Source & Timeline Viewer

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

yongsua1989

Source & Timeline Viewer

PostWed Dec 04, 2019 3:02 pm

Hi, I am very new to DaVinci Resolve. May I know how to open dual viewers in Da Vinci because I can't find any options to open source & timeline viewers to play them side by side. I am forced to use single mode. Besides, I need to know how to navigate to "Show Zoomed Audio Waveform" as I can't get it by following the tutorials from the books or manuals. Thanks.

Frank Engel

Re: Source & Timeline Viewer

PostWed Dec 04, 2019 3:58 pm

Are you on a laptop with a relatively small screen by any chance?

The UI adapts to the screen size based on what panels are open; with smaller laptop screens there may simply not be enough room for everything to fit at once, so Resolve adapts to squeeze in what it can.

If you have bins, properties, or other panels open on the left or right side of the window, you could try hiding them to see if there is enough space for the viewers.

Jim Simon

PostWed Dec 04, 2019 5:22 pm

You are on the Edit page? I believe Cut is constrained to one multipurpose viewer.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

yongsua1989

PostThu Dec 05, 2019 1:11 am

Jim Simon wrote:You are on the Edit page? I believe Cut is constrained to one multipurpose viewer.

Yup, you got it. The whole time I was on the Cut page until I clicked on Edit page by curiosity, it literally took me a couple of hours to figure out that. :roll: Thanks for your reply.

yongsua1989

PostThu Dec 05, 2019 1:20 am

Frank Engel wrote:Are you on a laptop with a relatively small screen by any chance?

The UI adapts to the screen size based on what panels are open; with smaller laptop screens there may simply not be enough room for everything to fit at once, so Resolve adapts to squeeze in what it can.

If you have bins, properties, or other panels open on the left or right side of the window, you could try hiding them to see if there is enough space for the viewers.

I have a 19.5 inch standalone monitor but I am unsure if that's relatively "small". At first, I literally thought that my screen size might be "too small" for Resolve to display properly and much bigger size of monitors might be needed but I got my dual viewers when I clicked on the Edit Page by curiosity. It took me a couple of hours to figure out that. Thanks for your reply anyway.

Jim Simon

PostThu Dec 05, 2019 2:26 pm

yongsua1989 wrote:I am unsure if that's relatively "small".

I think it is. I recommend the following as usable minimums.

24" at 1080

28" at 1440

32" at 2160
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Return to DaVinci Resolve