Selecting favorites to give to editor

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

woofy75

Selecting favorites to give to editor

PostSat Jan 11, 2020 7:37 am

I love DaVinci Resolve but I can't find a way to do something that was fundamental to my process in Final Cut X which is making a selection of a clip and marking it as a favourite and handing these favourites to an editor to work with. Is there any way of doing this in bins? Also, is there a keyboard shortcut to move a clip to the timeline instead of dragging it there? Thanks!

Marc Wielage

Re: Selecting favorites to give to editor

PostSat Jan 11, 2020 10:00 am

You can use metadata to enter in favorite information, or you could Flag the clips you want to mark as favorites, then render those out by choosing the Flag color in the Clips pulldown menu. All this is covered in the manual.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Brad Hurley

PostSat Jan 11, 2020 10:32 am

The two aspects of favorites in Final Cut that make them so powerful are 1) you can have multiple favorites per clip, and 2) there's a filter already set up for them, allowing you to immediately see all the favorites in your project, or you can apply multiple filters to see just the favorites that include a particular keyword or that were from a particular camera, etc.

There are a couple of ways of creating the equivalent of Final Cut's favorites in Resolve.

1. Subclips: open a clip from the media pool into the Source Viewer and select in and out points. If you now hit the keyboard shortcut option-b, it will turn that in/out range into a subclip. You can add metadata and flags to that subclip just like any other clip. And of course you can create multiple subclips per clip. The main caveat with subclips is that you have to remember to set the in and out points a little wider than what you actually need, otherwise you'll have no handles. If you forget to do this, no worries: just right-click on the subclip in the media pool and choose "edit subclip" and you can add handles that way.

By default, subclips have the word "subclip" added to their clip names, which allows you to easily discover them through filtered searches. All subclips with the keyword "beach," for example, are easily discoverable and you can even set up smart bins with those filters so the bins populate automatically. Create a smart bin to search for all clips with the word "subclip" in their clip name and you instantly have the equivalent of Final Cut's "Favorites" collection. All your selects for the entire project will be in that smart bin.

2. Duration markers: You can convert any in-out range to a duration marker. There didn't used to be a keyboard shortcut for this, but now there is: shift-command-m. Like subclips, you can have multiple duration markers per clip. You can't really add metadata to a duration marker, but you can give it a name, a description, and assign marker keywords to it; when you assign marker keywords a smart bin for those keywords will automatically be created (or if you use existing keywords the duration marker will be added to those keyword smart bins). One caveat: I always use the media pool in list view rather than thumbnail view; I learned yesterday here on the forum that if you use thumbnail view the smart bins for marker keywords will appear empty. So if you use duration markers with marker keywords, be sure to use list view in the media pool. I like working that way anyway; you can enable a filmstrip above the list, similar to Final Cut's list view.

Of the two options described above, I think subclips are the simplest and fastest.

As for keyboard shortcuts for moving clips to the timeline instead of dragging, of course there are: you can see the keyboard shortcuts in the Edit menu. If you find those too non-intuitive, you can duplicate most of the keyboard shortcuts in Final Cut by going to the Davinci Resolve menu (just to the right of the Apple menu) and choosing Keyboard Customization. In the presets drop-down menu at the top right of the keyboard customization window, you'll see an option for Final Cut Pro X.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Jim Simon

PostSat Jan 11, 2020 3:35 pm

I find this a worthwhile first step when moving to Resolve.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... e/training
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

woofy75

PostSun Jan 12, 2020 7:57 am

Brad Hurley wrote:The two aspects of favorites in Final Cut that make them so powerful are 1) you can have multiple favorites per clip, and 2) there's a filter already set up for them, allowing you to immediately see all the favorites in your project, or you can apply multiple filters to see just the favorites that include a particular keyword or that were from a particular camera, etc.

There are a couple of ways of creating the equivalent of Final Cut's favorites in Resolve.

1. Subclips: open a clip from the media pool into the Source Viewer and select in and out points. If you now hit the keyboard shortcut option-b, it will turn that in/out range into a subclip. You can add metadata and flags to that subclip just like any other clip. And of course you can create multiple subclips per clip. The main caveat with subclips is that you have to remember to set the in and out points a little wider than what you actually need, otherwise you'll have no handles. If you forget to do this, no worries: just right-click on the subclip in the media pool and choose "edit subclip" and you can add handles that way.

By default, subclips have the word "subclip" added to their clip names, which allows you to easily discover them through filtered searches. All subclips with the keyword "beach," for example, are easily discoverable and you can even set up smart bins with those filters so the bins populate automatically. Create a smart bin to search for all clips with the word "subclip" in their clip name and you instantly have the equivalent of Final Cut's "Favorites" collection. All your selects for the entire project will be in that smart bin.

2. Duration markers: You can convert any in-out range to a duration marker. There didn't used to be a keyboard shortcut for this, but now there is: shift-command-m. Like subclips, you can have multiple duration markers per clip. You can't really add metadata to a duration marker, but you can give it a name, a description, and assign marker keywords to it; when you assign marker keywords a smart bin for those keywords will automatically be created (or if you use existing keywords the duration marker will be added to those keyword smart bins). One caveat: I always use the media pool in list view rather than thumbnail view; I learned yesterday here on the forum that if you use thumbnail view the smart bins for marker keywords will appear empty. So if you use duration markers with marker keywords, be sure to use list view in the media pool. I like working that way anyway; you can enable a filmstrip above the list, similar to Final Cut's list view.

Of the two options described above, I think subclips are the simplest and fastest.

As for keyboard shortcuts for moving clips to the timeline instead of dragging, of course there are: you can see the keyboard shortcuts in the Edit menu. If you find those too non-intuitive, you can duplicate most of the keyboard shortcuts in Final Cut by going to the Davinci Resolve menu (just to the right of the Apple menu) and choosing Keyboard Customization. In the presets drop-down menu at the top right of the keyboard customization window, you'll see an option for Final Cut Pro X.

Thanks so much for this, I've searched and searched and just couldn't find a workaround. This is perfect. For the keyboard shortcut I've assigned E to append to end of timeline but when I press it nothing happens? I've attached a screen shot of the setting?
Attachments
Screenshot 2020-01-12 at 07.54.57.png
Screenshot 2020-01-12 at 07.54.57.png (58.77 KiB) Viewed 3401 times

Brad Hurley

PostSun Jan 12, 2020 12:09 pm

woofy75 wrote:For the keyboard shortcut I've assigned E to append to end of timeline but when I press it nothing happens? I've attached a screen shot of the setting?

I think that's because "e" is already reserved by the application (for an extend edit). Looks like control-e is available (option-e and command-e are already reserved for other uses), so you could assign control-e as the shortcut for appending to the end of the timeline.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

woofy75

PostMon Jan 13, 2020 9:38 am

Brad Hurley wrote:
woofy75 wrote:For the keyboard shortcut I've assigned E to append to end of timeline but when I press it nothing happens? I've attached a screen shot of the setting?

I think that's because "e" is already reserved by the application (for an extend edit). Looks like control-e is available (option-e and command-e are already reserved for other uses), so you could assign control-e as the shortcut for appending to the end of the timeline.

Yep that did it, thanks! Officially DaVinci is now better than Final Cut X in all things.

flipnap

PostWed Jun 16, 2021 11:30 am

I too was looking for this answer. Been in resolve for a while but have a big job with a ton of dailies and never needed this much control yet. was actually surprised by the few snarky comments (apologies if they weren't, but they sure came across as RTFM). so thanks for the help and im really glad I stumbled onto this thread.

Return to DaVinci Resolve