Transcoding 10 bit MXF file to 8 bit to edit on Resolve free

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Carlos Felipe

Transcoding 10 bit MXF file to 8 bit to edit on Resolve free

PostFri Nov 22, 2019 2:07 am

Hi everyone. I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me with one question. I have been working for the past four months (off and on...school/work) on a project I am editing on DaVinci Resolve 16 free (non studio) version. So far I've been loving Resolve, but since I downloaded the last update (16.1.1) I have been unable to work with files shot on a Canon C300 (10 bit MXF format, H.264/Intra-frame, 3840 x 2160, 23.98P, bit rate of 410 mbps VBR, Cinema Gamut, Canon LOG, YUV 4:2:2 10 bit, LPCM 4ch, 48 kHz, 24 bit).

At first I wasn't able to tell why my media was appearing offline, and why my other files shot on a Sony FS5 (8 bit MXF) were working properly compared to the C300's. Upon further research on this forum, I found out that the free version of resolve won't be supporting 10 bit formats, and to continue working I will have to purchase the studio version. This is totally understandable and I am truly grateful with Blackmagic offering such a powerful piece of software completely free. I would buy the studio version if I could, but I am unable to do so now as I am quite literally moving to a new continent in January next year, so I have to save money for now. Also, I will be hopefully purchasing a Cinema Pocket 6K next summer, so I don't want to buy the software now if I will be getting it with the camera later. All this rambling is to ask if anyone knows of a way to transcode those 10 bit files that are still on my project bins and timelines to 8 bit, so I can continue working on Resolve, even if I will be losing some of that color information from the 10 bit files. Is it possible or should I use some other software like media encoder (preferably not) to transcode the files to 8 bit and then re-link them to Resolve. I am very new to DaVinci, so I apologize for the lack of experience. Thank you very much for your help and have a great night!

Michael_Andreas

Re: Transcoding 10 bit MXF file to 8 bit to edit on Resolve

PostFri Nov 22, 2019 4:49 am

I believe that if VLC Player will play the file, a program called Handbrake will transcode it to h.264. These are free programs, so it won't cost you anything to try. The problem may be in adjusting log footage to a Rec.709 like profile.

Jim Simon

PostFri Nov 22, 2019 2:52 pm

My choice would be to rent Premiere Pro for a month ($32) and use Adobe Media Encoder to create Cineform YUV 10 bit files. They work fine in the free version of Resolve.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Carlos Felipe

PostFri Nov 22, 2019 6:08 pm

Michael_Andreas wrote:I believe that if VLC Player will play the file, a program called Handbrake will transcode it to h.264. These are free programs, so it won't cost you anything to try. The problem may be in adjusting log footage to a Rec.709 like profile.

Thank you very much I tried using Handbrake but the file formats it exports to don't seem to be on par to the original file as I want to preserve the file quality as much as I can, just with an 8 bit profile. Also, for some reason even VLC can't play them.
Last edited by Carlos Felipe on Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Carlos Felipe

PostFri Nov 22, 2019 6:09 pm

Jim Simon wrote:My choice would be to rent Premiere Pro for a month ($32) and use Adobe Media Encoder to create Cineform YUV 10 bit files. They work fine in the free version of Resolve.

Thank you very much! That's what I am doing now. I will try and transcode them to that file format. If I can keep the 10 bit profile and not lose much or any quality, that will be amazing! Thanks a lot!

paul_WCP

PostFri Nov 22, 2019 6:13 pm

I recommend getting comfortable with ffmpeg.

And while you are already transcoding you could consider a different codec than h264 for better editing performance.

Jim Simon

PostFri Nov 22, 2019 6:17 pm

Carlos Felipe wrote:not lose much or any quality

Quality level 4 will be visually identical to the originals. You might even be able to get away with 3.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Carlos Felipe

PostSat Nov 23, 2019 5:15 am

paul_WCP wrote:I recommend getting comfortable with ffmpeg.

And while you are already transcoding you could consider a different codec than h264 for better editing performance.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions, Paul! I'll keep that in mind. Is ffmpeg also better for uploading it to a Vimeo or Youtube?

Carlos Felipe

PostSat Nov 23, 2019 5:16 am

Jim Simon wrote:
Carlos Felipe wrote:not lose much or any quality

Quality level 4 will be visually identical to the originals. You might even be able to get away with 3.

Quality level 4 it is! Thanks!

Return to DaVinci Resolve