studio 17 beta and Fusion Studio 17 beta under MacOS Mojave 10.14.6
iMac 2017 Radeon Pro 580 8 GB VRAM, 32 GB RAM
2018 Mac mini 16 GB RAM, eGFX Breakway Radeon RX 580 under Catalina 10.15.7
MacBook Air M1
Previous

Return to DaVinci Resolve