Keyframes softness change one by one or is there another way

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

mastix

Keyframes softness change one by one or is there another way

PostWed Dec 11, 2019 4:37 pm

Hello:

Everytime I track a power window I usually have to refine the track by the frame. I cannot find anywhere where I kind change the softness of all the keyframes at once and not one by one that takes forever if you have 30+ keyframes. If you forget one you have a change with no softening that can potentially ruin a whole shot. Do you know a way to change the softness of all manual keyframes at once or if not why is such a simple thing not implemented as this is really a time saver.......
Windows 10 64 bits
Davinci Resolve 18.6 Studio
INTEL 8700
32 RAM
NVIDIA RTX 3090

Jim Simon

Re: Keyframes softness change one by one or is there another

PostWed Dec 11, 2019 6:21 pm

Softness of a keyframe?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

xunile

PostWed Dec 11, 2019 6:24 pm

Jim Simon wrote:Softness of a keyframe?

I think he means the softness of the Power Window.
Win 10 Home | Intel i7 - 10700f 64 GB 1 TB GB SSD 2 TB SSD
RTX-3060 12 GB | Resolve Studio 18.6.6| Fusion Studio 18.6.6

Win 10 Home | Intel Core I7-7700HQ 32 GB 1 TB NVME SSD 1 TB SATA SSD
GTX-1060-6GB | Resolve 17.4.6

Jim Simon

PostWed Dec 11, 2019 6:26 pm

But wouldn't that remain constant over the track? Or with changes to any given point of the Power Window?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

mastix

PostWed Dec 11, 2019 9:18 pm

Sorry if I didn't explain it correctly. If I use a power window and track a movement usually the track is not perfect and I manually keyframe the track. If I want to set the softness of the powergrade at every keyframe point it works perfectly but sometimes I want to change the value and I don't want to move one by one and change the value. it would be great to be able to select all the keyframes of the power window track and change the value for all at once.

I have not found out how but that would be an awesome future to implement in a future version and should be easy. Just select all the keyframes and set the selected value for all.

I hope I made myself more clear this time :)
Windows 10 64 bits
INTEL 8700
32 RAM
NVIDIA RTX 3090

Jim Simon

PostWed Dec 11, 2019 9:19 pm

To my thinking, the softness should be set up before doing the track, in which case it follows through to all keyframes, which can then be tweaked while retaining their softness setting.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

George Deierling

PostWed Dec 11, 2019 10:02 pm

in the tracker window select Clip.
Then any adjustment applies to all keyframes.

mastix

PostThu Dec 12, 2019 7:22 am

Unfortunately going to clip and change the general value does not affect those single frames that got changed manually

If you select the softness before the track then all the frames inherit the established softness. If you forget that and want to do it later it seems that going back to frame and changing it to desired value works if you have not given any specific sofness value to individual frames . If you have you need to go to those frames and change the value manually. In that case it would be great to be able to select ALL the keyframes and change to a desired value independently if any was selected before on a frame by frame basis...........
Just a simple mouse drag to select all the keyframes and changing it to desired result would be fantastic.
Windows 10 64 bits
INTEL 8700
32 RAM
NVIDIA RTX 3090

Marc Wielage

PostThu Dec 12, 2019 7:44 am

mastix wrote:Unfortunately going to clip and change the general value does not affect those single frames that got changed manually.

The best answer I can think of is: don't do this. It's a good lesson to learn.

I generally track the window first, then if I need more keyframes for more precision, then go to manual mode and change where necessary. And then go through and adjust overall size and softness in Clip mode, and then refine in Frame mode when it makes sense.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

mastix

PostThu Dec 12, 2019 5:50 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:
mastix wrote:Unfortunately going to clip and change the general value does not affect those single frames that got changed manually.

The best answer I can think of is: don't do this. It's a good lesson to learn.

I generally track the window first, then if I need more keyframes for more precision, then go to manual mode and change where necessary. And then go through and adjust overall size and softness in Clip mode, and then refine in Frame mode when it makes sense.

Yes that it the perfect way to go with present Davinci, As you said try to only change parameters in clip mode and only in frame if absolutely necessary. But it would be great that if the future could improve this with overriding a group of frames without going one by one if they have been individually adjusted for whatever reasons, sometimes a general softness just doesn't cut it. In any case thanks for the best workflow description with Davinci 16.
Windows 10 64 bits
INTEL 8700
32 RAM
NVIDIA RTX 3090

Jim Simon

PostThu Dec 12, 2019 6:03 pm

mastix wrote:If you select the softness before the track then all the frames inherit the established softness.

Exactly! :D

If you forget that

Take this as a lesson learned and don't.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

George Deierling

PostSat Dec 14, 2019 8:09 pm

Change power window to Bezier might help. It has inside and outside polygons for precise softness as well as overall softness.
Still another approach is to keep the power window in its own node, then add another separate node to blur it, and then feed the key output to the correction node.

Marc Wielage

PostSun Dec 15, 2019 9:33 am

George Deierling wrote:Change power window to Bezier might help. It has inside and outside polygons for precise softness as well as overall softness.

Be very careful with this. If you attempt to adjust overall outside or inside softness with a Bezier shape, the softness will tend to "pop" to a specific level all around the shape, which is disastrous if the softness shape is precisely keyframed around a given object or face.

Still another approach is to keep the power window in its own node, then add another separate node to blur it, and then feed the key output to the correction node.

That would be another way, but I don't think it will save time or provide any more flexibility. The window still has to be tracked, moved, shaped, and the edges blurred, and the same problems will exist whether it's an Alpha Key or whether it's just in one node.

It is interesting to note that the windows in Fusion behave differently, and in some cases, they're more precise and more logical (and I think the drawing tools are easier to deal with).
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

flyingpickles

PostFri Oct 23, 2020 9:45 am

Hello I have the exact same problem... I dont understand way all the parameters you can animate is baked in into one "parameter"??? In this case PowerCurve. I masked out a "hole" in the midle of the screen and it is changing pretty much from frame to fram so I had to do it manually on each frame like 100 frames. Then I want the softness to change smothly as the hole is growing and shrinking. This would be just so easy if there had been keyframe for all parameters you could animate. Just make a change when the hole starts to grow and one when it starts to shrink just as you do it in AE. Now I have to calculate what each value should be and then change them one by one... Please fix this.

Best regards: flyingpickles

birdoperator

PostSun Nov 29, 2020 6:00 pm

flyingpickles wrote:Hello I have the exact same problem... I dont understand way all the parameters you can animate is baked in into one "parameter"??? In this case PowerCurve. I masked out a "hole" in the midle of the screen and it is changing pretty much from frame to fram so I had to do it manually on each frame like 100 frames. Then I want the softness to change smothly as the hole is growing and shrinking. This would be just so easy if there had been keyframe for all parameters you could animate. Just make a change when the hole starts to grow and one when it starts to shrink just as you do it in AE. Now I have to calculate what each value should be and then change them one by one... Please fix this.

Best regards: flyingpickles

It's because the color page in Resolve is a color grading application, **not an animation and graphics effects program** like AE. The tracking tool is streamlined for a completely different end result—to apply grades onto tracked objects. It helped me to realize that they are not "masks" in the traditional AE sense, but rather they are windows into which adjustments are applied. You are not adding layers with masks, you are opening windows and keys and applying nodes and changes within those windows and keys. It's all in reverse.

If you follow the workflow that Marc outlined above: track the window, add additional keyframes if needed, then apply clip mode adjustments, then frame mode adjustments where it makes sense, the tool has all of the functionality you need. But it involves thinking backwards to an AE workflow.

Once it clicks you have this amazing "Aha!" moment and it all opens up :)

HermannTheGerman

PostThu Jan 14, 2021 2:29 pm

Hey, I might have a similar Problem.

When I'm done tracking a Curve in Frame Mode (frame by frame and adjusting almost all of them),
I go back to the beginning of the Clip, change the Tracker to Clip Mode and adjust the Softness.

Only to find my Power Curve getting all weird at some point in the Clip. It either freezes at some Point but still follows the Object I tracked, or parts of it go out of place (sometimes even just for one Frame, that going back into position for the next frame and then back out again)

I can't find any logic to this or repeating patterns.

Is there a "feature" I'm missing or anything?

Thank you for any help!

ksilva

PostSun Jun 06, 2021 8:32 am

mastix wrote:Sorry if I didn't explain it correctly. If I use a power window and track a movement usually the track is not perfect and I manually keyframe the track. If I want to set the softness of the powergrade at every keyframe point it works perfectly but sometimes I want to change the value and I don't want to move one by one and change the value. it would be great to be able to select all the keyframes of the power window track and change the value for all at once.

I have not found out how but that would be an awesome future to implement in a future version and should be easy. Just select all the keyframes and set the selected value for all.

I hope I made myself more clear this time :)

Has anyone found a solution to this problem. I just burned about two hours trying to solve this issue. I came across this post after doing a search online. This is so annoying! :x :cry:

Adam Janz

Can you animate properties in Power Windows separately?

PostWed Jun 16, 2021 10:11 pm

Hi everyone, it would seem by these posts that even the latest version of Resolve does NOT let you animate different properties in a power window (such as Opacity, Soft, etc) separately from each other using their own keyframe channel... rather, all properties still share the same keyframe channel? I had assumed that properties could be animated individually, but after setting keyframes on opacity, I realized the softness could not be animated separately. Thankfully I only had a handful of keys set, but for a larger roto, this would be a disaster. Does anyone know if any version of Fusion makes use of power windows where properties can be animated individually? I haven't used Fusion before. Thanks
Heaven Inspired Movies
https://heaveninspiredmovies.wixsite.com/ministry

Adam Janz 3D
https://adamjanz3d.wixsite.com/design

George Deierling

PostFri Jun 18, 2021 10:42 pm

If you really need this, you could:
Use a separate node just for the power window
add annother node, pipe the blue channel to the green, and now you can use that node to animate blur or anything else you'd like
Then pipe the green output to the blue mask input of the node that needs the mask

ksilva

PostSat Jun 19, 2021 1:02 am

George Deierling wrote:If you really need this, you could:
Use a separate node just for the power window
add annother node, pipe the blue channel to the green, and now you can use that node to animate blur or anything else you'd like
Then pipe the green output to the blue mask input of the node that needs the mask

Can you please drop a screenshot of what you are explaining here. Sorry I am more of i visual type of learner. Thank you in advance!

George Deierling

PostSat Jun 19, 2021 8:30 pm

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (28.84 KiB) Viewed 4601 times

Adam Janz

PostSun Jun 20, 2021 1:16 am

Thank you George for sharing that potential workaround. I did not know it was possible to pipe the blue alpha output into the green RGB input, that's very useful to know!
Heaven Inspired Movies
https://heaveninspiredmovies.wixsite.com/ministry

Adam Janz 3D
https://adamjanz3d.wixsite.com/design

BenBrix

PostSat Oct 07, 2023 10:52 am

I couldn't believe that it was not possible to change the softness of all keyframes.
But now I talked to a friend who's a full time colorist and he showed me how it works.

I made a little video. sorry for the bad sound quality:

Hackintosh: 13900KF - RX6900XT - 64GB RAM - Intensity Pro 4K
Macbook: M2 MAX 32GB RAM

Return to DaVinci Resolve