Resolve and slow whit thumbnail on.

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

ohimbz

Resolve and slow whit thumbnail on.

PostThu Oct 24, 2019 12:04 pm

Am i the only one who keeps having issues with Thumbnail on option on the timeline ?

Each time i do something zoom in / out , change timelines i have to wait for Resolve to draw the thumbnails ... Why can`t it just cache them ?

With them off the PC totally flies trough 4K footage from A7III .. but everything gets slow when i activate the thumbnails in the timeline , no matter which variant (start/end or whole clip)

And there`s also a issue where the play head randomly jumps at times to where resolve was refreshing a thumbnail ... making it very annoying to work.
Ryzen 5800X
G.Skill 32GB 3600 CL14
RX 6800XT 16GB
Resolve Studio 18.5
Windows 11

OlegCherr

Re: Resolve and slow whit thumbnail on.

PostThu Jun 24, 2021 4:00 pm

Same problem! When I zoom the timeline, Resolve starts to re-generate all the clip thumbnails. It takes a lot of time. That makes it almost impossible to work in Resolve since it freezes the system.

I think thumbnails should be cached someway.

PS: "Save Timeline Thumbnails With Project" and "Optimized Media" don't help at all in my case.

Jim Simon

PostSat Jun 26, 2021 7:51 pm

I've always found the redraw to be very snappy, less than a second.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

OlegCherr

PostThu Jul 01, 2021 1:17 pm

Jim Simon wrote:I've always found the redraw to be very snappy, less than a second.

I should have mentioned that I'm editing 4K h265. And I can definitely see that thumbnails aren't cached.

Return to DaVinci Resolve