Rendering gets stuck at the same frame(s) every time.

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Fassbrause

Rendering gets stuck at the same frame(s) every time.

PostSun Oct 27, 2019 9:21 pm

Hello guys,

I think I am getting crazy.

The Rendering of my movie just gets stuck again and again at the same frame or frames. It is always the same spot and the "framerate" of the rendering just drops to zero and the "remaining time" consistently goes up.

I deleted the cache, optimized media. I restarted my PC and the Rendering almost 6 times. I quit all background processes. I made sure there is enough storage space.

It has to be something about the clips, because when I deactivate them, they just work fine.

Can you help? I dont know what to do and am under pressure for a job.

I attached an image file of the 0 frames
Attachments
Unbenannt.PNG
Unbenannt.PNG (4.4 KiB) Viewed 20743 times

Michael_Andreas

Re: Rendering gets stuck at the same frame(s) every time.

PostSun Oct 27, 2019 9:33 pm

You've excluded some possibilities with storage. You say that render fails at the same point with the same clips. You think maybe it's the clips themselves. Maybe it's an effect you've applied to the clips.

Do some troubleshooting. Make a new timeline with the suspect clips, just drop them in place one at a time. Does the new timeline fail? No? Stack the clips they way they were in the other timeline. Does it fail? No? Apply any effects one at a time including transitions.

Jim Simon

PostSun Oct 27, 2019 9:34 pm

What's different about the clip that fails?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Fassbrause

PostMon Oct 28, 2019 8:17 am

After a lot of testing and troubleshooting, I found out it was a small smooth cut transition between the clips. (One 0.2 secs long, the other one 0.1 secs)

I deleted those transitions and just drag and dropped them new.

Now the issues are gone and I can render that part. It does not get stuck at 0 frames per sec anymore.

Thanks for your tipps, guys!

Val Gameiro

PostMon Oct 28, 2019 1:04 pm

I had a similar problem rendering a fusion comp. It ran all night and even though the whole clip seemed to have finished rendering, there was no audio, and the queue still showed a long time to finish... like days, or something. I finally shut down Resolve, 'cos even cancelling it was taking forever.
Val Gameiro
Writer/Director/Filmmaker
Austin, Texas
http://www.AmnesiaTheMovie.com
http://www.ValGameiro.com
http://www.IdealSceneProductions.com
http://www.TXSTARentertainment.com

Resolve 16.1.1 64bit Windows 10 Pro MS Surface Book 2 16GB RAM GTX 1050

Fassbrause

PostFri Nov 01, 2019 10:34 am

After deleting my cache and updating to Nvidias newest drivers the same issue came back. :|

Michael_Andreas

PostFri Nov 01, 2019 11:27 am

Please take a read through the FAQ and see if you can identify any issues:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=90190#12
This webpage has some discussion on requirements: https://www.richardlackey.com/davinci-r ... ity-check/
Also, if you are running any DR version 16.0 or 16.1 earlier than the 16.1.1 released in the last couple of days, update to it as a number of stability improvements have been made.

If your problem persists, then identify your system configuration for those who might help you. Do that by creating a signature in the User Control Panel accessible via the link in the upper left corner of this web page. If you do it in a message, the information gets buried in further communication.

Identify the following in your signature:
--Version of DaVinci Resolve, Studio or Free, and the exact version and build number. In DR, follow the menu DaVinci Resolve --> About DaVinci Resolve and copy the number from the pop-up panel.
--Operating System and version
--CPU
--System RAM size
--GPU Card with GPU Memory Size and GPU Driver version
--Type of Storage Drive

See my signature below for an example.

danteillanes2004

PostMon Sep 07, 2020 1:57 pm

Thanks! That solution (delete and re add transitions) worked for me! I was also getting GPU rendering errors that made me restart to see a preview.

Kalomika

PostTue Feb 02, 2021 6:27 am

Val Gameiro wrote:I had a similar problem rendering a fusion comp. It ran all night and even though the whole clip seemed to have finished rendering, there was no audio, and the queue still showed a long time to finish... like days, or something. I finally shut down Resolve, 'cos even cancelling it was taking forever.

Well, how did you fix this Fusion issue? It's been a month of hell with it for me

jeenio

PostWed Feb 24, 2021 11:11 pm

Hi there

New to this forum, didn't want to create a new thread.

I'm using DaVinci Resolve beta 17. I've made a video with 3 tracks with some masking. Later, I wanted to correct a few things and color correct it. I'm getting the same problem as the original poster (render gets stuck, 0 fps and I let it run for the whole night, in ther morning it was the same, ETA was 41 days...). After many trial and errors, I figured out that:

- any render with the poligon or bspline activated in Fusion triggers the problem
- if they're deactivated, render is fine

So, the problem is the masking? But I've done a render a couple of days ago with no problem! I think I'm going crazy...

I've done:

- disk check
- ram check
- update GPU drivers
- attempt to render using the faster M2 system disk
- move all files to the M2

My setup:

CPU i7 9700K
RAM 32GB DDR4
System disk M2 SSD 240 GB
Storage disk HDD 1 TB
GPU NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 4 GB
GPU Drivers 461.40 (latest)
Windows 10 64bit
DaVinci Resolve Free 17.0b Build 18

If anyone has any idea, I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

sibianul

PostSun Apr 11, 2021 5:43 pm

Hello everyone,
I haven't made any videos in a while, and today I tried to edit another one and seen the UPDATE now window, I upgraded to DR17, from 16 ... the first disappointment was that I couldn't find GPU rendering option, and I'm sure in DR16 I had it checked, in the free version .. but maybe I'm wrong. I read online that I need to purchase a license to enable GPU encoding in the DR17.

Now the problem is I left the PC rendering all day, while I was out with my bike, and when I got home I find it like I left it, rendering in progress .. it's been more than 5 hours. I closed it and reopend the project, and tried to render it again, now I could see the Remaining time 1:58:02 ... than after a few moments 1:32:04 and it remained stuck it that value, I left it another hour or so .. and it did nothing :(

So what's the ideea with "check what effects you used, or transitions, and remove them" ?? Why the effects or transitions don't work as expected ? Buying a license will help ?

PC I used has an older CPU, i5 ~2560 , 16GB RAM, and a GTX1060 4GB RAM

sibianul

PostSun Apr 11, 2021 6:46 pm

I tried now at my office PC, this one is an i7 4771 , 16GB RAM and a Nvidia GTX 750 Ti GPU, I tried to rendere the same project and it failed like on the other PC, right at the beginning of the video.

I removed the Title (Clean and simple preset) and it seems now it renders it .. 29 minutes remaining.

So the issue was the title, but I think this is a bug in the software, I just added the preset , and changed the text in the title, it should have render it.. no matter what CPU or GPU we have ...

antoniorui

PostFri Apr 23, 2021 7:42 am

I am experiencing exactly the same issue: 0 Frames. It gets stuck as soon as it hits a clip where I am using Fusion. the clip is short and it includes the tracking of a TV screen and its replacement with another image.

I am attaching a screen grab of my fusion composition. It was working before and as soon as I adjusted the image placed onto the screen by a few frames, it stop working...

Also tried to make it into a Compound Clip to no avail... If anyone knows the answer to this, please enlighten me. Thanks!
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-04-23 at 08.39.21.png
Screenshot 2021-04-23 at 08.39.21.png (176.04 KiB) Viewed 14752 times

antoniorui

PostFri Apr 23, 2021 8:42 am

Ok, just discovered that it renders ok, after adjusting the frame handles on the Media4 node. BUT... it worked on h264 not ProRes 422(HQ)... Interestingly, when I try to quit Resolve Studio 17, the program freezes and when I click Force Quite (I use a Mac), it doesn't show the message (not responding)... Also tried 4444 and the same thing happens.

antoniorui

PostFri Apr 23, 2021 9:06 am

Ok, big big problem. Cannot get to render out single clip for the in and out points. I set it up correctly and set in and out, click render and it defaults to 'entire timeline'. WTF??

cristian.s

PostMon May 10, 2021 2:37 pm

Solution for the rendering stuck which matches but works above the the "weird " transition workarrownd:

- Go to playback and check if you have timeline proxy mode enabled. If yes,-set it to OFF .
Then try to render again - it shall work even with the transitions and effects which initially got stuck .

Solution about "Entire time line" instead of in/out- . Indeed this is an always issue, especially if you use the "untitled" name for your video. Workarrown- always works - Use your mouse and playhead right click Mark In& MarkOut to define the rendering range. DO NOT use dragging with the mouse from the gray dots/markers of the rendering section . THis produce most of the time the entire timeline render instead of in/out section, even is correctly displayed in the Render Dropdown box
Hopes it helped

Rikinanda

PostFri Jul 16, 2021 5:28 pm

In my case I discovered that Resolve was getting stuck on some imported clips that had originally had different frame rate settings etc. I thought Resolve had sorted that on import.

These clips were part of Compound clips, so a right click and a click on the Render in Place menu item solved the problem for me

CrinkleCut

PostThu Jul 29, 2021 1:53 pm

You people are LIFE SAVERS!

I tried both techniques - turning off timeline proxy mode & changing the first masked clip to something that wasn't Bspline or Polygon and the render finished without a hiccup.

I'm assuming cause it didn't come to a crashing halt when the 2nd Bspline mask came along it was the timeline proxy mode being set to off that did the trick.

Legends

Eric Nov

PostFri Mar 22, 2024 8:57 am

I almost gave up on last-minute delivery... I was hitting the deadline and Resolve was playing hide and seek.
the solution I figured out is to copy the entire timeline to a new one. DON'T DUPLICATE THE TIMELINE. Just copy to a new timeline tho some effects won't come to the project. you might need to do that manually on your new timeline. it works out every time.

Return to DaVinci Resolve