Resolve Clean Feed - UHD output is smaller than monitor

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

MikeyRockwell

Resolve Clean Feed - UHD output is smaller than monitor

PostFri Jan 17, 2020 9:16 pm

*Issue resolved while typing this - solution below*

Having a weird issue with the clean feed feature.

I have the workstation connected to an LG C9 TV as a client/editor playback monitor. When the TV is set to 3840x2160, the clean feed video frame is roughly 1/4 the size of the screen (though bigger than 1080 and smaller than 2560x1440), with the regular desktop background taking up the rest. It functions normally, just is obviously not displaying correctly.

When I switch the TV to 2560x1440 the clean feed is the correct size and displays fine. Footage tested is 3840x2160 UHD.

I've looked through the scaling settings in the project settings and also the playback section of the user preferences. None seem to have any impact on the size of the output signal through the clean feed.
Also the playout is the same whether viewing source clips or timeline clips, they all are coming up at a smaller than full res playback.

Turns out that the playback was being affected by the Windows scaling setting (which was set to 175%). So I guess the clean feed was scaled down by 175%??

Anyway setting the scaling to 100% fixed the issue initially, even better - setting the Resolve app scaling to be determined by Application rather than System allowed for Windows to stay on 175%.

Those settings are found in compatibility of the application file itself in Windows.

SamHakes

Re: Resolve Clean Feed - UHD output is smaller than monitor

PostMon Apr 13, 2020 1:52 pm

Hi Mikey,

I'm having this exact same problem. Thanks for posting this. I have Windows 10 with one UHD display and one 1080HD display. What are the specific settings you used to get override the windows scaling? The problem.

Here's how my program currently looks...

I went into the application's compatibility properties and checked "Disable fullscreen optimizations"

My UHD screen is now full screen, great, but my HD program screen is all crunched together, it looks like this...

If I set my UHD screen to scale to 100%...

Then everything looks good in Resolve...

However, it's really hard to use any other program because they are so tiny. If I make my UHD screen HD resolution, it also solves the problem, but I want to monitor in 4K. Please let me know if you have any insights!
Sam Hakes
Director/Producer
Red Arrow Creative
redarrowcreative.com
linkedin.com/in/samhakes

Return to DaVinci Resolve