Power computing and DaVinci Resolve

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

MishaEngel

Re: Power computing and DaVinci Resolve

PostSat Nov 16, 2019 1:14 pm

The Decklink is for among other to give you accurate (10 bits) colors on you color grading monitor (assuming you color calibrate your color grading monitor).
The other monitor(s) are connected to your GPU.
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/decklink/techspecs/W-DLK-25

Francesco Bollorino

PostFri Jan 03, 2020 8:18 am

Francesco Bollorino wrote:
Carsten Sellberg wrote:
Francesco Bollorino wrote: Starting from my dream:" If I could only afford this I'd buy, as 'Xmas present to my soul, a MAC PRO with 2 VEGA PRO DUO graphic cards, 24 core CPU and 256GB of ram" which is the EQUIVALENT PCWIN architecture to have almost the same power? This is the question not other...

Hi Francesco.

I liked you suggestion to buy a new PC first with a smaller graphics card. And then Upgrade to
two coming AMD future Graphics card interconnected by Infinity Fabric much better.

When I look at this link:

https://www.apple.com/it/mac-pro/specs/

Do I see that the coming Mac Pro have a 1400 Watt Power Supply and Apple rate it for 1280W continuous at 108-125V or 220-240V.

But in the same link they write that Radeon Pro Vega II Duo uses 500 watt each. And a CPU 300 Watt. That is a total of 1300 Watt. I wonder how Apple will power all the remaining components inside the new Mac Pro. Is a 1400 Watt Power Supply large enough?

Personally I don't like the new Xeon W3200 series CPU's Apple bought from Intel, for the new Mac Pro or the pricing of it. It uses an old server LGA3647 socket where the user can't exchange the CPU them self. CPU upgrades will be a job for Apple.
It was launched in June to a price of $1999 for a W-3245 16 core Xeon CPU:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14513/in ... e-30-lanes

Later Intel reduced some server CPU prices to nearly the half, and introduced the new Xeon W2200 with the normal LGA2066 socket in October:
Here is the price $1333 for a W-2295 18 core Xeon CPU and only $1112 for a W-2275 14 core Xeon CPU. And then can the user self upgrade the CPU, if they need a faster one. I wonder why Apple choosed the Xeon W3200 and its special socket:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14939/in ... tb-support

Later today do I expect to see the first independent Ryzen 3950X CPU reviews. While we are waiting will i like to show this link, where the rumored PassMark Benchmark Score for the AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 16 Core CPU are faster than a Intel’s 28 Core Xeon-3175X CPU:

https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-9-3950x- ... mark-leak/

Finally. As I see it, will the new Mac Pro be the first of a series of Mac Pro's. It uses the old generation Intel 14nm+++ CPU with PCI ver 3.0.
If you still are considering one, are you then sure you still want one of the first generation?
And NOT one of the NEXT generation which I expect in 2021 and to come with a larger Power Supply, better cooling and with a new 10nm Intel CPU, DDR5 RAM and PCI ver 5.0.

Regards Carsten.

Dear Carsten, thank you a lot.
I do think that, sorry to say, mac gears are too much pricie for my pocket, So I will go to WINPC. In order to save my money I do think that choising the best apart of GPU for my first step is the way to build the right PC for my needs as I do think that the mighty of AMD Ryzen 3950 - 70X CPUs is enough right now and the 2020 AMD GPU series will be the right choise for this "definitive" gear,
Using 5700 GPU for some month is not a problem I think as it is not a mere piece of iron... I cant wait always for the best as so I'd buy nothing for a long time :D :D :D :D :D

Dear Carsten,
I have to establish which kind of partime GPU I have to buy waitig for the 2020 GPUs from AND or NVIDIA. As you suggest I have to buy the simplest one but "ALSO" apt to be rebought by my supplier when I will buy the definitive ones. There is also the problem to buy a GPU apt to allow 4K editing
I really dont know what to buy or what suggest to my supplier/biulder in order to have no loss of money when he will buyback the GPU for the definitive change.
Have any suggestion?
THANK AND HAPPY NEW 2020 to all the friends of the Forum from Genoa Italy
Francesco Bollorino
Editor of Psychiatry on line Italia
Thematic Channel on Youtube
http://www.youtube.com/PsychiatryonlineITA1

Carsten Sellberg

PostFri Jan 03, 2020 11:10 am

Francesco Bollorino wrote: I have to establish which kind of partime GPU I have to buy waitig for the 2020 GPUs from AND or NVIDIA. As you suggest I have to buy the simplest one but "ALSO" apt to be rebought by my supplier when I will buy the definitive ones. There is also the problem to buy a GPU apt to allow 4K editing.

Hi.

The Radion VII for 649,00 € from Amazon.it

https://www.amazon.it/dp/B07NFGDZWQ/?sm ... th=1&psc=1

Please read what I wrote about it it this thread: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=104643&p=579248&hilit=HBCC#p579248

An another possibility with less performance will be a nVidea RTX 20xx SUPER series with minimum 8GB vRam.

But CES 2020 in Las Vegas start next week, may be we will hear more on, when to expect the new Top Graphics cards from both AMD or nVidea.

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

Francesco Bollorino

PostFri Jan 03, 2020 2:51 pm

Carsten Sellberg wrote:
Francesco Bollorino wrote: I have to establish which kind of partime GPU I have to buy waitig for the 2020 GPUs from AND or NVIDIA. As you suggest I have to buy the simplest one but "ALSO" apt to be rebought by my supplier when I will buy the definitive ones. There is also the problem to buy a GPU apt to allow 4K editing.

Hi.

Please read what I wrote about it it this thread: https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/view ... CC#p579248

An another possibility with less performance will be a nVidea RTX 20xx SUPER series with minimum 8GB vRam.

But CES 2020 in Las Vegas start next week, may be we will hear more on, when to expect the new Top Graphics cards from both AMD or nVidea.

Regards Carsten.

I DO AGREE!!!
I hope my supplier will accept this solution.
Yes we have to wait 3 days to know and I hope in delivery's times not too much long both for AMD or NVIDIA new GPUs
Francesco Bollorino

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostFri Jan 03, 2020 4:21 pm

In my signature you see two 1080ti for a couple of reasons:

Fist, in my super micro board there are 4 slots: one for the Decklink, one for the SAS drive interface (external spinning 48TB) and that leave it with only two slots.

I have two 1080ti (same brand model) because I already have one and I did not swap both. Giving the choice I will have two 2080ti.

There is a triangle of efficiency that encompass:
Throughput tru and from the drives
CPU encoding/decoding
Computation of the frame

At work where the first two are solved (SAN with high efficiency and DPX with practically no decoding time) having multiple GPU (up to 6 in the double decker Supermicro) can be an advantage (although there is a diminished return at one point).

Roughly, within one GPU, the calculated frame need to be executed in 1/24th of a second, with two GPU you have double of that time, with three you have tree time that and so on. Then is the rest of the system that need to pass the data from the drives to the decoding stage to the GPU to the decklink in the same time. (1/24 in film).

So, having 3 GPU but your drives and the decoding time is poor (slow drives/GPU) does not make sense.
I personally prefer a faster bus/drive, better GPU and one good GPU card if I have to split the money.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Francesco Bollorino

PostSat Jan 04, 2020 4:52 am

waltervolpatto wrote:In my signature you see two 1080ti for a couple of reasons:

Fist, in my super micro board there are 4 slots: one for the Decklink, one for the SAS drive interface (external spinning 48TB) and that leave it with only two slots.

I have two 1080ti (same brand model) because I already have one and I did not swap both. Giving the choice I will have two 2080ti.

There is a triangle of efficiency that encompass:
Throughput tru and from the drives
CPU encoding/decoding
Computation of the frame

At work where the first two are solved (SAN with high efficiency and DPX with practically no decoding time) having multiple GPU (up to 6 in the double decker Supermicro) can be an advantage (although there is a diminished return at one point).

Roughly, within one GPU, the calculated frame need to be executed in 1/24th of a second, with two GPU you have double of that time, with three you have tree time that and so on. Then is the rest of the system that need to pass the data from the drives to the decoding stage to the GPU to the decklink in the same time. (1/24 in film).

So, having 3 GPU but your drives and the decoding time is poor (slow drives/GPU) does not make sense.
I personally prefer a faster bus/drive, better GPU and one good GPU card if I have to split the money.

Dear Walter,
in my plans, in building my first PC for Resolve (after years as MAC user) there are 4 point clear:
a) a good professional motherboard Pcie 4.0 with all I need as connections and a powerfull cooling system
b) a lot of RAM (128GB or more)
c) a very good CPU (for effects most of all) and my choise is AMD 3960 or 3970
d) 3 mighty GPUs ( I dont know at the moment which assuming to choise them after CES 2020)
e) as I have to wait for the right GPU I will buy 1 only GPU with agreement with a kind supplier to return it when the definitive GPUs will be on sale saving my first money spent
Francesco Bollorino

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostSat Jan 04, 2020 3:08 pm

personally i wil skip one gpu, put a good SAS card and make a good 10+TB SSD external raid....

space and speed to get to and from will be your bottleneck at one point
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Francesco Bollorino

PostSun Jan 05, 2020 6:17 am

waltervolpatto wrote:personally i wil skip one gpu, put a good SAS card and make a good 10+TB SSD external raid....

space and speed to get to and from will be your bottleneck at one point

i cant skip the first step with one GPU I do need to buy a 2020GPU solution but I need time as the new GPUS are not on sale today but I guess around June 2020.
Iyou buy a professional motherboard I do think you have all the connectivity you want both internal and external and I will buy a professional motherboard of course
All the component of the build will be definitive and a good SSD will be mandatory of course and possibly with pcie 4.0 connection
Francesco Bollorino

kinvermark

PostSun Jan 05, 2020 4:49 pm

Open question:

Do the current trx40 motherboards offer enough expansion (4 PCIe slots max) to be truly considered
future proof?

Is it maybe worthwhile waiting for motherboards with greater expansion capability?
Windows 10 laptop. Intel i7-10750H, 32GB RAM, Nvidia 4070 ti Super eGPU, SSD disks. Resolve Studio (latest)

Carsten Sellberg

PostSun Jan 05, 2020 7:00 pm

kinvermark wrote:Open question:

Do the current trx40 motherboards offer enough expansion (4 PCIe slots max) to be truly considered
future proof?

Is it maybe worthwhile waiting for motherboards with greater expansion capability?

Hi.

In the next couple of years don't I expect any motherboards to be future proof.

In a recent interview with AMD’s Vice President and CTO Mark Papermaster, did he tell that AMD are on a 12-18 month cadence. So if you buy a motherboard today, do I personally expect, you want to upgrade it in 2 or 3 years. Here is a link to the interview:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15268/an ... at-the-top

But what we can say is, that buying a AMD motherboard with PCIe ver 4.0 is more future proof, than buying a Intel or Apple system with PCIe ver 3.0.

You also ask into 4 PCIe slots max?

I am not sure, if I understand you right. But as I see it, don't all need 4 PCIe ver 4.0 slots on a trx40 motherboard. Specially not, if you buy a one with 3x M.2 NVMe slots and built in RAID.
Here is a link to a AMD RAID Installation Guide:

http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/Man ... nglish.pdf

Finally will I recommend, only to buy what you need today. And then upgrade in 2-3 years time.

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

kinvermark

PostSun Jan 05, 2020 9:14 pm

Hi Carsten... thanks AGAIN for posting useful, helpful information!

Maybe rather than "future proof" I should aim for "as long as possible." :)
It does seem like there are a lot of major technical improvements rolling out over the next year or so.

My concern with "only four" PCIE slots is perhaps unfounded, but here is my thinking:

Two slots used by GPU's, one "wasted" with a Decklink card, leaves only one for future use. The AMD motherboards don't normally include thunderbolt, so that limits things a bit too, given that BM's peripherals seem to like thunderbolt.

I do see that I would not need an add-in RAID card, so that saves a slot. But the 4xNVME add-in card that come with some of the TRX40 motherboards is quite tempting.
Windows 10 laptop. Intel i7-10750H, 32GB RAM, Nvidia 4070 ti Super eGPU, SSD disks. Resolve Studio (latest)

MishaEngel

PostMon Jan 06, 2020 2:01 am

kinvermark wrote:I do see that I would not need an add-in RAID card, so that saves a slot. But the 4xNVME add-in card that come with some of the TRX40 motherboards is quite tempting.

Yes, but how are you going to make use of it?

1 drive
4 in raid 0

When you want more I/O get a 7702P EPYC system.

Francesco Bollorino

PostMon Jan 06, 2020 9:31 am

kinvermark wrote:Hi Carsten... thanks AGAIN for posting useful, helpful information!

Maybe rather than "future proof" I should aim for "as long as possible." :)
It does seem like there are a lot of major technical improvements rolling out over the next year or so.

My concern with "only four" PCIE slots is perhaps unfounded, but here is my thinking:

Two slots used by GPU's, one "wasted" with a Decklink card, leaves only one for future use. The AMD motherboards don't normally include thunderbolt, so that limits things a bit too, given that BM's peripherals seem to like thunderbolt.

I do see that I would not need an add-in RAID card, so that saves a slot. But the 4xNVME add-in card that come with some of the TRX40 motherboards is quite tempting.

in my project of new worakstation the 4 PCIE 4.0 will used 2 for GPUs (at the moment I dont know which) 1 for Thurderbolt 3 card and 1 free for further developments as I will not use DECKLINK being possible di acrtivate the view on one of the 2 monitor set directly with RESOLVE STUDIO 16 (at the moment the monitors could be 2 BENQ 32")
Francesco Bollorino

Francesco Bollorino

PostTue Jan 07, 2020 4:45 am

Carsten Sellberg wrote:

Hi.

Please read what I wrote about it it this thread: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=104643&p=579248&hilit=HBCC#p579248

Regards Carsten.

Sorry to say NO RIGHT NEWS from AMD in the keynote at CES about new mighty GPUs waiting for some annoucment from NVIDIA about 2020 plans...
Francesco Bollorino

MishaEngel

PostTue Jan 07, 2020 11:31 pm

AMD’s Lisa Su: ‘We will have a high-end Navi’
Published: 7th Jan 2020, 20:31

https://videocardz.com/newz/amds-lisa-su-we-will-have-a-high-end-navi

Francesco Bollorino

PostWed Jan 08, 2020 5:42 am

MishaEngel wrote:AMD’s Lisa Su: ‘We will have a high-end Navi’
Published: 7th Jan 2020, 20:31

https://videocardz.com/newz/amds-lisa-su-we-will-have-a-high-end-navi

OK BUT... we have to wait a lot!!
My problem is the replacement of the GPUs inside the new PC and I hope my supplier will wait till september for this I fear not... the alternative will be new NVIDIA 3000 series but again when? I hoped in some more clear data from CES
Francesco Bollorino

Francesco Bollorino

PostSat Feb 01, 2020 8:57 am

My new WINPC gear is on the way.

Here the spec of my build:

Cabinet Cooler Master C700P
Power Supply Corsair AX 1600i Titanium
Motherboard Gigabyte TRX40 Aorus Extreme
Thunderbolt 3 Gigabyte GC Titan Ridge card
CPU AMD Threadripper 3970X
Enermax liqtech 360TR4 Cooler
RAM Corsair Vengeance 3600 4x32
Hard disk SSD 1 tb Corsair MP600
Hard disk SSD 2 tb Corsair MP600
hard disk 8 tb Seagate Iron Wolf for BackUp
MSI Radeon RX5700XT 8Gb as provisional GPU
Monitor Benq PD3200 Designer 32”
Keyboard USB Logitech + Mouse USB Logitech
Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

Opinions?
Last edited by Francesco Bollorino on Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Francesco Bollorino

MishaEngel

PostSat Feb 01, 2020 1:41 pm

Nice rig.
Previous

Return to DaVinci Resolve