Retime Speed vs frame

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Mind and Matter

Retime Speed vs frame

PostThu Nov 21, 2019 3:22 pm

Hey there, I work a TON with retiming clips and I'm wondering if, when I retime a clip, there's away to make the default curve show 'retime speed' instead of 'retime frame'? Having to go into every clip to click the menu and turn off retime frame and turn on retime speed ends up taking a lot time over the course of a video. Ideas? Work arounds? All info greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Andi

rootHog

Re: Retime Speed vs frame

PostSun Apr 19, 2020 4:59 am

Totally agree. I just switched over from Premiere and everything has been great until I got to time re-mapping. It has been a huge let down with Resolve. So many more steps to do what was a pretty clunky process in Premiere. I do speed ramps with big jumps, like 4000% down to 100% and then back up to 4000%. It's really annoying that I have to drag out the view scaling indicator to give me the room do this every time. Why not just automatically adjust once I go beyond 300% or what ever the default view is? Also, sometimes the view scaling doesn't even show up so I have to start to drag up on the curve and then go adjust the scaling then back to adjusting the curve. And if I didn't go up enough I have to go adjust the view again. smh.

Caelin

PostSat Jun 26, 2021 7:06 pm

Hey Black Magic!

I want to make the friendly observation that this post has requested these speed-focused adjustments in 2019, 2020, and now 2021! I'm using DaVinci Resolves Studio 17, and am coming in to second (and third!) the other two user's requests. Please include these features in future updates:

1) Make accessing Retime Speed efficient (it currently takes 4 clicks before any re-timing can occur)

2) Have the view scaling for Retime Speed adjust automatically when the curve of the speed adjustment exceeds the 300% view (I actually didn't realise it was adjustable at all until I read the April 18, 2020 comment!)

And more:

If I have accessed Retime Controls and Retime Speed (which I've done when I was having troubles with scaling), I can only close Retime Speed once I have pressed the X in the top left of Retime Controls. When both are open, the Keyframe icon that closes Retime Speed isn't there, which I've found inconvenient!

Please make Add Speed Point when accessing Retime Controls more efficient.

In Retime Controls, if I adjust the speed of my shot by getting close to the top of the clip where the double sided arrow pops up, <-->, from the right side of the clip it works great. But from the left side, where you need to be in order to adjust the clip's speed is too close to the X button that closes Retime Controls. So the <--> icon pops up, and as soon as I press down, it will always default to assuming I'm trying to hit the X button instead.

Thank you!

Metabob

PostWed Aug 04, 2021 9:12 pm

Caelin wrote:Hey Black Magic!

I want to make the friendly observation that this post has requested these speed-focused adjustments in 2019, 2020, and now 2021! I'm using DaVinci Resolves Studio 17, and am coming in to second (and third!) the other two user's requests. Please include these features in future updates:

1) Make accessing Retime Speed efficient (it currently takes 4 clicks before any re-timing can occur)

2) Have the view scaling for Retime Speed adjust automatically when the curve of the speed adjustment exceeds the 300% view (I actually didn't realise it was adjustable at all until I read the April 18, 2020 comment!)

Thank you!

Absolutely second that. There is actually plenty of other threads about this exact topic here.

By the way, I have found two major tricks when doing speed ramping in resolve:

- Use "Trim Edit Mode" (T Key) to avoid overwriting other clips
- In the keyboard customization page search for "retime curve" and add a shortcut because there is none set by default. I used "ctrl+shift+r" so I only need one shortcut to open retime curve, but unfortunately I still have to activate "retime speed" instead of the weird default "retime frame" only, that no one seems to use or understand.

Pircho

PostSat Dec 10, 2022 5:37 pm

It is ridiculous that 2022 is almost over, and they still have not done anything about this.
Why??? Just let us change defaults somewhere in the setting, or make it learn the most common or last choices... NO ONE WANTS RETIME FRAME, especially with that lame curve editor.
2) Menu / Change Speed> dropdown: Why can't I just add values manually? There is 100 150 200 400 800... What if I want 600? I have to try to align the curve between pixels...
I think the developers dont really edit videoclips / edit at all... maybe for broadcast only.
3) How come if I add markers and retime the clip, the markers dont slip according to change in speed?!
Dont tell me these are features.
4) Speed ramp 0-100...those stairs :D :D :D it is a DIY solution guys - when I saw it first time I thought it is something temporary. I have to use fusion (which I love BTW) all the time for precise retiming, e.g. you have to be on an exact frame in an exact time...
Also keyframes does not stick: if you reframe your clip, and decide to retime it, you can start it again - unless you create a compound clip.
BTW can anyone release the mouse button in curve editor keeping the dot in the same place?!

C.T. Bell

PostTue Apr 18, 2023 12:56 am

Rejoice! This has been added in 18.5 Beta

Thanks, BMD Team!
Resolve 18.0.4
Ryzen 2700x - 8 core
GTX 1070ti 8gb
64 Gig ram @
1tb WD SN750 NVME SSD
Win 11

Return to DaVinci Resolve